Hobbyist Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a basis on what we have been discussing. Its open for discussion. We have until the February 2010 rules meeting to come up with a set of rules to present to the membership. We should get something concrete that is mutual to all who plan on running this class so we can have the club officers look at it first. Then bring it up in the rules meeting. So below is a basis of what has been discussed so far on the outdoor thread.

Short Course Modified
This class is intended for racers looking to compete in a modified class, with realistic looking short course trucks.

Base Vehicle: Any 1/10th scale, 2WD, electric Short Course truck such as but not limited to the Traxxas Slash, Associated SC10, HPI Blitz, and LOSI Strike.
Chassis/Components: Stock Chassis. Any bumper so long as they remain realistic looking.
Body Clips: Any standard r/c body clip may be used (locking or regular).
Motor: Open
Batteries: ROAR approved 6 or 7 cell sub c industry approved standard rechargeable battery or a ROAR approved 7.4V LiPo Battery only.
Battery/Motor Connectors: Any allowed, not restricted to stock connectors.
Speed Control: Open
Servo: Open
Radio/Receiver: Any ROAR allowed Radio/Receiver Combination is permitted, e.g. you may switch the receiver and transmitter from the units supplied with the vehicle.
Suspension: Aftermarket arms are allowed but must maintain stock configuration. The tires must remain within the confines of the unaltered body. Any shock, oil, or spring may be used. You may: use shock limiters, shorten the springs, drill/fill the shock pistons.
Steering: Open
Transmission: Must use the stock transmission cases. After market gears are allowed as long as they fit inside the stock transmission cases. You may use Silicone diff oil.
Wheels/Tires: Any tire that will fit the SC truck platform and maintain realistic looks. Tires must remain within the confines of the body. No 1/8th scale tires.
Bodies: Any realistic looking SC body is allowed.
Ball Bearings: Open
Air Dams: Not allowed.
Spoiler: Not allowed.
Transponder: Personnel Transponders are permitted and can be mounted anywhere on the vehicle that the owner sees fit. Club transponders are also available for use (mounted with a ¼” hole through the body – see general rules for transponder information).
LiPo Cut-Off/Warning: Open
Weight Distribution: Components such as the ESC, Rx, and battery may be relocated for optimal weight balancing.
Gyro’s: No gyros allowed.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I know alot of aftermarket companies make different chassis for the Slash some aluminum that are hollowed out. What about those? Just throwing it out there.

Batteries: ROAR approved 6 or 7 cell sub c industry approved standard rechargeable battery or a ROAR approved 7.2V LiPo Battery only.

Shouldn't that be Roar Approved 7.4V (2S) Lipo battery only.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Why limit the SC mod to stock chassis? It is supposed to be a MOD class.

The ThunderTech Slash chassis is a nice conversion and all it really does is bring the C.G. of the Slash down to the same level as the SC10 and HPI Blitz.

We had this rule of "factory chassis" for Electric 1/8th but we let Gary Kosits run his scratch built chassis and the world didn't end. He didn't dominate the class just because he didn't use a factory chassis - it still comes down to driving. For that matter my Tekno conversion isn't a OEM factory chassis either.

One of the people at Tekno RC said the reason they liked building stuff for the 1/8th electric class is that you can't cheat - there is nothing illegal. SC MOD ought to be that way too (within the confines of being a Short Course Truck platform, just as all the E-8s are 1/8th buggies).

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I think Steve just drafted up something quick. I don't think he meant to limit it to stock chassis. But I agree opening up is probaly a good idea on the chassis side. We must of posted at the sametime. :)

As for Gary E1/8 I thought he was running a HB Chassis. Not scratch built.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I think Steve just drafted up something quick. I don't think he meant to limit it to stock chassis. But I agree opening up is probaly a good idea on the chassis side. We must of posted at the sametime. :)

As for Gary E1/8 I thought he was running a HB Chassis. Not scratch built.
The chassis plate and the layout was his own design and manufacture. He used Hot Bodies diffs and suspension. He made the body himself too.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know alot of aftermarket companies make different chassis for the Slash some aluminum that are hollowed out. What about those? Just throwing it out there.

Batteries: ROAR approved 6 or 7 cell sub c industry approved standard rechargeable battery or a ROAR approved 7.2V LiPo Battery only.

Shouldn't that be Roar Approved 7.4V (2S) Lipo battery only.
Blame Nick on the 7.2 LiPo. I cut and pasted the spec rules and just added in the things we already discussed. LOL As far as aftermarket chassis', just thought about keeping the cost down. This could get out of control. Also trying to prevent someone from showing up with a Slash body being the only Traxxas part on their SC and still calling it a Traxxas Slash. Whatever the masses want? Im just the secretary, Ill type up the final version and make the presentation to the membership. So a good topic for discussion:

What do you guys thing about aftermarket chassis'?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why limit the SC mod to stock chassis? It is supposed to be a MOD class.

The ThunderTech Slash chassis is a nice conversion and all it really does is bring the C.G. of the Slash down to the same level as the SC10 and HPI Blitz.

We had this rule of "factory chassis" for Electric 1/8th but we let Gary Kosits run his scratch built chassis and the world didn't end. He didn't dominate the class just because he didn't use a factory chassis - it still comes down to driving. For that matter my Tekno conversion isn't a OEM factory chassis either.

One of the people at Tekno RC said the reason they liked building stuff for the 1/8th electric class is that you can't cheat - there is nothing illegal. SC MOD ought to be that way too (within the confines of being a Short Course Truck platform, just as all the E-8s are 1/8th buggies).

Thats fine. Ill add any chassis. See how nice this works. Its not one persons class. Its everyones class.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update. Changed chassis requirements from stock chassis to any chassis. Keep it up. Were making progress.

Short Course Modified
This class is intended for racers looking to compete in a modified class, with realistic looking short course trucks.

Base Vehicle: Any 1/10th scale, 2WD, electric Short Course truck such as but not limited to the Traxxas Slash, Associated SC10, HPI Blitz, and LOSI Strike.
Chassis/Components: Any chassis allowed. Any bumper allowed, so long as they remain realistic looking.
Radio/Receiver: Any ROAR allowed Radio/Receiver Combination is permitted, e.g. you may switch the receiver and transmitter from the units supplied with the vehicle.
Suspension: Aftermarket arms are allowed but must maintain stock configuration. The tires must remain within the confines of the unaltered body. Any shock, oil, or spring may be used. You may: use shock limiters, shorten the springs, drill/fill the shock pistons.
Transmission: Must use the stock transmission cases. After market gears are allowed as long as they fit inside the stock transmission cases. You may use Silicone diff oil.
Wheels/Tires: Any tire that will fit the SC truck platform and maintain realistic looks. Tires must remain within the confines of the body. No 1/8th scale tires.
Transponder: Personnel Transponders are permitted and can be mounted anywhere on the vehicle that the owner sees fit. Club transponders are also available for use (mounted with a ¼” hole through the body – see general rules for transponder information).
Weight Distribution: Components such as the ESC, Rx, and battery may be relocated for optimal weight balancing.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Update. Changed chassis requirements from stock chassis to any chassis. Keep it up. Were making progress.

Short Course Modified

Chassis/Components: Any chassis allowed. Any bumper allowed, so long as they remain realistic looking.
You forgot to fix the Lipo batt info. :)

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
The chassis plate and the layout was his own design and manufacture. He used Hot Bodies diffs and suspension. He made the body himself too.
I knew his banana body was made by him, but not the chassis. THanks for the clarification. Mark, you are teching most ppls cars anyway, why not be the tech inspector. :)

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You forgot to fix the Lipo batt info. :)
Short Course Modified

Batteries: ROAR approved 6 or 7 cell sub c industry approved standard rechargeable battery or a ROAR approved 7.4V LiPo Battery only.

I did on an edited version above, but not my word Doc. All fixed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the rules sound good to me maybe not the shorten springs though cause u can mess up on that easy cutting to much,were running at outtacontrol rc this sunday hopelly the weahter is nice the track has good grip now, i think if u have a slash though i would remmond a carbon or alum chassis in mod

·
Registered
985 Posts
Of course, if running my chassis DID cause the world to end, we wouldn't have been able to post about it either.

I had a GMK Supply part number and price for the chassis and parts if that ever became an issue...

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with the "open body clip" rule, or "no gyros" -- I love that Greek food! What's the problem with eating them and racing SCs??

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Short Course Modified

I did on an edited version above, but not my word Doc. All fixed.
Looks good. Can you get me some coffee next. :tongue::tongue::tongue:

·
Registered
11 Posts
what about tires though cause i know u wont get grip at all inless the track is moist i know thats a turnoff though cause of the price of tires

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
what about tires though cause i know u wont get grip at all inless the track is moist i know thats a turnoff though cause of the price of tires
The rules so far state open tires as long as it is SC scale. No 1/8th scale tires.

Jconcept makes SC tires, Proline Does, I am sure AKA and other will follow suit as well.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
Mark,

That Outlaw PRO chassis is nice but $135, Ouch.
You know what is really interesting?

Thundertech originally came out with "The Outlaw" chassis for $85 in black G10 fiberglass. Now they only sell the original Outlaw in white G10, probably to discourage people from buying the original instead of the more expensive Pro. If you look closely, you can see that some of the pics of the Pro are actually the original in black G10. But you have to know what to look for to recognize that. I think the $85 original is probably the best deal. I agree it is a high price for what you actually get.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.