Hobbyist Forums banner

How do you get the grease out of your bearings

• Leave them closed and a good soak.

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Open the inside race and flush them out.

Votes: 11 28.9%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how you all use your bearings, do you open up the inside race to get the grease out and free them up or leave them closed and depend on a good soaking? Thanks RAlf

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been taught to take the clip and inside shield out then clean the grease out, been leaving the "outer" shield in place to keep most of the dirt out. Just wondered what everyone else was doing. I don't think it shortens the life much if any, but also clean and oil regularly. Thanks Ralf

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Ralf said:
I've been taught to take the clip and inside shield out then clean the grease out, been leaving the "outer" shield in place to keep most of the dirt out. Just wondered what everyone else was doing. I don't think it shortens the life much if any, but also clean and oil regularly. Thanks Ralf
I do that on all bearings EXCEPT the 2 rear axle bearings.. Mainly because it would allow too much dirt in.. but on all the others I remove the rear dust shield and put them in the ultrasonic cleaner.. the bearings Ive done that to seem to last a lot longer..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just use an RPM BearingBlaster, what kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you use? Ralf

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ralf said:
I just use an RPM BearingBlaster, what kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you use? Ralf
That is exactly what I do, bearing blaster and motor spray, then I soak them in my own blend of 50% Marvel and light sewing machine oil. That way they are completely filled with oil and the marvel component will dissolve any grease that didn't come out earlier.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I just use a nice sonic cleaner with some degreaser.. I know it isnt rocket science, but ive never had a bearing work well after i took the seal off..

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I use a ultrasonic cleaner with denatured alchohol,go through two cycles and then blow out and lube with finishline blue,I do this every week or two,usually end up replacing the outer rear hub bearing in order to keep the diff as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I’ve found STP fuel injected cleaner is a great fluid for bearings, I think it's allot easer on the bearing than brake cleaner. And I’ve yet to replace a bearing since i've been using the STP. Some STP in a cup , tape it to the sub woofer , blast the bass for 5 min. and booyaa Smooth as butter :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Ralf said:
I dont know what the brand name is off the top of my head.. But basically its a medical grade stainless unit.. I typically put mineral spirits in it.. set the cycle for 15 min and then remove them>>let them dry>>blow them out and oil with finishline white lightning.. Its amazing to see all the crud that comes out of the bearings after the cycle.. Usually tire dust and dirt..

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I opened up a set of new bearings I had left in the soak (injector cleaner) for over a week and they were still full of grease after going through the bearing blaster? Ralf

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Blowing them out with a compressor after the soak works very well as pepe stated.. The high pressure is amazing difference. Just be carefull, i have had a few go flying, and not be found... Be carefull not to soak them to long.. there are oils in the steel on the bearing.. Soaking to long will remove the oils, and can cause premature rusting or pitting..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts