Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a thread that HT members can post memories their diecast collecting (hopefully more GOOD than bad memories).

I'll start.

I remember when diecast companies didn't make CHASE cars. I could go to a store after work and still find some cars that I liked.

eBay wasn't around, and I had to attend toy shows to buy cars that I couldn't find in the stores. Many sellers that once set-up at toy shows only sell on eBay now.

Can anyone add to "Diecast......I remember when"?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I remember when....

the only major tiy store "CHAIN" near my house was LIONEL KIDDIE CITY and my Dad wouldnt always drive the 20miles to get there! That was a treat to get to go there! TRU was even farther.

I had to make do with Woolworths, the local toy store, and my town's local 5&10 that still were around. Poor me!
At any given moment one could buy Matchbox Superfast [from the window display] Hot Wheels, Playart/Peelers, Zylmex, and Corgi/Corgi Juniors in the same store. Great times!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I remember what STUTZ said and when I sold or traded away extra Cars out of my trunk of my car....

Those were the days when collectors had to hunt and not have web OLDS do all the work for you.

·
Registered
9,677 Posts
I remember going to a store called Nichols and getting the cheaper plastic cars instead of micro machines

Back then it was quantity! Thanks mom!

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I remember when....

the only major tiy store "CHAIN" near my house was LIONEL KIDDIE CITY and my Dad wouldnt always drive the 20miles to get there! That was a treat to get to go there! TRU was even farther.

I had to make do with Woolworths, the local toy store, and my town's local 5&10 that still were around. Poor me!
At any given moment one could buy Matchbox Superfast [from the window display] Hot Wheels, Playart/Peelers, Zylmex, and Corgi/Corgi Juniors in the same store. Great times!

I also remember stores like that HWJOE. When I was a kid most adults bought diecast for kids (son, nephew, neighbors), and not for themselves. Times have changed. I buy diecast for myself now......my grandsons don't have an interest in diecast. Gosh, I loved going to a 5 &10 and local mom and pop stores that sold diecast cars.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Holy moley!!!!!! Going to the toy store! The lighted display cases filled with the most awesomemostesist cars and trucks on the planet! I would ride my bike 4 miles just to look! Thinking, one day....................one day!!!!!!!!!! Corgi, Matchbox supers!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,640 Posts
My memeories is muuuch different, i had a TYRANNICAL father who used to make me do the most mindbending tortures ,just so i could get a hot wheels from the two story! Sears down the street from my house..such things as being good and quiet in a store??!!!Gimme my tiny cars, i sweeeear i'll rake the leaves....sometime soon..

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm dating myself now but I'm going way back to the '70's....

With my babysitting money (I used to baby-sit my nephew, who's now bigger than ME!) and/or my $2 weekly allowance that my dad gave me on Fridays, I made the Saturday pilgrimage to a department store called Wertheimer's (long since closed), and upstairs to the 3rd floor Toy dept. I went...they had the latest Hot Wheels "Super Chromes" and/or "Flying Colors" vehicles and oh, what a moment to buy a Chevy Monza 2+2, or American Hauler, Maxi Taxi, or Mustang Stocker!

To me, going to Wertheimer's on Saturday was like Christmas...so much so that I hardly slept the night before.

Call me weird, call me crazy, but I love, love, LOVE cars!!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I remember when a big box of orange track was about the most fun a kid could have.
I remember when nothing moved faster than a car launched onto a Johnny Lightning 500 track.
Heck, I remember when little toy cars were actually meant for kids. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy moley!!!!!! Going to the toy store! The lighted display cases filled with the most awesomemostesist cars and trucks on the planet! I would ride my bike 4 miles just to look! Thinking, one day....................one day!!!!!!!!!! Corgi, Matchbox supers!!!!!!!!

There were three drug stores in my area when I was a kid. When I walked home from Junior High School I walked past all of them. Each drug store had a soda fountain and they all sold toys including diecast cars. I would pick a different store each day to have a nickel Coke at the soda fountain on my way home from school and look at the Matchbox cars.

I also remember picking up returnable pop bottles that were worth 2 cents and redeeming them at one of the drug stores to buy a Matchbox car. It wasn't easy to take enough bottles at one time to buy a single Matchbox car. The lady at the soda fountain was really nice to take my empty pop bottles and give me 2 cents each for them, and I learned to recycle at a young age.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I remember when.......

I remember driving to California with my Mother in 1969, in a Mercury station wagon. I was sitting in the third seat, facing the rear window, as Mom drove through Nevada at a high rate of speed (No daytime speed limit back then) My older sister told me I should set up my hot wheels track so it would go out the back window, and send my redlines flying out to watch how far they would fly.
being a stupid little kid, I did just that, and boy did they bounce cool.
wasnt long though, and my original hot wheels case was empty.

When we arrived in Anaheim California to see my Grandparents, My Grandpa noticed my hot wheels case. He asked me if I had any nice cars.
I just looked at the ground and told him what happened to them. And that the case was empty.

Grandpa scooped me up, grabbed my empty hot wheels case and put us in his pick up truck.
away we went to the toy store. we went straight to the toy car aisle & he filled my case back up, and made me promise not to listen to my stupid sister anymore.
great advice.
and one of my favorite memories of my Grandpa!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I remember when people in Mississippi would think Sam Walton was one of the characters on the TV show and Walmart was probably some place you went to buy dark fiberboard paneling for your den. TG&Y was the place to shop when I was a kid and I can still remember seeing the Hot Ones and blackwalls hanging on the pegs.

I remember my mom bribing me to eat spinach by telling me I could pick out a Hot Wheel. A black Stutz Blackhawk was my reward for ingesting boiled slime!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I remember going food shopping with my mother, she would give me 2.00 she would go to Heartland and I would be off to JM Fields and get myself a couple of hot wheels which I still have today 35yrs later!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I remember when K-Toys, Ames, and K-Mart, were the best places for diecast.

I remember when diecast was actually made out of metal

I remember when diecast vehicles used to take up the whole isle

·
Banned
255 Posts
I remember the days when collectors would just buy what they liked. Not if it had a green stripe or rubber tires or white wheels or green rims. Just what they liked and only one or two of them, then the next collector could go in and get something he liked.
Oh wait I was just dreaming.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Diecast...I remember when the girl next door named Michelle and I used to play. Her father was a mgr. at a drug store,he was always bringing HW's home to give to me,he had no son,just a daughter that had no interest in cars. This was during the redline era.

Diecast...I remember when MB was in the big plastic see thru display,all with their own number,you told the salesperson what numbers you wanted and if they were in stock you received your car in an actual box.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I remember the days when collectors would just buy what they liked. Not if it had a green stripe or rubber tires or white wheels or green rims. Just what they liked and only one or two of them, then the next collector could go in and get something he liked.
Oh wait I was just dreaming.

You know when I had my original collection that is the way I was then and the way I am now.

I remember having a Matchbox City growing up and I remember walking into the local hobby shop in Western Nebraska and finding a Freightliner White fire truck in the HO Scale section that looked pretty close to the Engine that I was riding on at the time. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I hate ex-wives.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Some of my newer memories of collecting diecast are when I had to deceide on what stores I wanted to visit on a particular day (I didn't have time to go to all of them). There were a lot of stores in a 15 radius of my home that are no longer in business (several Hills which became Ames, and then Ames closed, all the K-B stores closed......there were 4 not far away, a couple K-MART stores closed, and even a Franklin Mint store at a local mall......so cool to visit the Franklin Mint store:thumbsup:, and there wasn't a problem if you wanted to pick-up a 1:24 scale car and look at it).

K-B had some great prices on Johnny Lightning cars, and the TRU Johnny Lightning BOGO of 2007 is something that I'll always remember. Gosh, my local TRU stores had so my different series of JL cars hanging on the pegs. The JL 2 car value packs at TRU were a bargain (2005 or 2006 I believe). One TRU must have had close to a hundred of the JL 2 car value packs hanging on a section of pegs in the diecast aisle. Some 2 car JL value packs had WLs in them! :hat:

I see people posting that they have many stores in there area that sell diecast. Once that was true in my area. I guess I live in a diecast depressed area now.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I remember the same MB display of going to tr 5 and dime and pickin from the display model. The worst thing ever being when there were no more aside from the display. sometimes I could convince the little old last to sell me the display. I go there and buy candy cigarettes and matchbox while my mo
Would be a the bank across the street.

Man how times have changed, and im I only just turning 35. I couldn't imagine letting my 7 year old going across the street in town by herself now adays

I Sat last night watching in awe as my daughter and my buddies 2 boys played with he collection. Setting up a "car show" that spanned the length of the living room 3 layers deep. Lol. It was just so cool to see them play. Then I cringed and probably pulled a muscle as they "cleaned" them up dropping them into the car bin.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts