Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bristol Britannia is a Model 314, and has an accurate shape.
The decals of course should be red rather than blue.
The propellers are not original, but are more realistic: the original props that came with this toy model were red.
Some specialize in just Dinky Toys but I have a few. This is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
That's a great looking airplane model. It has clean classic lines. I wonder how many 1:1s still exist of it...

Since I don't know anything about these models, I have to ask: how large is it and what is its scale?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wing span 8 3/4"

Wing span of real plane 142 ft 3 in (1707 in)

1707 / 8.75 = 195

So plane is approximately 1:200.

There may be a real one on display at a British aeronautics museum in Duxford. Or, some might even still be extant in Cuba! The Cuban airline Aerocaribbean operated them into the 1990s.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Thanks for the answers. That's a nice size for a diecast plane. Not too small & not too large. I'll bet there are also 1:1s of that one that pop up here and there in old B&W movies.

How cool it would be to visit Cuba to see all of those vintage cars still trundling around, held together by who-knows-what (and to see and hear the old airplanes flying over...just maybe not to fly in them!)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In fact I remember a scene with one landing in the 1966 Man from UNCLE movie when Napoleon & Ilya go to Greece.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts