Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone....

Im mike and i just joined the site and started collecting hot wheels and other random cars that i come across. A few hours ago i was looking at the hot wheels website and came across these mystery cars... so my question is:

Does canada (toronto, where i live) get mystery cars???

Does canada eventually get all the same cars as the american stores get???

Im lookin for a few in general like:

the buick grandnational
any vw cars...

sometimes i feel like we get chipped... ive noticed you guys (outside of canada) get the better versions of each car ie: rims,paint etc...(sry just venting lol :p )

Anyways all i want to know is if we get the mystery cars and are they worth lookin into????

Thanx from the new guy!!!!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I assume yer talkin about the retail "mystery" cars and not the mystery cars that you have to send away for from mattel.

The retail mystery cars in the black plastic blisters are pretty crappy to most here anyway... most are just recycled casts repainted.. just another way for Mattel to get our money... I haven't seen any of them that appeal to me, personnelly.. but that's just me.
They say the best one is the pink VW bug convertible (just do a search on this board and I'm sure a picture will turn up)... but I am not a fan of this bug convertible cast... convertible boot way to small, something way off with the proportions, ugly wheels on the mystery one...

Some guys here do like them...some don't even open them!..have no idea why, they display terrible and even in 20 years are not gonna be worth any more than they are now.... I'm sure if you saved them, ass soona s you brought them out, there is another 100 guys that will drag out the same things as you, that have already stashed them away

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
welcome to HT!!!

I dont think Canada is getting the mystery cars, from what I understand its something to do with 'gambling' or something, I dunno for sure. Thats just what I heard, I could be wrong

·
Registered
793 Posts
NO to both questions.
No Mystery cars and you dont get everything there as we do here.
We have Wal-mart and Target exclusives not avaliable in Canada and no Kmarts in Canada either so the Kmart day exclusives have to be bought on the secondary market.Like rite now, most stores accross the country are getting G cases and even H cases are starting to show up. Just found the maroon Buick GN the other day and I beleave it's an H case car. Canada is just now getting the F cases that carry the Batmobile and we know how long they've been out in the states.

·
Registered
112 Posts
97XR7 said:
NO to both questions.
No Mystery cars and you dont get everything there as we do here.
We have Wal-mart and Target exclusives not avaliable in Canada and no Kmarts in Canada either so the Kmart day exclusives have to be bought on the secondary market.Like rite now, most stores accross the country are getting G cases and even H cases are starting to show up. Just found the maroon Buick GN the other day and I beleave it's an H case car. Canada is just now getting the F cases that carry the Batmobile and we know how long they've been out in the states.
I think this pretty much sums up the situation. I just started to see the 66 Batmobile, Camaro T-Hunt and Buick Grand National this week here in Quebec. And I had to buy a few Mystery Cars on the Bay just to make sure I could say I have seen them...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
no mystery cars in canada customs wont allow them since they cant see in the packages is what i heard

i also heard hws werent gonna be allowed in canada at first this year cause of the mystery cars so they had to make special cases to go to canada is what i heard also was told thats why canada got all the 1$ jl cars they thought they wouldnt get any more hws and they suposedly cut a deal with rc2 to still offer cheap cars to the public

not sure what all is true or not just all i have heard

·
Registered
616 Posts
vw-wl-collector said:
i also heard hws werent gonna be allowed in canada at first this year cause of the mystery cars so they had to make special cases to go to canada is what i heard also was told thats why canada got all the 1$ jl cars they thought they wouldnt get any more hws and they suposedly cut a deal with rc2 to still offer cheap cars to the public

not sure what all is true or not just all i have heard
That is the goofiest thing I have ever heard. I can't see Mattel or Canada Customs making that kind of deal with RC2. Stranger things have happened before but this just does not make sense at all. Mattel is no stranger to dealing with international laws regarding what they sell. Hence the trilingual cards that go overseas and the bilingual cards that we see here in Canada.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Bossman said:
That is the goofiest thing I have ever heard. I can't see Mattel or Canada Customs making that kind of deal with RC2. Stranger things have happened before but this just does not make sense at all. Mattel is no stranger to dealing with international laws regarding what they sell. Hence the trilingual cards that go overseas and the bilingual cards that we see here in Canada.
There were some lengthy discussions about this a while back, where Canadian customs wouldn't allow them to come in since the consumer wouldn't know what they were getting, some even saying it was a form of gambling. Fairly ridiculous and farfetched, but just the same aren't many laws meant to protect us? Not sure what they'd be worried about with a kids toy, but then again they can't see inside to be sure that the cars are safe for kids to play with.

I think they should be banned. After seeing some of the CRUD that has come out of these blisters, I'd have been better off if they were, personally. :wave:

·
Registered
388 Posts
I've seen plenty of mystery cars in Wal-Mart and Zellers and I live in Northern Ontario. I've even seen some hangin' on the pegs unopened! :tongue:

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
What drives me nuts is people open them when no store personel is watching. I have seen people just tear open a corner and then look inside. Well Mattel kinda asked for it with the black blister.

Any ways I got a bunch that are not opened and just going to hang on to them for a long time. Then when I get realy old I am going to open them up and post all of them and the packages on this thread. lol

Bob...zilla

Here is a link to a great HW movie....found it on another thread but, figured this would be a good place for it to be seen also. I love it!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=1825622556

Click on link above, Click on link above, Click on link above, Click on link above

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Mikey_vr said:
hi everyone....

Im mike and i just joined the site and started collecting hot wheels and other random cars that i come across. A few hours ago i was looking at the hot wheels website and came across these mystery cars... so my question is:

Does canada (toronto, where i live) get mystery cars???

Does canada eventually get all the same cars as the american stores get???

Im lookin for a few in general like:

the buick grandnational
any vw cars...

sometimes i feel like we get chipped... ive noticed you guys (outside of canada) get the better versions of each car ie: rims,paint etc...(sry just venting lol :p )

Anyways all i want to know is if we get the mystery cars and are they worth lookin into????

Thanx from the new guy!!!!
Hey Mikey. I have a TON, prolly close to 150-175, mystery cars(all unopened and unsearched) that I am prolly gonna post soon if you are interested. Also have a TON of VW's I need to move. Please email me and I will send you info! Thanks. Hutt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts