Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this in a post somewhere but cant find it. About mixing floor wax with water and putting it a spray bottle. I have been pouring it in a small plastic box, dipping and pouring it back. A spray bottle sounds so much easier. How much water do you use to mix it with?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I haven't tried spraying or mixing it. I have a little jar, 8 OZ or so, that has a lid on it I work from. It's just deep enough to fit a casting in it and I have a pair of hemostats I use for handling it. Then when I'm done I just put the lid back on and don't have to mess w/ the big bottle at all.

I've also used a paint brush to apply it.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
bob just a small amount. do this only if you want a flat gloss. other wise use full strenth for a high gloss look. i do 2 flat and one gloss. let dry fully between spraying. and the good thing is if you screw up. wash in water and soap. let dry and redo

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
im not sure with simple green. why would you use a degreaser mixed with a polish.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gunn. Maybe I'll look for another bottle. Label one flat and the other gloss.

·
Registered
350 Posts
im not sure with simple green. why would you use a degreaser mixed with a polish.
It's supposed to give it a higher shine. Haven't tried it but remember reading in in the link that was posted here.

Ok Found the post. Jitte posted the link in the Lotus post. here's the skinny on mixing future and simple green...

"Future and Simple Green
Future is great for creating a good medium gloss finish and with repeat layers and light sanding at 800 grit between layers can generate a fairly high gloss but if you want something truly outstanding then you need some Simple Green. Simple Green is a household and industrial cleaner found throughout the United States. It can be purchased in concentrated form or premixed. Most grocery stores carry the pre-mixed variety. In a small cup mix three parts Future with one part pre-mix Simple Green. Apply to your model with an airbrush using 15 to 18 psi pressure and about four to six inches of distance. Apply an even slightly wet coat then immediately cover the model with a large bowl or clean box because this will be a major dust magnet. Allow to cure overnight. When you remove the cover your model may appear to be wet still but no, this is the finish that is achieved – a STILL WET LOOK! You can apply a second coat if needed but be sure to cover the model again during the cure process. I failed to do this with one of my cars and it attracted a collection of fine dust particles and they really show up on such a high gloss finish. The Future seems to dry with the same hard finish as when used normally. Due to the high gloss aspect fingerprints will show up very easily so keep a lint free polishing cloth handy for when you cannot resist touching it."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts