Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you use a fan on your batteries while charging?

I have heard good arguments made for yes and no.

What is the maximum temperature IB cells should be allowed to get to. I have been using 120 F as a "do not cross" line.

What is your opinion?

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
personally, i try and keep my batteries as warm, or even as hot as i can get them. i try and charge a batter so that it is done a race or 2 before mine. that way i can solder it in and peak it. to me, a cold pack loses some runtime during the race

Rusty NutZ

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
ok lol i made a mistake. not as hot as i can make em but as warm as when they come off the charger. i wrap my batt in a shop towel to keep it warm until racing. if the place you are running in is cool or cold, i suggest wrapping it up tight. not really sure about venting. a hot battery may not perform as well as a warm batt. try and keep it the same temp as when it comes of the charger

Rusty NutZ

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I use a heat pad also , especially when racing in the winter and to pre-warm the cells.

Most of todays IB cells will peak at 120-130 degree's but at a 35 amp discharge they'll hit 180-190 degree's , I've seen some over 200.

Where will they vent ??? After so many cycles , who knows :rolleyes:

Just run them untill they start feeling soft.

Todays high-output cells aren't long lived anyway.

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
and where abouts in toronto. do you have a local track that you run at? i live an hour outside of ottawa and may think about a roadtrip up there

Rusty NutZ

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rusty22 said:
and where abouts in toronto. do you have a local track that you run at? i live an hour outside of ottawa and may think about a roadtrip up there

Rusty NutZ
Spring/Summer/Fall Racing:
Sid's Raceway is an outdoor off road electric track which just opened this year. Complete with AMB lap timing system. We have not had electric off road in this area for over 10 years! What a drought, prior to that there were many tracks. We had A,B, and C mains in 2wd and A and B for 4wd as well as Truck. The 2007 will bring bigger numbers I am sure.
www.sidsraceway.com

Winter Racing:
Niagara indoor off road electric track each Saturday. It is a very small track but the people are great and it keeps me sharp in the off season.

PM me if you want more info.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Rusty you and Mitch and some others don't need to travel all the way to Toronto. There is a new track in Belleville and its an hour and a 1/2 closer to you. We are having our first race January 6th racing will start at 4. So pack up and come on down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am always up for a road trip to run on another track.
Please post some more info (web site, and/or location, times, classes)

Thanks

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
i dont know steve. mitch is going to K&N that weekend (this coming weekend). than its barre the next weekend. but after that i dont know if we/he are going to maximus the following weekend. maybe we can skip it and go down. would like to try out the new track. post what time the track opens, location, classes, time of racing. and how about making a roadtrip to barre with us lol

Rusty NutZ

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
NCFRC said:
I use a heat pad also , especially when racing in the winter and to pre-warm the cells.

Most of todays IB cells will peak at 120-130 degree's but at a 35 amp discharge they'll hit 180-190 degree's , I've seen some over 200.

Where will they vent ??? After so many cycles , who knows :rolleyes:

Just run them untill they start feeling soft.

Todays high-output cells aren't long lived anyway.
Rodney,

Some of my best packs are from the first date code of W.C.'s and I know of a certain someone who is CRAZY fast at K/N with SHV's. If your new cells aren't lasting for months - it's time to change either your matcher or your battery maintenance program. Lot's of people come off the track with a hot pack, hit it with the soldering iron and then discharge at 35 amps. This is the quickest way to make the positive end-cell spit at you like a "pissed-off llama" on the next charge...contrary to popular belief. Not trying to start a debate, but it's not always the cell's fault! Then again, everyone has a different opinion on how long cells SHOULD last. You may have higher expectations.

Jason

·
Registered
595 Posts
www.proadvantagepaintball.com is the web address right now we are racing oval on Saturdays at 4 they open at 10 so there is plenty of practice time. The roadcourse is also available just don't have anyone telling me yet when is a good day for that. As far as classes the main one is 4 cell stock, but if you want to run a class bring atleast 4 guys with you and we will run it.

·
AKA Rusty NutZ
1,138 Posts
wow. when i go up there im gonna bring my paintball gun and shoot some people up lol. not really a lot of info about the racing is there? oh well.

Rusty NutZ

·
Registered
595 Posts
Rusty the reason there isn't much about racing is we are just getting started. As far as classes go we will likely finalize them in a week or 2. We have new people starting every week so we are going with a majority rules right now. Come on up the track is fast and gets faster each week. I would say it will be as fast as ST. Roch without the banking. Right now we are turning 72 laps in 5 mins in 4 cell stock. I ran my 1/12th scale with a 19 turn and ran a 75 5 flat. Bring it we will run it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts