Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i get an error message on startup now that says "the system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. the application will not run properly, the relocation occoured because the DLL C:\windows\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for windows DLLs. The vendor suppling the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL."

i just started getting this error yesterday, when installed some new software i got with my TOMTOM GPS i uninstalled the software thinking that it would take the error with it, but the error is still coming up, any ideas?

thanks for any help,
Kevin.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i tried doing the system restore (not the total restore ) to a date before i had the software, and still get the error, any suggestions

thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
couple of things, what OS (win98, 2k, XP) are you running? also, usually system restore won't take this out.

when you uninstall programs, alot of times it doesnt clean up nicely... and take out its crap with it. try this...

if you are running winXP

start>run type msconfig (hit enter)

click on the "startup tab"

look for the startup item named : HHCTRL or look for the path command that you specified "C:\windows\system32\HHCTRL.OCX" and take the checkmark off. This removes/stops this DLL from running on startup and MIGHT stop your error message.

This file is a Microsoft Active X control probably associated with your GPS software.

Try that.

PS. I hope you have all your windows updates, and have a virus/spyware checker loaded.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stopped the error message by using msconfig, thanks RCmits! is there any way i could delete that dll from my computer since i am not using it anyway. what is an active X control ?

thank you kevin

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok now there is another message that appears while comp. is still booting. (black screen white writting) message says "please select the operating system to start:
windows XP media center or microsoft windows recovery console" then it give you a couple of seconds to pick which one, windows xp is already highlighted so it is automatically selected, is there any way to get rid of that message? i didn't have that before i used ms config to stop the DLL error.

thank you for any help
kevin

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
is this the first time or is it asking that every time?

msconfig shouldn't have done that....

the only time it asks you to choose is "if" your in recovery mode and it wants you to choose.... but... who knows with computers.

right click on my computer > left click on properties. click the tab that says "advanced" and then click on "Startup and Recovery".

Make sure "Microsoft Windows XP Media Edtion" is your default OS, and then take the checkmark OFF "time to display list of operating systems".

click ok.. reboot.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
KDracing said:
stopped the error message by using msconfig, thanks RCmits! is there any way i could delete that dll from my computer since i am not using it anyway. what is an active X control ?

thank you kevin
Deleting DLL's gets tricky. Windows is NOTORIOUS for "tagging" DLL's with other DLL's. You mistakenly remove one, and if its tagged to stick with another DLL, or another DLL needs that DLL, you'll get error messages up the ying yang.

You can use a freeware/shareware program called "RegClean" if you want, but I suggest that it just be turned off in your system from the msconfig. No harm in having the DLl sit there dormant.

What is an active X control?

They are small applications similar to "java applets" (if you know what im talking about). Active X is a bit more "intense" in that it can be used to manipulate windows and or 'take control' because it can tie into the operating system. Hence why in the beginning I wanted to make sure you weren't infected. Alot of "infections" come in as Active X. If you notice, Active X is probabaly turned off by default in your browser.

If you want the REAL def here you go:

A control using ActiveXtechnologies. An ActiveX control can be automatically downloaded and executed by a Web browser. ActiveX is not a programming language, but rather a set of rules for how applications should share information. Programmers can develop ActiveX controls in a variety of languages, including C, C++, Visual Basic, and Java. An ActiveX control is similar to a Javaapplet. Unlike Java applets, however, ActiveX controls have full access to the Windows operating system. This gives them much more power than Java applets, but with this power comes a certain risk that the applet may damage software or data on your machine. To control this risk, Microsoft developed a registration system so that browsers can identify and authenticate an ActiveX control before downloading it. Another difference between Java applets and ActiveX controls is that Java applets can be written to run on all platforms, whereas ActiveX controls are currently limited to Windows environments.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thankyou for all the help, i also realized that microsoft released a repair for "third party DLL's". it was in my auto updates labeled as hotfix (KB935448)

whether or not it did any thing i do not know but i did put it in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
most questions you have about those expensive addicting toy cars i can probably answer. i have had almost eveything on all of mine completely apart.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
LoL ;-) you're welcome... if you have any other PC questions.. feel free to post here.. or PM me.. I'll help when I can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.