Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragged this one out from the middle of the pile after watching Excalibur a few weeks ago - Jayco Hobbie's resin kit of Nichole Williamson as Merlin.

Faces ain't really my thing, but it's fun trying!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't know that?
http://www.inpayne.com/models/models_figure.html
:)
I don't think I'm very good at them, but I like to try them once in a while. I don't know the nuances of painting flesh like some folks here. I just use Model Master flesh tones and some chalk pastes in the same way I paint airplanes. That's good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
No reason to say that's "good enough" John, because the face and hands look really good! A darn sight better than a lot of figure faces I see here.

Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Nice job John, I am hardly too good at faces either but then again some faces aren't going to be all colorful and such, some are just plain faces. One thing you could try would be a black wash on his beard to bring out the depth and then a brown dry brushing to bring out the high points of the beard. It looks great though the way it is.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it didn't photograph well, but the beard is Sienna with TWO lighter shades of dry-brushing on it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
you could simimulate the smoke with cotton batting (michaels or craft store) or filter floss(pet store) and lay and stretch a small amount out hit it with some black paint through airbrush and place on base for smoke effect.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
That is a really great figure kit, and I love what you've done with it.
"Look into the eyes of the dragon and despair!"
Thanks for sharing.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you could simimulate the smoke with cotton batting (michaels or craft store) or filter floss(pet store) and lay and stretch a small amount out hit it with some black paint through airbrush and place on base for smoke effect.
I could, but that never looks like anything other than cotton stuck on the model to me.

Very nice model, btw, thanks for making it!
My only complaint is that whatever was used to make the rough texture on the base master, overlaps the recesses for Merlin, the tree and the rocks. To make them fit, you'd have to take a dremel and grind out the holes. I decided that was too much mess, and used epoxy putty to build up around the rocks, which sit on TOP of the edges of their rough holes. Merlin, I just stood there without gluing. He's not flush to the base because of all the rough ground, but you can't really tell unless you look close.

·
Registered
480 Posts
This is an excellent piece and a very well done job. Not sure why you're disappointed with it. I LOVE the way the own turned out as well. This has got to be my favorite King Arthur movie and the best Merlin out there.

Tib

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is an excellent piece and a very well done job. Not sure why you're disappointed with it.
Is anybody ever happy with their own work?
Well, maybe, but I never am. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
John that was not the original base that was sent with sculpt i had used the rock formation and had saul sculpt the owl and the dragon tail at edge of new base. we should have made a better fit but it was an easy enough fix for most modelers. The floss looks best as it can be streched its not thick like cotton it was just a suggestion. thanks for posting.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I actually tried some of my dog's hair for the fog effect - she has very fine, long white hair. Still didn't look like fog. :) And then I kept finding dog hair on the base for the next week. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts