Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
The shots of the one showing a green hue were apparently taken with flash which generally gives an accurate rendition of the colour. If there was some colour filtration going on to change the blue to green, the other blue hues would be altered too. I wouldn't be that quick to write off the green colour.

·
Registered
246 Posts
DX-SFX said:
If there was some colour filtration going on to change the blue to green, the other blue hues would be altered too.
Agreed, and they have been.... check the deflector. Also, the photon exhaust seems to look a bit weird.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I guess the world may never know. Has anyone tried to contact the painters? I emailed Phil over at cloudster to see if he remembered, after all he did take pictures of the refit after TMP. I doubt I will get a reply.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Treadwell, I was going to post a very similar comparison right when you did. I would have still but I cant remember how to post a pic from a outside link :) You are right in the money though.

Anyhow, the picture with the green. I dont think its a color problem, I think its the real enterprise with green. Its definately not the original paint scheme from TMP though. Here is my theory. That is the TWOK first repaint by ILM. Keeps the green from TMP, with less detailed strong back, dull coat. Her next repaint is for Star Trek 4 with the intro of the Alpha and shes goes blue.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yeah when I compared that picture I noticed one was the refit and one was the A and there is a different paint job on one. Does anyone know when those flicker pictures where taken?

·
Registered
246 Posts
2001. And notice the A on the dish in one of the photos. Also, notice that there are missing red saucer separation lines across the blue vertical bar on the dorsal (the lines got covered over in the respray).

then check this shot from prior the repaint( ST2, maybe ST3 which we know because of the position of the damage), and the red lines are still present. Conclusion, it is not TWOK version on the flickr site as it has been repainted by this point.

http://www.st-bilder.de/datein/bilder/Modelle/Constitution/V2/gallery/B_MODELL_CON_271.jpg

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
fiercegaming said:
I guess the world may never know. Has anyone tried to contact the painters? I emailed Phil over at cloudster to see if he remembered, after all he did take pictures of the refit after TMP. I doubt I will get a reply.
yes. mr paul olsen who painted the ship for TMP (however he did NOT paint the areas in question, just the pearlescent white aztec parts) was contacted by several members of this forum (self included) at the time that the PL kit was about to be released, and he was quite graceous with responses, advice and information. however he doesnt remember a whole lot about it and has no personal pictures of the paint work (except for one taken while he was working on it, where the model is mostly covered with paper.)
what he does remember is that he painted the aztek pattern with metalflake brand "flip-flop" laquers, which were new at the time and now cost about $35 per pint (available from speciality automotive paint suppliers). his reccolection about the parts in question is that they were greenish, and painted with model railroad paints. he has added some notes about the enterprise paint job to his website because of all the emails he was getting on the subject.
he also reminds us that the ship took him a couple of months to paint working 8 to 10 hour days, 6 days a week, so that any kit where a couple of huors a day is put into it with take a very very very long time to paint properly.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Who is the one that painted the strongback? Wasn't it Ray (forget his last name), has anyone contacted him at all? Paul thinks he remembers it was green though?

Flux Chiller said:
2001. And notice the A on the dish in one of the photos. Also, notice that there are missing red saucer separation lines across the blue vertical bar on the dorsal (the lines got covered over in the respray).

then check this shot from prior the repaint( ST2, maybe ST3 which we know because of the position of the damage), and the red lines are still present. Conclusion, it is not TWOK version on the flickr site as it has been repainted by this point.

http://www.st-bilder.de/datein/bilder/Modelle/Constitution/V2/gallery/B_MODELL_CON_271.jpg
Yeah one would think it would have had its repaint already since it is the A on those pictures and there are differences. So that green where seeing on those must be wrong some how?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Another repaint in its history:

The guys who did the effects for STV complained (in Cinefex, Starlog, something like that) that when they uncrated the ship they were dismayed to find that an entire side had been painted a solid white. A repaint hadn't been planned budgetwise or timewise so it was a setback. I think they were under the impression that ILM had done it for the closing shot of STIV, but I read elsewhere that this repaint was due to the model being used for bluescreen shots made on videotape for the Universal attraction. The people doing that had trouble with spill, and in typical "let the next guy worry about it" fashion, slapped on their own coat with no fine detail whatsoever.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
So when they opened the crate for ST5 they noticed one side was plain white, this should have been fixed though before 5 correct? So your saying after the ST4 shot at the end of the movie they then used it for that universal attraction and they had a hard time bluescreening so they painted one whole side white? Is that clear? What a bad deal for ST5.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Here is what paul wrote back to me. I emailed him last night.

Thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate them.

The engineering section was painted with Floquil railroad modeler's
paint...it was a sage green and was a flat paint, and it was straight
from the bottle and not mixed...so if you could find a sage green that
that they make, that would be it.

The real trick would be the pearlescent paints I used...they had only
just come out, were horrendously expensive ($45 for a 4oz jar). The best
thing I can tell you about that is to put you onto a German lawyer who
is doing the same model, and with typical German thoroughness, has
researched this to death...he can help you regarding what is available
out there. I used four pearl colors that were transparent: a blue, a
gold, a red, and a green...they all flip-flopped to their complements
when the viewing angle changed. Beautiful. By varying the amount of
color, and the mixture of several colors on top of each other, I
obtained myriad colors and depth of color. Just spray lightly and keep
adding...you don't want any drips. The trick with airbrushing is to
spray ever so lightly, then keep on adding color. Cut yourself lots of
stencils (friskets) of all different rectangular and square shapes
(except for the curved shapes on the dish) and apply them in a random
order and keep building them up. What you are doing is giving the ship
scale by having it made from "panels" that we understand as such...like
the engine nacelles of a commercial jet and the body panels.ddddd

The man's name is Dariush and his email is: (ask me) I know
he would be more than happy to help you and probably give you more
information than you will ever need. He's a nice guy, though.

I used a Paasche A-1 airbrush...the Chevy of airbrushes, but it worked
fine. I still have it, though I now use Iwata's when I paint. Any
airbrush will do because you will using lacquer paints that self-clean
as the thinner is also the solvent.

Good luck! Be sure to contact Dariush...he will be the expert on the
Polar Lights model!

all the best,

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hoorah for Iwaata, and lacquer paints! If it was auto stuff it is just being banned by the EU over here (just an aside that comment)

Appreciate the posting of that email, fierceg.

Fesarius's site is utterly bonkers. Quite amazing the lengths some guys will go to. Awaiting new updates there though...

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
No problem flux. Paul did end up saying the strongback was painted sage pale green so its official. He gave some good information, if you have not read it...check it out.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts