Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find out what something is worth? Been away from collecting for a long time. Used to get a magazine years ago.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Yeah, ebay is always a quick one for me. It just tells me what the "going rate" for them may be. Some diecast have their own price guide, I believe Hot Wheels and maaaaybe Greenlight too(not sure on that one)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Not to step on anybodys toes here but I wouldn't use eBay or lean on it as a price guide resource for Diecast as I just picked up a $200+ Car off of eBay for $20 MINT in Box .... That being said, it just shows the economy is down in what people are willing to pay for Diecast. If you are interested in knowing what you own, I would go to Barns & Nobles Book Store and find the Collectable area and look for Lees Toys Review Magazine that comes out every month for current prices and if that doesn't work for you then there are other Price Guides you can thumb through on the shelves .... Hope this helps .... Just remember 99% of people who Collect will only pay what they feel it is worth and not what is written in the Price Guides.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Well yeah, I never said that ebay was a true source to find a car's value. I just meant that I go there to see what people are paying for certain cars. I never sell anything from my collection anyway, so I wouldn't know much on the values :D

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I think "price guides" are only useful for insurance purposes and very old rare pieces.Ebay gives you an idea of what people are paying for an item at that time.I have seen many things sell for a price of $50+one day and days later another will sell for less $10.
The value of anything is what the buyer is willing to pay or the seller is willing to take.:wave:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I agree that the Price Guides are more used to price an item when it comes to Insurance purposes and that is a touchy area too as all Books are different in prices from one book to another and a Insurance Company will fight with you too in what a item is worth in there eyes to pay you. Insurance Companies want Photo's that are dated with you holding the Car as well as Video of your home or business where they are displayed or kept .... I say Collect what ya like and don't worry about prices unless you want to sell and then put a price on it and " prey " you get it .... I have a friend who love to get 20k for his Redlines but him and I know is a stab in the dark with todays Market.

eBay is a great source to buy from when the price is right and boy has it been right the last couple of years ....

I have this friend who went to the Vegas Convention and came home with a butt load of George Barris Signed items and wanted to know what these are worth and I had to tell him that they are only worth what a person is willing to pay as Geroge Barris Signs everything as well as Larry Wood , Carroll Shelby and so forth in designers or creators .... I told him to hold onto them for 40-50 more years then they will be worth something to someone as Diecast will never fade away as its been Collected since the 1900's .... I did tell him that he may need to explain who these people are who Signed the Cars when sold .... LOL ....

·
Registered
8,445 Posts
Its only worth what someones willing to pay, post it on E-bay and pray! :lol:
Very well said MR John... I've been collecting for more than 45 years and have never, never worried or thought about value on any piece... I still have almost all of my original MB cars from the early 60s... I have set them up at car shows, model shows, and some diecast shows for viewing purposes only... The value to me is priceless for the fond memories of play, collecting, and the family members who gave them to me as gifts... I have never been into collecting for "VALUE"... Only for "FUN"... Any piece is only worth what someone will pay for it... The market is so up and down, it's almost worse than the stock markets...
Thw max I have been offered for my vintage Matchboxes was $1,200.00 for 54 cars... I turned it down !!!
Not that I couldn't use the cash, but I can use the cars more !!!

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Not to step on anybodys toes here but I wouldn't use eBay or lean on it as a price guide resource for Diecast as I just picked up a $200+ Car off of eBay for $20 MINT in Box
That is not possible. If you paid $20 for the car in e-bay, then its value is $20, not $200.

As has been stated before, nothing has any value except that which someone else is willing to pay.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
That is not possible. If you paid $20 for the car in e-bay, then its value is $20, not $200.

As has been stated before, nothing has any value except that which someone else is willing to pay.

The Car I picked up is a Limited Edition Onyx Chrome 1/18 Camaro that is worth around $200.....Most people don't realize that eBay is a dumping zone for people who want to sell there items and what nots. From my past experiences people have no clue on what a item is worth as they don't want to do the research in finding out what it is worth so they post it and prey that they get something. The people who know what an item is worth are always looking to make a million dollars and they never sell the item.....5 years ago I picked up a $700+ 10 1/4" VHTF Collectors Limited Porceline Plate for $20.....Yes it is only worth what a person is willing to pay but to get a item that cheap and it being a Limited Production is very lucky. There are bargains out there everyday at the right price to keep for yourself or flip to make a profit....Im keeping what I found for the time, but if a person wants it and the price is right then it will be re-sold .... Everything has a price on it in this world whether its a book price or your made up price. Collect what you like and enjoy it while you have it here in this world as you can never take it with you when you pass on.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
The Car I picked up is a Limited Edition Onyx Chrome 1/18 Camaro that is worth around $200.....<snip> .....5 years ago I picked up a $700+ 10 1/4" VHTF Collectors Limited Porceline Plate for $20.

I completely disagree. That car is worth $20. And that plate is worth $20.

But this particular quote confuses me the most:

Most people don't realize that eBay is a dumping zone for people who want to sell there items and what nots.
Do you know how old e-bay is? If so, do you understand that everybody in the entire world that has Internet access and that wants something, is looking for it on e-bay? That means that a large percentage of the plate collectors in the world saw that "$700 plate" go up, but they let you buy it for $20. What that means is that its value has changed from $700 to $20. If it was really worth $700, the rest of the world's plate collectors would not have let you just walk off with it.

The only way your scenario makes any sense is if someone put up an auction for only 30 mins and no one else had a chance to see it. Any ebay auction that lasts for the normal 5 to 7 days sells for exactly what it's worth. It doesn't matter that many people don't like e-bay or that many sellers don't ship internationally or that many buyers are wary of buying from overseas. The fact remains that it is the worlds largest collectable market place. If it had the higher value you thought it had, someone would have paid that much for it.

E-bay has driven down the cost of ALL collectables because things that used to be rare or HTF are now for sale all the time. The truely rare items still go for big money, even on e-bay.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I completely disagree. That car is worth $20. And that plate is worth $20.

But this particular quote confuses me the most:

Do you know how old e-bay is? If so, do you understand that everybody in the entire world that has Internet access and that wants something, is looking for it on e-bay? That means that a large percentage of the plate collectors in the world saw that "$700 plate" go up, but they let you buy it for $20. What that means is that its value has changed from $700 to $20. If it was really worth $700, the rest of the world's plate collectors would not have let you just walk off with it.

The only way your scenario makes any sense is if someone put up an auction for only 30 mins and no one else had a chance to see it. Any ebay auction that lasts for the normal 5 to 7 days sells for exactly what it's worth. It doesn't matter that many people don't like e-bay or that many sellers don't ship internationally or that many buyers are wary of buying from overseas. The fact remains that it is the worlds largest collectable market place. If it had the higher value you thought it had, someone would have paid that much for it.

E-bay has driven down the cost of ALL collectables because things that used to be rare or HTF are now for sale all the time. The truely rare items still go for big money, even on e-bay.

Okay I see I will have to explain what I am talking about how eBay is a dumping zone and how people don't know what they have and what things are worth. Yes eBay has been around for many moons as I sell on the Bay as well.

The Onyx Chrome Camaro is Limited to 2k pieces only worldwide if found - much less than any Hot Wheels TH ever made and the person who sold it wrote down that it was smoked color and not the correct color, and he even had it in the wrong selling category. This doesn't make it worth any less than what it is but what it turned out to be it was his mistake in not knowing what it is and how rare of a Car it is and as well as putting it in a wrong area on the Bay....

Okay now for the Plate. The Plate is a NHL Artist Proof Plate of Wayne Gretzky/Gordie Howe Signed Plate that books well over $700 as there were a low #er in Plates signed by the Artist alone and the person who sold it again didn't know what it was as they wrote down Gretsky with "sky" and not "zky" at the end of his name and Gordon and not Gordie so this makes all sense in how people dont know what they have and they put it on the Bay to sell ....

Mispelling and wrong Categories are the key to find rare gems at low prices... Give it a try as you never know what you may find...

eBay has changed from a sellers market to a buyers market the last 3 years, as I have been on it for 10....Its a great place to buy items that you are looking for no doubt but you definitely have to be wary of Fake items if you don't know what it is as well as DOA or Tampered items with Electronics ..... I always look for mispelling of an item and items thats are in the wrong category to be sold as you never know what you may find. I got lucky more than a few times on the Bay in rare items at a low price. Most people who do searching usually type in what the item is with name of brand etc .....I type in what I am looking for with no name brand most of the time and usually there it sits at a lower price or not at all.

I was watching a Auction this morning that had 40+ sealed HW Cars mixed in years in the Lot that sold for .99c .....I dont Collect HW's anymore so it meant nothing to me but you can't tell me that each of these Cars are only worth 0.02475 each. eBay is what it is right now and most Corps I have gone through have stopped putting items on eBay as the market has shifted right now.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I understand about misspellings and wrong categories but so does everyone else. Most collectors that I know of construct their e-bay searches to account for misspells and incorrect categories. Sure, not everyone does, but literally thousands do and that's more than enough to bring in the other bidders if they really wanted something. The loss of the view count feature on most auctions has removed a lot of the info we used to get about the competition.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I was watching a Auction this morning that had 40+ sealed HW Cars mixed in years in the Lot that sold for .99c .....I dont Collect HW's anymore so it meant nothing to me but you can't tell me that each of these Cars are only worth 0.02475 each. eBay is .
But how much was the shipping? I've been seeing more and more sellers gouging bidders on shipping to avoid ebay fees.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
But how much was the shipping? I've been seeing more and more sellers gouging bidders on shipping to avoid ebay fees.
I believe the shipping was $9.95 .... It wasn't much like most people charge for a HW Lot ....

I lost a Auction last night that I missed and fell off. A 6 Car Lot of Jada/RC that sold for .99 + $6.00 s/h ... Not too bad at .85c ea still sealed

1 - 20 of 22 Posts