Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years ago, I used a combination of Airfix Multipose and Historex parts to make a 1/32-ish figure of Doc Savage, a pulp hero from the 1930's. For a long time I'd been meaning to add the figure to an old Life-Like 1936 Ford Roadster, riding on the running boards as he so often did in the stories. Recently (today, actually) I picked up an ICM WWI German weapons set, which included a variety of Mauser Broomhandle pistols and an Artillery Luger with the snail magazine. In the books, Doc and his crew used a weapon called a super-firer, a fully automatic pistol with a large drum magazine firing what the books called "mercy bullets", non-lethal drugged bullets causing unconsciousness. I'd often wondered what such a weapon might look like and decided that a good possibility would be the Mauser 712 Schnellfeuer with a Luger-style snail drum (the original Mauser C96 Broomhandle had an integral magazine, but the selective fire Schnellfeuer used a box magazine). Since Doc is such a renowned inventor and a true Sooper-Genius (pre-Wile E. Coyote), I figured it would be a cinch for him to adapt the Luger magazine design to the Mauser and produce the super-firer. It was even easier for me, just involving a tiny drop of MEK to attach the snail drum to the pistol.

So, at long last, the concept has fallen into place. Now all I have to do is assemble a figure of Monk Mayfair (and/or) Ham Brooks to ride in the car.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
Brilliant! I was going to suggest an autogyro would not be an unreasonable alternate ride, but I can't find the 1/35 scale kit I could have sworn I saw not long ago.

Also, I'm not seeing any pictures attached as I write this, so I ask what would be an otherwise obvious question. Did you model Doc with his shirt all ripped to shreds as seen on all the paperbacks? :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brilliant! I was going to suggest an autogyro would not be an unreasonable alternate ride, but I can't find the 1/35 scale kit I could have sworn I saw not long ago.

Also, I'm not seeing any pictures attached as I write this, so I ask what would be an otherwise obvious question. Did you model Doc with his shirt all ripped to shreds as seen on all the paperbacks? :)
No photos as yet. I've lost the few pics of the figure that I had. Yes, I made the figure look like the iconic Jame Bama covers, with widow's peak, torn shirt and jodhpurs. I'm painting the car Testor's gold and will probably use a printout of either the original #1 pulp cover or the Bantam Books #1 cover mounted on foamcore for the base.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Doc Savage novels were a staple of my youthful reading. Absolutely loved them! Can't wait till you can dig up some photos of your work.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has remarked repeatedly about his desire to star in a Doc Savage movie.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, Dwayne would be perfect, but just recently Shane Black and Dwayne Johnson cancelled their plans for the movie because the studio insist it be a modern-day movie and they wanted to do it as a 1930's-era period piece.

And yeah, a 54mm figure of Doc would be perfect for the smaller 1/35 scale making him just about 6'3". The autogyro is not currently available and is out of my price range anyway.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
My only concern about Dwayne playing Doc is, could he do it and not insist on quips and snappy dialog? Basically playing 'straight man' for the Fabulous Five? I've only read a handful of the novels and my impression is Doc is fairly taciturn and stoic. Given more to lectures and thinking out loud and not so much "have a nice trip!" as he sends an evildoer over a cliff. Doc Savage with 'Deadpool' level dialog would be just wrong. That's Monk and Ham's job. :)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Since you are interested in Doc Savage (I am too!) I thought I'd show the couple of kits I have built. Just now went to the basement and snapped the pics on my shelves. I have another Bama cover with the snake wrapped around him but haven't built it. The little one is an Aurora Superman I bought extra just to build Doc. That one was done in the late 1960's. The big one I did somewhere in the 1990's. Used a Lunar Models LIS Robot base, and used sculpey for the nameplate.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts