Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I could've just put "SEX" in the subject line, but I didn't want to get myself kicked off the boards.馃榿

Seriously, I pulled my olde Lunar Models 1/35 scale Jupiter II kit out of mothballs and discovered to my dismay that the instructions were missing. The kit's been sitting in my stash for well over 30 years, and I'm thinking that's about time to build the thing. So instructions, even just a scan of them, would be appreciated if anyone can help out.
Thanks in advance!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
O Mighty Moderator,

That's exactly what I must have done. The only excuse I can offer for such an egregious mistake is that my formative years were spent in the public school system. That would coarsen anyone's use of the English language, nest-Ce pas?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
sliuman,

What alpink said. Thank you so much for your scans! I have the first version of the Jupiter II kit and, although it's deceptively simple, I prefer to have the instructions and so avoid a lot of mistakes. It's interesting to see how much more detail Lunar Models added to the kit in the second iteration - for example, I didn't know about the nine attitude thrusters until I saw them mentioned in the ARA Press "No Place to Hide" book just last year. I think I purchased my kit in the late '80s; it's still a daunting kit!

I have the interior kit and the instructions for it, but thanks for sending them anyway (never hurts to have a backup!). Lunar Models eventually came out with a dedicated Fusion Core/Landing Legs set. I've been thinking about putting it up for sale on eBay, because the LED Fusion Core kits that are available now are far easier to deal with than LM's motor-driven resin bar. On the other hand, the landing legs would be easier to use than scratchbuilding those indicated in the instructions. If anyone's interested in the set, PM me and we'll get you set up.

Thank you once more for coming to my rescue, Steve!

Registered
No problem at all. I had the instructions handy and it didn't take long to scan. As for my Jupiter 2, I got about 70 per cent to completion on the hull and then just stopped for some reason and that was back in the 1990s! I still have the shells not 10 feet from where I'm sitting... The interior kit was scary and I didn't feel up to the challenge and now it's buried in the stash! Maybe one day.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #10
Steve,
I picked up the TSDS decal set for the Moebius 1/35 scale Jupiter II. It includes tan self-stick vinyl inserts for the wall and floor, along with a blue vinyl section to back the wall behind the freezing tubes. At a glance, it looks like the TSDS items will fit the Lunar Models J II interior pretty well, which takes a load off my mind with regard to painting all those details. I also purchased the lower hull insert which, although 2-dimensional, will make a convincing background behind the lower window.

Don'e expect photos any time soon, this is going to be one slow-going project!

Registered
Hello Mark,
this may not be any help to you but I am sure that the Jupiter 2 was covered in great detail in the publication sci fi and fantasy magazine, I do have some copies but it will take me a while to dig them out then I should be able to scan them for you to help with your build.
keep safe and well
regards Barrie ( the old guy )

Administrator
Sometimes those magazine articles have already been scanned and are availalbe on the innerwebz....

Registered
Mark, you've stirred something in my brain after your request for these instructions. That TSDC decal sheet sounds like a good solution. I will check it out!

Anyway, all this LIS talk has forced me to retrieve my Jupiter 2 and it may be my next slow project (or not depending on whether I can find the interior kit!)

A little repair work to do after at least 25 years hiding away, but its condition is not too bad. The least I can do is perhaps replace the dome which has yellowed badly with age (and was actually supplied to me split in two areas by Lunar Models). Then it's off to find some suitable fusion core lighting and then locate the landing pads!

I really don't know why I stopped. I could have had a presentable model that was just painted silver, without lighting or an interior. Lighting is fun, but how often could I entertain visitors with that! The only lighting I have ever done is for a 6-inch One Man Pod and that is a hack job! Haha. Anyway, two pics of the Jupiter 2 in her present state. I look forward to seeing your finished build.

Cheers

Steve

Administrator
If you have the time it might be interesting to see if any of those fixes for yellowed plastic actually work....

Registered
Sunny days and average temperatures of 32-34 Celsius here in Hong Kong, so should get a quick result! But you can see one of the splits in the dome in the second pic and I doubt it can be fixed...I'll start a separate thread if it works. Cheers

Registered
Oh Mark, just realised you said that yours was the first version of the kit.

I hope my instructions will still be of some help even though they're not quite right, it seems.

Registered
At this point I'd almost consider filling the existing dome with plaster or resin, then vac forming (or even just stretch forming) some clear styrene over the new form.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #19
Steve,

All the clear plastic parts of my Jupiter II interior and exterior kits have yellowed, as yours have done. I was thinking along the same lines as you, exposing them to direct sunlight for a few days; it seems to work for yellowed decals. I can think of three ways to fix your split dome issue:
  1. Fill it with plaster of Paris to use as a "buck" to vacuum- or stretch form a new dome from clear plastic.
  2. See if Plastruct has a suitable clear hemisphere.
  3. Look around for something like the rounded containers in candy/toy vending machines, vacuum formed packaging, etc. - i.e., somewhere out of the box.
If any of these ideas work, your yellow dome problem will be solved! Although your instructions aren't for quite the same kit, they're close enough for me - thanks again! I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how you deal with your issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts