Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent releases from Auto World have me wondering if such a list exists?

I know Auto World, Tomy & Mattel have done some.

Thanks for any info. you can provide?

Bob

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm working on that very subject for the reference site I post. Not quite there yet documenting everything. Still working on prototypes too. Pictures can be hard to come by or finding the cars to photograph. But I will get some of that up on my site this Fall. I have good references for the Aurora stuff, but early tyco "set only" cars a bit sketchier. The Coca-Cola 600 set with the Chevelle and Roadrunner are well documented, but later stuff is harder to nail down. I'm basing most of my research on catalog photos from the manufacturers. I do need more references from catalogs like FAO Schwartz, Sears, JC Penny and Montgomery Ward. Were there any other department stores that had specialized sets made for them that came with unique cars????

-Paul

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
The recent releases from Auto World have me wondering if such a list exists?

I know Auto World, Tomy & Mattel have done some.

Thanks for any info. you can provide?

Bob
The information you are asking for is quite extensive, especially when you get into Tyco and Lifelike. I have no idea what Aurora may have done.

For example, nearly every car Lifelike puts into a set is different than it's single/twinpack version counterpart because the set car usually has less sticker decals. Tyco occasionally did the same. Do you consider these to be set only cars? If it's only paper stickers we are talking about, then personally I don't worry about these variations.

There are hundreds, potentially over a thousand, different "set only" cars. Micro Scalextric for example seems to release almost all of their cars only in sets.

I think you have a manageable number of set only cars when you are talking about Tomy and Auto World. Beyond those two, it's nearly a bottomless pit.

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts