Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
lol novak tray= to much money. if you get that tray basicaly your just rubbing it in peoples faces. its not worth it. if You are going to get a discarge tray either get the new trinity d-90 the dpd or the tekin battery doctor. I have the battery doctor and I love mine. the only difference between it and the d-90 is that the d-90 is polorized so it matters wich way you put the cells in. and the d-90 consists of two decks the lower deck has all the resistors on it and the upper deck holds the batterys away from the resistors so that they dont get as hot. so basicly its just personal preference but the novak tray is junk. If you are going to get a super expensive and outragious tray get the dpd from trinity. it does everything dicharges @30 amps then equalizes the cells. and it gives you a readout on every cell. also I hear that much more racing is coming out with something similar. but its not cheap. but like i said the novak tray is out of date and is not worth the cash

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
315 Posts
the zero thirty is a good tray but it does not realy equalize the cells. it does to a point but to realy get a good equalization you will need to put them on a battery tray like the tekin or the trinity. the zero thirty is good for bringing them down whith charge still left on them. just put em on that till all the lights go out then put them on an equalizing tray. and after they are equalized then store them for a week tray them before charging charge and repeat. at least thats how I do it

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
DARKSCOPE001 said:
the zero thirty is a good tray but it does not realy equalize the cells. it does to a point but to realy get a good equalization you will need to put them on a battery tray like the tekin or the trinity. the zero thirty is good for bringing them down whith charge still left on them. just put em on that till all the lights go out then put them on an equalizing tray. and after they are equalized then store them for a week tray them before charging charge and repeat. at least thats how I do it

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sean Scott
If you have 3800s or 4200s and you "put them in until the lights go out" you will kill runtime on those packs. The only way you can safely use the zero thirty with those cells is to stare at the bulbs and remove the pack from the tray as soon as the FIRST light goes out. Then use the end positions to discharge the other cells one at a time until the light just goes out. This was described the the TQ Cells support thread.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Sean,

How can you possibly say that the only difference between a D90 and a Tekin battery doctor is polarization? The Batt. doc is a linear 2 amp discharge diode based tray that cuts off @ 0.5 volts. The D90 is a DYNA PULSE 30 AMP MICROPROCESSOR CONTROLLED PROGRAMMABLE CUTOFF UNIT. Not even close to comparing similar entities. While we are at it, the Zero Thirty is a LINEAR 30 amp discharge tray with a nominal cutoff of ZERO volts. Also, at half the cost of the D90, the NOVAK SE tray is an excellent choice and far from obsolete. Since most utilize the discharge capability of their Turbo's to bring the pack down to 3.6v - it's only a matter of 4-5 minutes to equalize in a NOVAK tray. It's also highly accurate....2 decimal places according to my FLUKE. Of course everything has it's drawback and that is that the NOVAK needs a power source, but to say buying one = rubbing it in people's faces? Educate the newbie with credible information and let them make their own decision - don't bash good equipment because you don't understand the benefits.

·
Registered
315 Posts
ok whell I hate to tell you but the d-90 is not what you think it is. the d-90 is an equalization tray, it is not the dpd. the dpd is what you are thinking of. and it is a discharger and equalizer. also the tekin battery doctor 8.0 is not just a resistor tray. It has a microprocesor controled cutoff of .5v per cell as with the d-90. Google it. I promise you the d-90 is a equalizaton tray very similar to my tekin tray only it has to levals to seperate the resistors from the batts and it is polorized and it can only accept 6 cells. I have no clue why on the tekin they thought 8 cells was a good idea. because even with 4 cell packs I never need to equalize 2 at a time. ok now what you are calling the d-90 is actualy called the dpd (or dina pulse discharger) and it not only is a discharger but it is also an equalizing tray. also ontop of doing those things it gives you instantanious readouts on not only the whole pack but ever single individual cell so it is totaly worth it. now yes I know that I bashed the novak tray. but thats because im a teen and basicly anything we dont use we throw in terms to make it sound like garbage. the only thing i dont like about the n-tray is that it is basicly a very very nice equalizing tray that makes cool sounds. yes its nice to be able to adjust your cutoff but most people only use the .75-.5v per cell cutoff anyways so I just went with the tekin for 50 bucks and it does exactly what I want at half the space of the n-tray. now that said I am going to sound like a hypocrit. I want one of those dpd dischargers. and yes they are very nice and I have been recomended one quite a few times. but luckely for me with all the dicharge devices I have bought in the past I have enough money to pay for one. lol

HOPE THIS HELPS
Sean Scott

P.S. I hope my post dident seem to mean. I was kind of rushing it and I dident realy know what to say. so im sory if it insulted you.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
All good, Sean...I guess when I can't even keep track of all the names of units on the market there may be too many! I guess the point is they all have different benefits and one should purchase based on the added value it provides for their program.

Jason

·
Registered
315 Posts
yep. I still need a high amp discharge thingy so Im gona get me one. and I like all the features it has. so im gona get one and tell ya guys what I think. I shure wish that hobby talk had a review section on this site. that would be nice

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Popular "equalizing" trays
Tekin - lights cut off at .70v discharge completes at .50v
Novak - can be programmed to cut off discharge at .1-1.2v and has a nice feature of being able to hold the voltage at that setting
Trinity - has a couple different trays/units - As mentioned above the DPD can do a straight discharge or be used as a equalization tray - the D90 is a equalization tray that cuts off at .90v per cell, hence the "90"

I personally use a Tekin tray for my equalization duties. Now if you are talking strictly "discharge tray" and not equalization. Then you are talking about a different animal. Duratrax, Trinity, Integy, and others offer trays that have a higher discharge voltage for discharging your packs before equalizing.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I like my much more unit it discharges and EQ's at the same time,BEWARE don't go below .7 with the newer cells 38's and especially now with the 42's which as I understand don't like to go below .9.The advantage of a unit like the much more and the Trinity is they cutoff automatically,unlike the Tekin and some of the other units mentioned,the D90 would probably be a good choice also,I personly never take my cells below .9.

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
The advantage of a unit like the much more and the Trinity is they cutoff automatically,unlike the Tekin and some of the other units mentioned
That statment can be somewhat "misleading". The Tekin tray does cut off but it does so at .5 at each cell. As long as you take the newer packs off when the lights go out (.7) you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
OvalmanPA said:
That statment can be somewhat "misleading". The Tekin tray does cut off but it does so at .5 at each cell. As long as you take the newer packs off when the lights go out (.7) you should be fine.
.5 & .7 both are to low a cutoff for todays cells.Also like you "as long as you are there to take them off the tray":( with the MM unit yo don't have to sit there and monitor the cells:)

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
The MM unit hands down is the best one out.. To compare it to a tekin is a waste of time..BUT the tekin only costs about 50 bucks.. However The thing cuts off too low.. I think tekin should have given you an adjustable setting like the novak tray..

I sold my novak tray an bought the MM unit.. Kind of like a Ferrari.. If you have the Means I highly recommend it..

·
Registered
315 Posts
that much more unit does look pretty cool. by about how much more is it going to be than the dpd? because if its alot I think im just gona just go ahead and get the dpd. becuase I think they do about the same thing only the mm unit looks a little more dark and sleek than the dpd. but I could be wrong I havent realy looked into the mm unit. also where can I get one of the mm units

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
315 Posts
allright guys so im gona be getting one of those new dichargers. probably the dpd but I wanted to know the much more what makes it that much better? and is it worth the extra 100 bucks? becuase Im kinda on a budget and the only reason im getting the dpd is because i will be swiching to 3800's (lol ive been using 33's) and I need something that has a higher cutoff voltage and I need a high amp discharger so that I can keep the cells ar and voltage up high. so can you tell me if the dpd will do all these things and also tell me a bit more about the much more unit. I want to know

THANKS
Sean Scott

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Sean, what kind of charger do you have right now, does it discharge? if so you can just use the charger/discharge to make sure each cell is equal. It takes little time but costs no extra money. Just discharge the pack to 1 volt per cell 4.00 4 cell, 6.00 6 cell. Then hook up the wires to each cell and discharge. All the newer digital discharger either discharge at a low rate or pulse discahrge.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts