Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Oh yeah...... love the bikes

Guess I'm a certifried bike freak:freak: Did a buncha years mountain biking, then commuting back 'n forth to work. Love riding in traffic, but nobody ever told me to "go play in traffic" :rolleyes::p Just made a fixie (fixed gear) and got a couple cruiser/chopper types I'm working on:) Getting ready to hit the rails to trails on my GIANT cross breed shortly....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Guess I'm a certifried bike freak:freak: Did a buncha years mountain biking, then commuting back 'n forth to work. Love riding in traffic, but nobody ever told me to "go play in traffic" :rolleyes::p Just made a fixie (fixed gear) and got a couple cruiser/chopper types I'm working on:) Getting ready to hit the rails to trails on my GIANT cross breed shortly....
hey!nice bikes!heres a couple of mine this first one is a 1938 phillips camelback with sturmey archer 3 speedw/drum brake and a front drum brake!the chopper i built from an old raliegh folder

·
Registered
599 Posts
:cool: Nice bikes (just about any old bike is nice:)) Chopper looks like a nice rider. Love the Camelback! I gotta get me one of those Sturmey Archer 3 speed hubs-- I'll even settle for a coaster brake. Just too kool how it looks like you left the 'patina' on the Camelback frame and cleaned up/painted just the fenders:thumbsup: Interesting handlebars on it too.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
those are the original bars as far as i know.the fenders were still solid,but covered in rust,it looked great as a rustbucket,but when i had the wheels built i figured what the hey?brushed on tremclad,lol!it weighs a ton.the chopper rides awesome and sometimes i put bmx pegs on the back and coast down big hills standing on the pegs,just for fun.original wienman long reach calipers,and bmx wheels instead of the goofy british1X1&3/8 wheels.ny son especially likes to stand on the chopper and hold onto the apehangers and i ll sit on the seat behind him on the bike trails

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
hey schwinster btw are they custom frames?you should check out a local chopper gang here,ac/bc in victoria.theyre on facebook.really cool and family fun!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hey Slotnewbie:) Krazy kool build there-- looks HEAVY! Love where they put that brake lever. I'll have to try and check out the ac/bc. I'm on RatRodBike.com as CapnUNITarian. Haven't been there for awhile-- awesome bikes on there.

As for my frames--- nope, no custom. My PERP is, from what I can determine, an EVAN's from the mid '50s. I found it about 12 years ago-- some guy was riding it, his Grandad had bought it for his Dad, an 'all in the family' bike:) I bought it for $20, brought it home and took it apart-- just got around to rebuilding it in the last few months. Hoping to fab up some dropout extenders to move the back wheel back, lowering the frame at the same time. That's the bike I want the 3speed coaster hub for-- put a crazy shifter on from down by the BB up to top tube/tank area.

Just got the OCC from my LHS 'junk' pile. Needs a new crank arm-- no problem, I got lots of 'em here. Cool thing about the OCC is the rear of the frame-- rear wheel bolts into a plate welded between the chainstays and seatstays-- see the picture-- and I plan on moving that plate back to lower the frame, and more importantly move the wheel back so I can move the seat back, so I get the proper leg extension to the pedals. Kool thing about my 26" PERP right now is that the seat is sitting almost on the tire-- it rubs when I ride it:cool::thumbsup: Wouldn't mind having the 3speed coaster on the OCC either.

I'm trying to trick my bikes out without doing any welding. If I need any welding done, there's a motorcycle chopper shop nearby-- 'STEEL CITY CHOPPERS'. Probably a good thing I don't have a welder:rolleyes: I'd go crazy with the bikes-- LOL

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
hey!really cool dropouts on that frame!yeah i am sure you could do a cut and paste,lol!you could probably do a bolt on dropout arrangement if you dont want to weld it.(?)check out the atomic zombie chopper site they do some great stuff aswell!rubber side down!i will post a pic of my 1960's ccm tandem today too,for fun

·
Registered
599 Posts
There were two choppers in the 'junk' pile at the LHS-- my OCC, and a Schwinn. (owner of the LHS says chopper bikes aren't 'practical'- LOL) Soon as I saw the rear dropouts and those fakey 'exhaust pipes' on the OCC :p the choice was easy! Yeah, don't think it'd be too hard to bolt on some new dropouts back where I want them. I've already done the 'cut and paste' to both my PERP and the OCC-- on the computer:rolleyes: No problem!

'Atomic Zombie Choppers' :cool: I like 'em already!

Looking forward to pics of your CCM. Buddy of mine scored a '30's something CCM for $40 awhile back-- totally rideable too. Don't think I"ve seen a CCM tandem yet.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
hey schwinnster still need to take pics of the tandem but heres a chopper someone gave me for my son!

it was donated to me by mike the bike at angel chopper bike club when he inducted me into the chopper gang.cool,huh?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Whoa! Too cool! I love the V-brake on those things. You got a real project there:cool: Looks like the other chopper that was at my local bike shop-- the one I didn't buy. Think it had a 4" rear wheel/tire on it. I don't like the seat on those-- just me maybe, but just don't like the looks of it.
Do they give everybody a bike at ACBC when they induct them?:confused::rolleyes::cool: Looking forward to seeing what you do with it:)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
they are very cool people who work on donations,and have a real family oriented thing going on.these kids are putting their heart and soul into these builds,and the adults too!their recent tshirt promo has a list of all the rock star bikes they have built and/or donated to the various musicians,favorites of the kids and the parents.these bikes get donated to the musicians or organizations they were built for and the kids get to meet their idols!tomorrow is a chopper ride and the avril leviegn bike!another chopper,of course,lol.pretty cool people,they gave me one for my son cause mike s son is five and rides a chopper with training wheels!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Very interesting rickshaw. Looks like the seat/frame/unit is almost centered over a short head tube. Looks very restorable as well.

Really like that Monarch! The bare metal and blue look so cool together like that! I have to do some looking, check my Monarch's serial number-- for some reason I'm thinking mine may be early '50s or even late '40s. Your friends has got to be newer than mine. Looks like mine was originally blue, but someone painted it with white house paint. I'll have to get around to stripping it one of these days.....

Love the chopper with training wheels! Bikes and family-- what could be more natural?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
they are seriously cool people.mike is a fabricator and body man for a living but has taught these kids all he can and the other adults too,are fully hands on to teach these kids!and they are responsible for every aspect of these theme bikes!the adults give training and guidance where needed but ultimately its the kids who guide the builds!i cant help but want to spread the word!ac/bc has some great shots on their website,and these kids are proud of what theyve done with these bikes!and why not,eh?you don't see this kind of dedication every day from this age group!

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just checked in on the AC/BC website-- TOO COOL! Love their logo:thumbsup:, and the whole idea even more! Really neat about Rob Zombie's appreciating they're giving him a bike-- kind of sad that he never had one before.

I used to coach my son's soccer team, and I know how kids can be taught all kinds of life lessons, no matter what the activity. So cool, years later, to run into some of 'my' kids and see how I had some good influence on them. Looks like AC/BC is shaping a bunch of kids into good, productive, and caring adults-- as they build some killer bike choppers! Thanks for letting me know:thumbsup:

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks Neil. Looks a little 'older' than a '60s bike, but then I'm a lot older myself-- LOL! Must be the rear fender making it look 'older'. Looks comfy. Is it ridden? Looks very ridable-- love the horn:thumbsup::)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts