Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro in law has owned the 68 Vette since 1970. It has a 427/435 HP. He has made some modifications but kept all of the original parts.
He built a not too good shed for it and it has sat for 7 years. The old shed started falling apart. He had a 10'x18' shed with extra reinforcement in the floor built.
The gas smelled nasty but it started anyway. It took 3 of us 4 hours to get it out, started and into the new shed. The gas tank is rusty and a new one is on order. We siphoned the old gas, changed the plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, plug wires and rubber fuel lines His mechanic will give it a good look when it's in the air for the tank change.

You can see the ceiling starting to fall down about mid way on the passenger side.

It needs work but just needs some $$$ thrown at it. Black is the rarest color for 68.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Beautiful car and really judging from the pics looks like a very doable resto, hell it looks like it's ready for a spin around the block.

If you're looking to trade I have a left...or right arm for you :D

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful car and really judging from the pics looks like a very doable resto, hell it looks like it's ready for a spin around the block.

If you're looking to trade I have a left...or right arm for you :D
If it weren't for the nasty gas and rusty gas tank it is very drivable. He will have it rollbacked to his mechanic to have the tank replaced and give it a good look underneath for brake and fuel lines ect just to make sure he doesn't wreck it over something stupid. We did the under hood stuff and siphoned the gas.
(it took 5 hours) He said the gas tasted nasty too lol. I enjoyed working on the beast. Back in the late 60s I owned a 67 with the same motor, Lyndale blue with white interior and white stinger hood. SIGH

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried to buy the car when I was looking for my AMX. Owning a car for 40 + years makes it hard to get rid of. He is in Ohio and his sister and I are in Alabama. He comes here to fish in the spring and fall so I told him at least he could enjoy it twice a year AND it would be kept in a garage with a cement floor. He couldn't let it go. My hope is that after installing a new gas tank he will try to enjoy it more.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Such a shame a fun car like that sat for seven years. I hope he gets it purring again and has many years of enjoyment driving it...

:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
It's a shame the 68's have such a bad rap.............but like many cars they did fall prey to those "first model year" issues.

That being said, they can be sorted out, and that is a nice car that has a lot of potential. If he gives up on it, please let me know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts