Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,
yesterday when i saw fresh bin of mustang, i saw other hotwheels bin too side by side.
dead bin with maybe up to 30% contain tear/ damage card( because i try my luck to dig it to the bottom :) )
i just wonder, why walmart do not do something like clearance sale for 50 cents? will they loose money?

or.... is walmart prefer to do 'clearance sale' to non-profit org/ their employee/ school/ etc

please share your opinion.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
hello,
yesterday when i saw fresh bin of mustang, i saw other hotwheels bin too side by side.
dead bin with maybe up to 30% contain tear/ damage card( because i try my luck to dig it to the bottom :) )
i just wonder, why walmart do not do something like clearance sale for 50 cents? will they loose money?

or.... is walmart prefer to do 'clearance sale' to non-profit org/ their employee/ school/ etc

please share your opinion.
Because eventually someone(like a kid or parent)that isnt a collector and doesnt care if the card is gem mint uncirculated will buy it based on the fact they like whatever model it is will buy it.

And they always do.

mike

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
They clearanced a bunch of Fast and Furious HW here at 50 cents. They sat in a bin for the longest time because they had WAY too many. The cards were beat to death.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
Wally will hold on to them at regular price as long as they can.
My local Wally still has the Black Friday 9 packs which went for $5 that day, but are selling them at the price of a normal 9 pack.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah the walmart near where I was living pulled the bod's of cars that had stuff that was 7-8 months old and put them out on the pegs until it was gone.

Before HW's became big with collectors it wasnt uncommon to see cars that were on the pegs for years.

In all the years I have been going to walmart I always check the "reduced for quick sale"aisle because you never know what you might find and found some good deals on tools and what not.

Ive seen plenty of m2's,johnnys,and any other diecast you can think of,but never the regular mainline cars.

mike
occasionally i check clearance side at walmart too.
yes, so far no hotwheels mainline.
usually other die cast toy clearance sell at $3/ $5 group. what i expecting is at $1 group :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have only seen 1 Wal-Mart place normal mainline Hot Wheels on clearance. I'm sure they did it to clear space in the 3 (yes I said 3) dump bins they had out. They placed all older cars in a single bin for 66 cents. And guess what, they all sold.

I wish more stores would do this to get rid of the remaining BMW series, Easter, Christmas, and the soon to be remaining Mustang series. It would help the flow of new stock and make my hunting much easier, lol.

·
Administrator
37,401 Posts
One thing to consider in the cost to the retailor is every time they move an item it adds to their intrinsic costs. As others have already noted though, I to have never found mainlanes in the clearence asile at WMs either and I do look every time we are there. I also dig into the BODs when out while Mrs Fox wanders the store looking for her shopping items - helps keep me more sane! I often find duplicates I have used for engines or wheel donors that are beat up and destined to be opened that way. Occasionly there are older distributions or returned items mixed in with them. Another consideration for retail sales is that they have usually made there profit point on less sales than the remaining stock - so reducing the price isnt a big incentive from that viewpoint. That means that each sale at their normal retail prices is total profit - a big incentive to keep the price up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts