Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I just signed up but might know some of you from the starshipbuilder.com or other modeling forums I am a part of. I was writing to say hello since this is my first post. :wave:

My current project is from Disney's movie The Black Hole! Charles Adams over at starshipbuilder.com is working on the USS Cygnus, which is a BEAUTIFUL model, so I thought I would do the USS Palomino from The Black Hole.
[/IMG]
It really is unique in it's simplicity and I LOVE the ship! I am still in the research stage of making a Studio Scale model of the Palomino. I have collected MANY magazines from the 70's and 80's that feature information on the making of the Black Hole and have just a very few photos of the Palomino.

One of the reason I joined up was to ask for HELP! I am told that the actual model of the USS Palomino from the Black Hole movie was on display at the Disney/MGM Backlot tour!!!!! I was hoping and praying that SOMEONE had photos of the Palomino they could share!

Or perhaps someone knows people who LOVE the Black Hole movie and might be able to help me find photos or ANY information on the USS Palomino from Disney's The Black Hole.

If ANY of you have any ideas, can you PLEASE let me know. I really want my Studio Scale replica of the USS Palomino to be a unique and fun model.

Well, thanks for your help everyone. Glad to be here! :)

God Bless,

Chuck Kirkindall Jr., Arkansas USA

[email protected]

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m261/redrockerjr5150/palomino_1.jpg

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Welcome!

To me the best source, is the DVD. I don't have it, but screen grabs will do it. I have a couple of magazines that cover the movie, but I bet you have them. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Welcome to the Forums, BHF!

Good to see a fellow Arkansan in the forums. We've got a model club here called Central Arkansas Scale Modelers and we meet in the Little Rock area at the Aerospace Education Center the second Saturday of each month. We've got our annual competition and show coming up on 29 and 30 September, too.

So, whereabouts you live?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Griffworks said:
Welcome to the Forums, BHF!

Good to see a fellow Arkansan in the forums. We've got a model club here called Central Arkansas Scale Modelers and we meet in the Little Rock area at the Aerospace Education Center the second Saturday of each month. We've got our annual competition and show coming up on 29 and 30 September, too.

So, whereabouts you live?
I am in North East Arkansas. You know, I used to work in Jacksonville!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the invite! I'll have to come someday and meet you all and see your work. I am probably no where NEAR where some of you are. I have been modeling for almost 30 years, but just not THAT great! :tongue:

My problem seems to be that I cant paint well. The models always LOOK great finished, but I prefer to have someone else give them a spit shine into beauty!

Well, Ill go over and check out your modeling forum. Thanks for the info.

Now, back to work on researching the Black Hole! I am hoping to find SOMEONE out there who knows enough about Disney's The Black Hole to help me in my quest to replicate the Studio Scale of the USS Palomino!

Have a great weekend,

Chuck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zombie_61 said:
Arkansan? I always thought you'se guys were called Arkansassians... :p

When you are from Arkansas, you can say anything you want. Not ANYONE can be 49th in Education! We'run so proud o' bein #49!!!!

LOL

Chuckster

·
Registered
95 Posts
I don't have anything on the Palomino (I never got that far on my research), but I drew a top view of the Cygnus many years ago, if you're interested?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes very much. I would love to see the Cygnus top view!

Oh, and that joke is quite funny. I enjoy some redneck humor. It would be funnier, if it wasnt so very true!

Thank God that I am NOT a redneck.

LOL

Chuck

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
BlackHoleFan said:
When you are from Arkansas, you can say anything you want. Not ANYONE can be 49th in Education! We'run so proud o' bein #49!!!!

LOL

Chuckster
I'm afraid to ask who's in 50th place. Hope it's not my home state.

Charles - oldie but a goodie. (the joke dude, you're not that old :p)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Before anyone goes and gets offended, I grew up in the Deep South and I thought that joke was pretty funny! ;)

M r mice.

M r not!

S a r! C m edbd feet?

L I B! M R mice!

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
BlackHoleFan said:
I am told that the actual model of the USS Palomino from the Black Hole movie was on display at the Disney/MGM Backlot tour!!!!!
I am one of the more rabid Disney Nuts here, and if the Palomino is on the Backlot Tour, it has escaped my notice. However, it's been a long time since I saw the movie, so it is possible I have seen it and not recognized it. Snowspeeders, Tatooine "Sand Skiffs," Judge Doom's "Dipmobile," planes, tanks and many other vehicles we might recognize are certainly there, so the Palomino might be as well.

I plan to go back to Walt Disney World before the end of the year, and when I do, I'll try to look around and see if I can find out anything ... for what that's worth.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
star-art said:
Before anyone goes and gets offended, I grew up in the Deep South and I thought that joke was pretty funny! ;)

M r mice.

M r not!

S a r! C m edbd feet?

L I B! M R mice!
Over my head! Never learned redneck. :freak:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hah! LOL :)

I saw the Palomino on the backlot tour. It was years ago when I lived down there. IIRC, there was a warehouse area where you could see rows of storage shelving. It was indoor/outdoor I think, meaning you were under a roof but not totally indoors. I could see the Palomino hanging from the ceiling in one corner. I don't recall whether you could walk around it or just see it from a distance. I do know I've seen at least one photo on the Web somewhere that a person took when it was on display. It's probably still there, or maybe was put into storage somewhere on the lot. I have a friend who does work for them, I'll ask him to check it out. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW! Thanks! I would really appreciate it. I have basically spent months - and I do mean MONTHS searching the online search engines and have come up with nearly nothing.

It would mean a GREAT DEAL to me if someone could share photos! Thaks for asking your friend who works for Disney. I truly appreciate it.

Okay, back to work! :)

Chuckster

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
star-art said:
I saw the Palomino on the backlot tour. It was years ago when I lived down there. IIRC, there was a warehouse area where you could see rows of storage shelving. It was indoor/outdoor I think, meaning you were under a roof but not totally indoors.
Oh, okay. I wasn't thinking about that -- it's the load area for the Backlot Tour trams, meant to give guests an interesting queue experience. The queue for the trams is rarely very long just because of the way the tour runs, so one usually doesn't spend long in that area.

I'll take a look as well the next time I'm there. I was at WDW about a month ago, but I only spent a few hours at Disney/MGM, and the Backlot Tour is one attraction I sacrificed due to time.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, everyone seems to have seen it but no photos. Man, this can drive someone MAD! LOL

Does anyone out there have any other suggestions of things I should try. What I HAVE already done is collected just about every single Black Hole product they sold for the movie, and I have collected a TON of magazine from around the world that covered the Black Hole from the 70's and 80's.

You would think that SOMEONE out there knows something about the USS Palomino! haha

Anyone know anything ELSE I should try?!!! ;)

Chuckster

·
Registered
391 Posts
Greetings from Orlando Florida.
I'll save you guys the trip down to Disney, the USS Palomino is no longer hanging in the Backlot Tour. There are two Warehouses on the tour. The 1st is the Prop Warehouse at entrance/load area of the tour and the other is at the end/unload area of the tour (American Film Institute). The AFI displays have been changed out several months ago to feature villians from the movies. When it (USS Palomino) was down here it was hanging way up high so no one could get a good look at it unless they used a telescope. :jest: Only kidding about the height but it was hanging a few feet below the ceiling and it was tall ceiling. I haven't checked the Prop Warehouse lately it might be in there if it is still down here. But I think it was sent back to the archives in California. I case you guys haven't figured it out yet I work there. I still have a few friends down here at the Disney-MGM Studios. I'll see if it's still in town. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EnterpriseFan, you just got yourself a beer on me. If you drink. If not, how about a nice cold Dr. Pepper! LOL

Hey, you wouldnt happen to be able to get me some photos would you? I will GLADLY pay for the photos or for gas or whatever! hahahaha

Hey, THANKS man! I really REALLLLLLLLLLLLY appreciate it! Hey, when you come to Arkansas, and you HAVE TO, I will be treating you out to the best Bar B Que in the WORLD!

Chuckster

1 - 20 of 30 Posts