Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I examined a model of a 1/24" Hot Rod Fire engine that I made about 40 years ago as a 13 year old.I have kept it in a plastic display case like with my other model cars. I examined it recently & see that the chrome has simply vanished with just a few traces. I did not see this with my other models.Has any body else had this ?

Neal from the slotcar section:dude:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Never heard of this issue.
have some 40 + year old models too,
and have never experienced this phenomenom.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
you don't by chance live in a home that was redone with Chinese drywall? The stuff that out-gasses hydrogen sulfide making sulfuric acid?

Or if it's close to the laundry room: bleach fumes.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No chinese drywall as I have been in this house 36+ years & the rom the models are stored in is totally opposite from the laundryroom.

Neal:dude:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a picture of what happened.

This is a picture I took. I noticed also that the side pipe's lost chrome as I can see the black plastic underneath.

"Recently I examined a model of a 1/24" Hot Rod Fire engine that I made about 40 years ago as a 13 year old.I have kept it in a plastic display case like with my other model cars. I examined it recently & see that the chrome has simply vanished with just a few traces. I did not see this with my other models.Has any body else had this ?"

Neal:dude: from the slotcar section

Attachments

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've had this problem too. I haven't redone the house I've lived in for almost 36 years. This was with the radio controlled R2-D2 head. I've also had patches of chrome on other models left out in the air. This usually happens from oxygenation mixed with the exposed parts. The only way to get away from it would be to have it put in an airtight container.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts