Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I normally stay in the diecast world, but I am currently working on a project that needs to have a plastic body and needs to be a fairly large vehicle, like a straight truck or dairy delivery. Can anyone here think of anything that would work that wouldnt be too hard to come across? The base doesnt matter as that will be completely scratch built. Thanks in advance!!!

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Us HO scale guys usually turn to 1/87 scale for truck type material. A 1/64th truck exceeds our lane width. There are a few 1/87 manufacturers out there. Scope out Boley at 3000 toys... http://www.3000toys.com/catalog/products.asp?CLEARANCE=1&MFG=BOLEY&setup= You might find what you're looking for there. The hoods are usually die cast, but the rest is plastic. Other than that, all I can suggest is see what turns up on the bay.. Good luck with your project!!

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,702 Posts
Not to be nosey, but if we knew a little more about what you wanted to build??? A car hauler or inclosed trailer maybe??? If so you can take some styrene sheets and build a box to your needs...RM

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help so far! The project is a feat of engineering in itself to get working, its gone through a few revisions just getting the electrical figured out. I figured if 1.2V in a sizzler is fast, running 2 cells in series for 2.4 V would be faster. It is, however rear wheel drive was too squirly, front wheel drive would torque steer, so it would have to be all wheel drive, so now I need to house 2 motors and 4 cells, and need a body big enough to give it all a spot, but still keep weight to an absolute minimum. Ive been working on the dynamics of it without a body just to know what all its going to need. The first one had a mishap with charging and melted in on itself. Now I have a working all wheel drive one that is extremely fast, just need to make it pretty now. :)

Sorry to be long winded...thanks again for the help.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
The plastic body route will be the way to go then. Any additional weight from die cast parts might be helpful in adding some traction, but at the same time will work them little motors and heat them up pretty fast.. Good luck with your selection!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts