Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any preferences, sources, ideas, etc for display cases for this baby?

Anything out there on the market that is big enough to cover her AND slowly rotates? Or two products that can do so when put together?

Any sources, ideas, suggestions, links, blueprints or brainstorming anyone would like to contribute?

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
These guys make affordable display cases to order, in just about any size and shape you wish. I've used them before; they're easy to deal with, and they do great work.

http://store.casesforcollectibles.com/index.html

Not sure about the "rotating" thing though... that's a pretty large item to set a spinnin' IMO. Size withstanding, how would the AC adapter cord connect to a power source if the base was spinning?

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Yup. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to try to re-use the drive assembly from that old 78 rpm turntable....................:freak:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Don't worry, Dave. Won't use anything faster then 33 1/3 RPM ! :tongue:

Anybody here know what the diameter of the saucer is on this baby?
And height on stand?
While you're at it maybe length too?

CessnaDriver, have a ruler handy? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
These are rough (but give you just a little "pad")...

34" long
15" wide (dish)
15" tall on stand

I would prefer a little elbow room around it though...so I'd probably look at a case that had an inside of about:

35-37" long
16-18" wide
16-18" high

IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Or if one wanted a truly unique case, find a 37" diameter circle and build a rotating stand for the E to rotate inside it.

The only problem with the rotating stand is the center of gravity of the model would have to be adjusted for the middle of the model, if it's not there already.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I am hoping to have a display case for my Enterprise as well, and include the full Bridge that Round 2 will be coming out with. Maybe even the new retooled Galileo. Both of those should be able to fit in the display case with the Big E.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If somebody ended up with a bunch of 1/350th scale stuff, TOS E, Refit, future K'Tingas, NX-01's etc.;

and money were no object this one looks pretty good:

http://www.wayfair.com/Tecno-Display-Tower-Display-Cabinet-GL122-X-TCN1016.html

I had seen one somewhere very similar for about $800 bucks. It was actually about 40" deep, had the same number of shelves had one completely curved end and one flat end so you could put the flat end against the wall and have the 40" project out from the wall with the saucer side completely visible.

The one in the link above and the $800 dollar one I can't find both are WAAAAY out of my price range,

but maybe it'll be a help to someone here who can afford it.

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
If somebody ended up with a bunch of 1/350th scale stuff, TOS E, Refit, future K'Tingas, NX-01's etc.;

and money were no object this one looks pretty good:

http://www.wayfair.com/Tecno-Display-Tower-Display-Cabinet-GL122-X-TCN1016.html

I had seen one somewhere very similar for about $800 bucks. It was actually about 40" deep, had the same number of shelves had one completely curved end and one flat end so you could put the flat end against the wall and have the 40" project out from the wall with the saucer side completely visible.

The one in the link above and the $800 dollar one I can't find both are WAAAAY out of my price range,

but maybe it'll be a help to someone here who can afford it.

I couldn't help but notice this cabinet has a Gaylord part number....

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
One critical afterthought, don't forget to allow for the distance between the ships keel or bottom and the display base when figuring the display case height measurement and not just from keel to bridge module !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts