Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started working on this kit finally. It's been in it's box since 99. I started working on the seams with bondo filler, then my Aves showed up in the mail. Aves is awesome stuff. I'll post some pic's tonight.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
First time I've ever seen one being built-up! Schweet!

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
I've never seen a finished version of this kit either, so I'm really looking forward to this! Looks great so far NW!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Very cool. I don't think I have actually seen this kit built up either, aside from the pictures on the box. I had the organ/mummy kit in the series wayyyyyyyyyy back...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I almost started painting the fleshy parts last night with a brush. The little guys face is smaller than my thumbnail, so I thought what the heck. Then I thought well I have to spray the big guy, so I'll wait to airbrush em. The inside of the coffin has no detail at all, so it'll be treated to some rotting red velvet fabric.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
I had the Organist and Vampire when I was a kid (they're in a hundred pieces in parts unknown). I would love to have these again!! Maybe Round 2 can get Disney... I know... they could sell them in the Disney stores!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I know. I had all of them when I was a kid. I'll be happy when I get "Grave robbers Reward". Thats the other one that I want.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Wow that is cool! I have all these kits but have not built them yet. I can't wait to see it finished too. I love that coffin. Keep us posted please! Excellent work so far!:thumbsup:

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
Back in the day, the only one I could get my hands on was Play It Again, Sam (the organist at the keyboard). I'd love to have another one, but they're pretty rare these days and usually out of my price range. A couple of years ago I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a complete Grave Robber's Reward kit for a decent price because the box was a bit beaten up. If we're lucky, maybe we'll eventually see a reissue of these kits through Round 2.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking about lighting this kit. A flickering light for inside the crypt, a light in the coffin pointing at the skeleton, and maybe a torch or lantern with a flickering light to light the rest. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was thinking about lighting this kit. A flickering light for inside the crypt, a light in the coffin pointing at the skeleton, and maybe a torch or lantern with a flickering light to light the rest. Any Ideas?
Maybe build a stone wall as a backdrop and put a couple of wall sconces on it like they have in the ride:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2416276067

then set up some small doll house flicker bulbs in them?

For the coffin I'd go with a green LED shining on the ghoul inside similar to the conservatory coffin in the ride, a green LED shining up from the hole in the stone floor, a red LED on the executioner, and maybe a bicolor red/blue LED on the escapee so that it's red at first and the changes to blue when the ghoul pops up (using a pin switch that the ghoul hits when he's sitting up fully).

Love the HM kits and the Pirates zap action kits MPC made back in the day. I had one of the Pirates kits as a kid (long gone now except for the medallion that came with the kit).

I've often wondered if it would be worth replacing the loops/hooks for the rubber bands on the kit parts with metal epoxied into place and what you could replace the rubber bands with that would be more durable? Elastic maybe?

Jim

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
I've often wondered if it would be worth replacing the loops/hooks for the rubber bands on the kit parts with metal epoxied into place and what you could replace the rubber bands with that would be more durable? Elastic maybe?

Jim
In this thread Bizzarobrian was considering the idea of replacing the rubber bands on his Gigantic Frankenstein kit with something with more durability/longevity than rubber bands. IMO a metal spring, something similar to the return spring on a carburetor, would do the trick. The difficult part would be finding one that is the right size and has the same relative "pull strength" as a rubber band--too loose, and the kit won't operate the way it should; too tight, and it would put undue stress on the kit parts and likely cause the loops/hooks to break prematurely. Maybe the type of spring in an ink pen? Obviously too small for Bizzarobrian's purposes, but might be just right for these Haunted Mansion & Pirate kits.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I gave up on springs. The springs in pens were too short, too thick, and once stretched, retained that stretched length. I even tore apart an old VCR looking for the right spring. I'll find them some day. I'm not using the zap action on this one. I'm not going to use them on the Pirates kits that I just got either. If the rubber bands can be replaced easily on the Pirate kits, I might do it. But the skeletons are so brittle already.

·
Curmudgeon
6,619 Posts
Well then, that settles the "ink pen springs" issue; thanks for letting us know it didn't work out. For me, it's not really an issue since I'm not a fan of the whole "Zap Action" thing. I'm planning to build mine just like any other kit (i.e., cement the parts in place), though I'll at least have the luxury of deciding which positions to put the movable parts into.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts