Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I was shot down pretty early on my idea of taking pics of certain brand diecast cars and having limited edition print made.

well, what do you think of this idea.

How about a CenterShock design calendar featuring photos of diecast?
Would that be something of interest?

I could go 2 ways with it. Strictly a calendar with shots of cars or I can go in another direction.

A couple of years ago I designed a calendar that me and my roommate handed out to all of our friends. Instead of 1 pic per page, I made collages of pics of all of our friends from past gatherings like Halloween, Turkey Day, etc... I also secretly gathered all of their birthdays and had them printed on the calendars. We gave them out as Christmas gifts and they were a hit. I could do something like that instead if we get enough participation.

Keep in mind I work at a print shop so these calendars will look like real calendars, not like printouts done at home.

Any suggestions or input?
If enough people would want to see something like this the next thing I would do is take suggestions on castings if I go the cars only route.

Some sample pics. Of course, the calendar would have new, never posted pics.

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GeraldE61 said:
I think tasteful pictures of the cars, no photoshop in the background would appeal to myself, maybe taking in an outdoor setting.
FYI, the only Photoshop work done on the pics I listed here is cropping and adjusting color to look more like the cars. (sometimes lighting doesn't work with me) All those backgrounds are real.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
I have a diecast calendar for 2006 from Diecast X magazine. It's pretty nice, even has a few JL cars on it.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
A great idea. I think some of those photos are as good as the 1:1 calendars. I agree with Gerald about the outdoor setting. Might be difficult given the scale difference, but worth a try. Matt has a good idea too.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I really like the angles of some of these photos. Judging from most people's reaction, I think variety is the key word for the backgrounds. Outdoors alone isn't going to cut it. You need to creat little scenes that show off each car in a different way, so that in each pic, there's something new to catch the eye. Yes, the cars themselves are eye-catching, yes they should be the main focus. But keep in mind, for your calander to be a hit, you need 12 uniquely creative shots. "Creative" being the key word. Producing a calander, or any graphic arts project takes a lot of work and practice. That's why professional photographers take hundreds of shots sometimes just to get those twelve outstanding ones that reflect each month, each season. Think of those monthly and seasonal themes. Also, on a personal note. if this were done right, I think one car featured in a sharp way each month, would be better than a big montage of die-cast.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I'm in, Nick. But you have your work cut out for you. The car calendar on my wall right now sports a 1932 Chevrolet Confederate Cabriolet Series BA, and each month has been cool car photos like that.

If you are going to do diecast cars, I can try to have my own display of the featured car each month. I am always trying to think of a little variety for my displays.

Anyway, sounds like a good idea, and I am interested in supporting it.

Mike

·
Atomic Punk
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input guys keep it coming.

I probably wouldn't rush one in for 2007 for the reason most of you guys mentioned. Quality and variety. Taking pics thruoug out 2007 will allow me to get some cool outdoor pics from all the seasons. That is one plus of PA! I will need to practice that. They are diecast so don't expect them to look like they are on the highway (althoug I may dabble with that. ;) ) but expect some good shots. I will probably submit 5 shots per month and have a poll so we al get to decide what makes it to print. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Maybe you could get one of the HT sponsors to sponsor the calender. And depending on how many you make maybe include a limited edition car. With a cool CenterShock and sponsor logo on it :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
638 Posts
heres an idea for a background for your cars the tucker looks a little like a real car . sometimes if you take a picture of a real background im sure you could make the little car look real in the foreground .

same for a winter scene

a diecast calander would be neat

1 - 20 of 25 Posts