Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 927 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The season is still a couple months away, but it's never too early to start prepping for the upcoming indoor onroad season. This thread is for roadcourse and offroad discussion. (Touring Car, WGT, 1/12 scale, 1/18 scale offroad, Slash offroad & 2wd truck offroad) Perhaps a Dirt Runners indoor oval thread will be created in the "oval" section, but I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread to help roadcourse racing begin to thrive at DR.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
For starters, even though our indoor season is still a ways off, Xtreme RC Addicts, located at 200 Moonachie Ave. in Moonachie, NJ is having roadcourse racing tonight and every Friday night.

Classes:
1/12 4 cell/17.5 and 1S/13.5
Stock 18R
Mod 1/18
1/10 Pan Car & Touring Car

Great track, great people, excellent (friendly) competition. A good time is had by all. Check it out:
http://www.xtremercaddicts.com

·
Registered
580 Posts
Right. So, since one of my comments on the outdoor thread was part of the impetus for starting this thread *I think*, I'll copy it here for further discussion, edited for clarity:

Is there any interest in Mini racing on the DR indoor track? Either offroad (Mini-T, RC18T, Mini Revo, etc), onroad (RC18R, Vendetta rally or TC, etc), or oval (the onroad/rally cars)?
How about a 1/10th pan car class? I'm interested in the World GT type cars, but here's the catch: the World GT class rules are written around 1S lipo/4-cell nimh. All well and good for you guys already running 1/12 pan cars, not so good for us offroad guys with loads of 2S lipos and/or 6C nimhs. If I wanted to race a 'legal' WGT car, I'm essentially out of the game because I would have to buy ALL new electronics and battery to run the low voltage setup(a cheap brushed/nimh setup might be affordable). However, the BMI and CRC cars are set up to accept either the 4C nimh, 1S lipo, OR 2S lipo. The ability to run 2S would be the selling point for me. Based on what I've been reading and watching clips, the increased voltage and weight isn't really an advantage(given proper motor choices based on cell count), but it would lower costs for those who already have the gear. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thinking, Matt. I'll post my responses from the other thread.

Mini offroad ran a few times last winter. Mini oval always ran (if I'm not mistaken). I'd definitely be more interested in running my 18R on the roadcourse rather than the oval, but I don't know i we could get enough cars to do that.

Actually, you can use a regular Novak GTB, Tekin RS, LRP SXX, etc as your ESC in a 1S WGT car. You'd only need to get the 1S lipo and a voltage booster and you'd be good to go.

2S/17.5 would most likely be a lot faster than 1S 13.5, but I was hoping we could do 1S/10.5 if we were to do a WGT class, so that could possibly balance it out and make 2S/17.5 vs. 1S 10.5 in WGT do-able. We'd have to do some testing to see if the square peg will fit into the round hole, and I might be overly optimistic, but I think it just might! I'm glad you brought it up.

As an aside, and I know it's comparing apples to footballs, but with a 2S/17.5 setup in my TC5 last year I was running nearly identical laptimes and total laps as I was in 1/12 with a 4 cell/17.5 setup. The caviat is that a 2S 1/10 pan car will be a lot lighter than a 4wd TC running 2S and therefore, much faster. 1S/13.5 in 1/12 seems to be running almost the same as 4 cell/17.5 did, so I would say that in a 1/10 pan car running 1S on the roadcourse, we'd have to run a 10.5 to be competitive with a 2S pan car running a 17.5. It's really just a semi-educated guess on my part, and certainly open to other ideas. I'll have a bit better idea after running my 12R5 on 1S tonight down at Xtreme.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was talking with Brian Jr. last night while we were racing at Xtreme and he's really interested in 1/10 pan roadcourse, WGT, or whatever we want to call it since it's looking like it will be a hybrid class, which is perfect. He too has a stack of 2S lipos, so I think this might be a good way to go. It would be a great way to encourage more outdoor offroad drivers to come indoors and run a roadcourse class since they'd already have the battery, ESC, etc. They'd only need a 17.5 motor and the car.

I'll be getting my 10R5 soon, so I'll do some testing down at Xtreme with a 10.5 and a 13.5 and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I would say to anyone who is interested in running this class; Go ahead and get your car, motor and whatever else you need. We'll make this class happen. And, you can run it down at Xtreme before the DR indoor season starts.

For now, I would propose the rules as this: 1/10 pan car designed for roadcourse racing. 2S lipo, 6 cell pack/17.5 or 1S lipo 10.5 or 4 cell 13.5. (that way we can even get the guys who still have 4 cell packs to run)
Any brand and any compound 1/10 foam tires. Not sure if we should limit the bodies to the 3 that are available from Pro-Line. (I'm doing the Mulsanne body)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another roadcourse class I'd love to see happen at DR is a stock (motor & ESC) 18R class. We run them down at Xtreme and they are an absolute blast. Even in stock configuration, they can be set up to handle extremely well and they're quite snappy and quick for stockers. Brian Jr. drove mine for the first time last night and seemed to really like it.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xtrem Race Report 8/14/09

Racing at Xtreme last night was loads of fun as always. Small-ish turnout, but not bad for mid-summer carpet racing. There were 10 1/12 cars and 12 18Rs. It was my first time running 1S/13.5 in my 12R5. My car setup was great, but I was searching for the gearing all night and after not having driven a carpet car since Feb, I was VERY rusty and qualified 3rd overall. I got close on the gearing in time for the A-main, and started to find my groove, but had 2 small bobbles and I finished 3rd. 18R was different story. The car was on rails right from the start and my gearing was just right for the new, smaller, more technical, but free-flowing track layout. I TQ'd and took the A-main win by about 1 second over Chris, the track owner. It was a great race and another great night at Xtreme. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
979 Posts
I used to run well I should say tried to run a carpet car. I think I had rc 10 something not sure but I had no idea what I was doing. This was back in the day way back. Maybe I should give it a try. Winter is a long time to not run a car!

Any idea as to what kind or kit to get for my first time? Something simple to drive and not hard to set up.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to run well I should say tried to run a carpet car. I think I had rc 10 something not sure but I had no idea what I was doing. This was back in the day way back. Maybe I should give it a try. Winter is a long time to not run a car!

Any idea as to what kind or kit to get for my first time? Something simple to drive and not hard to set up.

Cool, Randy. I'm glad to hear that you're interested in the indoor season, too. If you want something simple, you can't beat a pan car (either 1/10 or 1/12)
Another good and inexpensive option would be an 18R. Those things are a blast to drive and really work great on the carpet with minimal parts investment and minimal tuning. Just like last year, if anyone needs tires trued or help with setup, I'm easy to find on raceday. :)

I'll bring my 12R5 and 18R on Sunday so you guys can check 'em out.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Here are the 2 new classes that I'm proposing along with a basic rules package. I'll provide printed copies to Charlie, Nick & Wayne on Sunday for their perusal and approval.

1/10 Pan Car Road Course (World GT Hybrid)

Chassis: Any 1/10 pan car chassis (10”/255mm wheelbase, 200mm body width) designed for road course racing.

Motor & Battery Combos:
Option 1: 6 cell sub-C pack OR 2S lipo with 17.5 brushless motor or 27 turn brushed motor
Option 2: 4 cell sub-C pack with 13.5 brushless motor
Option 3: 1S Lipo with 10.5 brushless motor or 19 turn brushed motor.

Radio: Any radio may be used.

ESC: Any electronic speed control that does not cause radio interference.

Tires: Any 1/10 foam tires designed specifically for a 1/10 scale pan car.

Body: Proline (Protoform) C6-R Corvette, Mulsanne or Sophia.

Stock 18R Road Course

Chassis: Stock Team Associated 18R chassis. No Exotec chassis allowed.

Radio: Any radio may be used.

Stock Motor & ESC (Heatsinks on the motor and ESC are legal)

Battery: Any 6 cell pack or 2S lipo that is legal per Dirt Runners rules, designed specifically for 1/18 scale racing.

Suspension: The car must retain the original wheelbase, track width and stock appearance. Threaded turnbuckles and threaded body shocks are legal. Car must use stock arms, caster blocks and steering bocks. Alloy parts are prohibited.

Tires: Associated 18R foam tires or kit rubber tires. Foam tires can be trued to any diameter that the driver wishes.

Body: All of the Stock 18R bodies are legal, as well as the Exotec body.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Proposed rules look good!:thumbsup:

I'm doing a little more research at the moment and will hopefully be chassis shopping in a month or so. I've got some poking around to do and figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the various chassis.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Proposed rules look good!:thumbsup:

I'm doing a little more research at the moment and will hopefully be chassis shopping in a month or so. I've got some poking around to do and figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the various chassis.
Thanks, Matt. With the advent of 1S lipo, this winter season should be really good despite the poor economy. And I have a good feeling that the 1/10 pan car class will thrive, partially due to all the motor and battery combos that should work well together.

Heck, if we can get enough guys interested in the 1/10 class who are willing to make the trip in early November, we might even be able to run them on the "big track" up at Marshall's, too.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Another thing I can say about 1S after running it in my 1/12 Friday night, tire wear is virtually nil and the chance of chunking rears is much less as well. With 4-cell sub-C I'd pull the car off after a run and the inside of the body would be coated with foam. I think I counted about 6 specs of foam after my 1S runs on Friday night. ;)

·
Registered
979 Posts
I was looking at the rules for indoor and was wondering if I could use any of my Tamiya 1/10 on road cars? I have a few of them to pick from. I guess it would fall under the touring car modified.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking at the rules for indoor and was wondering if I could use any of my Tamiya 1/10 on road cars? I have a few of them to pick from. I guess it would fall under the touring car modified.
Touring mod and Touring 19T are/were oval classes. Mod never ran last year and 19T only ran once or twice. Road Course Touring class ran all last season. 2S lipo or 6 cell pack with a stock motor (17.5 brushless or 27T brushed)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is what I have not sure how good it would do or if I can use it. Tell me what you think.
Yup, you could use that car in the touring class, assuming there will be a touring car class this winter. Does it have 12mm hexes for the wheels? Cause you're going to need to put foam tires on it to run well on the carpet. If you're interested, I have 2 pairs of Jaco TC foams in double pink compound that I trued up but never used. I'll bring them on Sunday.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A few other legal bodies to add to the list for 1/10 pan car class:

McAllister Ferraro 599 Fiorano (#257)
Parma DB-9 (#10225)
PTI Nissan R-390 (#920001)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Maybe with people reading this they might bring there touring cars out and we will have enough to run. But bring the foams with you cause I was on tower looking for some.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe with people reading this they might bring there touring cars out and we will have enough to run. But bring the foams with you cause I was on tower looking for some.
Yeah, there will probably be enough TCs... And if not, we can always combine the TCs with the pan cars 'til each have enough for their own class.

I'll bring a bunch of TC foams, my 1/12 car, my 18R, etc etc.

1 - 20 of 927 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.