• @40" $100

Votes: 6 6.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As suggested in another thread---sound off.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Well it looks like it's 100% unanimous! Everybody agrees with me on the 25 inch Nautilus!...Or maybe it's just that no one else has voted yet...

·
Registered
497 Posts
I agree with Mr. Compton. And if you mean PL to produce a kit, leave the price off. Their big C-57D isn't anywhere near $100.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What a great idea! Glad somebody thought of it!

I think that the cost/size numbers are a little off. But what would we know! I voted based on the space I would like to fill! :thumbsup:

Mark D :devil:

·
Registered
909 Posts
one a bit over 2 feet IMHO would make for an impressive display .
cost could go up a bit given the amount of detail they'd be putting toward the interior .
the Chris White box art that i can imagine would make it a must have for me at any scale .
hb

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
To be honest with you, I think A Disney Nautilus correctly done would sell fabulously well. While there is demand for Star Trek kits amonst purists such as those found here, I think the market has been saturated with Trek kits for the last few years, at least as far as the average guy is concerned.

However, there has NEVER been a kit of the Nautilus. While the potential market for a Nautilus and other 20,000 Leagues kits may be smaller than the Trek market, that market is pretty darned unsatisfied right now and I would therefore expect a very high take rate on any new models.

Huzz

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dave,

There have been kits of the Disney Nautilus. But they have not been licensed, they are expensive and the ones under $100 are small.

BUT since it has not been done as an affordable styrene kit...the market is huge!

How about an 11" snap kit and a deluxe 24" kit with an interior! ;)

Mark D

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Mark - why stop at 24"? I'd say 30" would be even better!

I wasn't aware that there were previous kits available. I was only aware of the one that Comet in England had a few years ago. I know there is one resin kit available right now that looks very nice but the price is almost $400 US. A bit impractical for most I think.

How much interior detail do you think would be possible? With a closed hull one is limited to the areas behind the large salon windows and the wheelhouse. However, if part of the hull is removable (like the C57D, and Aurora's Spindrift, Flying Sub and Moonbus) one could have a lot more detail, or at least it would be possible to see it better.

I think these would sell like hot cakes at Disney theme parks. And I still can't understand why Disney has Nautilus attractions at its overseas parks but none at the US parks! The old Nautilus ride in Florida may have been dated but I enjoyed it when I was there in 1989. And even back then, years before I really got back into models, I was looking for a nice Nautilus model!

Huzz

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sizes and prices are were just rounded off figures based on what PL has already produced. A Nautilus the same size as the Seavew should run about the same 20 bucks. A 28"C-57D and an @30" Nautilus-40 bucks. At @40" it would be a crime not to include a boatload of details and options. Lots of Ben Franklins would change hands if it is done correctly. None if it looks like a blow molded Fischer/Price toy. Anyway the idea is to stir up interest, focus the common denominators and present it to an entity(PL) that might see a profitable item. Exact scales, sizes and prices is their baby.

Good idea on the poll MR D.:thumbsup:

I've waited 40 years for this kit. Don't think I got another 40 left.
C'MON PL!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dave,

Two reasons why I picked 24".

1) It is the same size as the Star Trek NX-01 coming next year.

2) Because I like it! ;)

1/96th is, according to one of our experts a popular size for ship folks. If so that would mean lots of diorama stuff and figures might be available. It is also about 22 1/4 inches in length making it almost 24 inches and it was the closest choice in the poll.

Also if the cost/size numbers are correct more people will buy a $35 kit than a $50 kit! :D

Mark D

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
How big a deal is a six inch difference? If I can afford a C-57D, I can joyously afford the higher price of a truly detailed Nauitlus. I voted thirty-incher, but a twenty-four would be fine by me. This kit is a definite must.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
OH PLEASE POLAR LIGHTS HEAR OUR CRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

There must be a way!

Never give up! never surrender!!

hmmm.... that sounds like something I've heard before?....hmmmmmmm;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never give up! never surrender!!

Hmmm very Freudian. Sir Ureins to Sir Percival while searching for "THE HOLY GRAIL"

·
Registered
729 Posts
Nautilus size vers scale

Hi again,
nice move there mike....a poll indeed...the 22 1/4 inch model would be exactly 1/96 scale ,again,as i stated,in a scale poplar with ship modeling...another thought is to do one 1/72 scale, this being exactly 29 21/32 inches long.this has alot of oppurtunity to add scale things around it for a great diorama and it's still large but not too large..I really don't think there would be a huge market for anyhing over 29"(1/72),except perhaps for R/c enthusiast possiblities..
Size verses amount of detail isn't really a concern as evidenced by my little 6" model i scratchbuilt years ago.....anyway this is fun non the less and I hope someone's interested in pursuing this further.
William

·
Registered
28 Posts
:wave:Hello! I have a 30" nautilus and it is not too big at all.It is only about 6" wide so you can put it on a wall shelf or bookcase.Since it is not 30" all the way around you don't have the same problems you had with the C57-D.It is also big enough so you can see some good detail in the wheelhouse.

·
Registered
729 Posts
30 inch Nautilus

hey there,
sounds like you have the 30 1/2" Nautilus made for Icons. Pattern maker was Scott B. He did a great job and it's very close to being accurate..just a few modifications here and there to get it good to go...I have one too:dude:
William

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And how much did this 30 1/2" resin job go for? Were you able to get it at your local hobby shop or Toys R Us? Did it satisfy your urge to build?
You bring up a good point on the size Icky! Even at 60" long it would still fit on most shelves. I have a spot designated behind the sofa for a future 7 footer.
Big toys were a hit last Christmas. Huge G.I. Joe sized tanks were everywhere(with a huge price tag too!)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
phrankenstign said:
I'd buy one no matter what size.
"I'll buy that for a dollar!'

1 - 20 of 77 Posts