Hobbyist Forums banner

Do you care about production numbers with the diecast you collect?

• Yes,I am interested in knowing production numbers

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • No,I don't care about knowing production numbers

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • I couldn't care either way

Votes: 20 39.2%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people like to know how many pieces are in a release of diecast they are interested in...others say who cares,just collect what you like.

What type of collector are you?

I vote yes.

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
I think it's nice to know the production number for diecast castings, but I'm sure some diecast companies don't know the production number for every diecast car that they made (even chase car versions). Chase car production numbers are more important to me. Greenlight puts the number on the base of their cars (both regular issue and Green Machine issue).......Remember when Johnny Lightning did the same thing?

Hot Wheels listed the Treasure Hunt production of 10,000 in 1995, and 25,000 in 1996.

I'd like to know the Treasure Hunt production for 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 (both regular TH and $uper TH production for the last few years).

Does anyone know a realistic production number for Hot Wheels regular 2009 Treasure Hunts and 2009 $uper Treasure Hunts?

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I don't care either way. If it is a diecast car that meets my needs I don't care if the production run was 1 million. I know some collectors are into knowing production runs which I acknowledge and thus gave my answer as not caring either way.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I voted, "No I don't care...". It does not matter as long as the car is of interest to me and fits into my collection. If it meets those two criteria I get enjoyment out of it and that is all I care about.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I voted "I couldn't care either way ". If it's a Mustang I'll take it, but sometimes I do get curious on how many was made.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
It really doesn't matter to me. I'll collect what is of interest to me whether it's rare or not. Like all of us, sometimes I score a rarity unexpectedly.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I voted yes simply because I find it an interesting sidenote to go along with the car.... otherwise I don't particularly care "exactly" how many are out there. Some guys as you know are fanatical about the production run numbers...:rolleyes:

I like what I like and grab what of it I can.:wave:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
In general, I couldn't care either way.

For 1:64 scale sized cars, it doesn't matter to me.

For 1:43 or larger, if it is something like a limited edition, it's nice to know, but I don't really care.

One problem with this, especially with low production runs, is it drives up the price of something. I rather see a model made for everyone, than those with deep pockets... :drunk:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I voted yes because if it's an Oldsmobile and the #s are low, I need to make sure I get right away, otherwise it'll probably cost me a small fortune to get it. Example: When was the last time you saw a Johnny Retro R5 71 Olds Cutlass WL ? and what did it sell for?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I care but for another reason. I like to judge the success of each release and review die cast sales overall. For example, the first release of K-Mart exclusive Pixar cars were hard to come by but the last release wasn't so bad. Were there less in the first release or were collectors more interested in them at the time?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
For example, the first release of K-Mart exclusive Pixar cars were hard to come by but the last release wasn't so bad. Were there less in the first release or were collectors more interested in them at the time?
Remember the 2nd K-Mart day they allowed on-line presale of the cases. Many people (me for one) simply ordered a case on-line and then didn't need to go to the store. That would seem to leave more at the store for others to find.

The cases for the 3rd K-Mart day went on Internet pre-sale yesterday but the contents are so crappy that I'm going to wait and go in person to pick up just the things I need.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I'm interested in the production numbers, but they don't always influence my purchase. I would be lying if I said that I would leave a "1 of 2500" on the pegs just because I don't collect that type of car. On the other hand, diecasts with very high production numbers are equally loved in my collection.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If I was to limit the hours I work, would they pay me more because of it? :lol:

Numbered cars, if they made 60 of, I would want #60 myself. Barring inconsistency in production of, #1 thru #60 are all the same, I would think, although there is only 1 numbered 42,43 and on through.

I'm a "numbers" one, what do the "numbers tell me?" though. If 2000 are produced and sold out, produce 2000 more and sell out, would be normal way of indication, want to meet demand w/o to much overage. Not always feasible given the nature/logistics involved in producing die-cast.
I'm a fan of Model Railroading, not a adept consumer of but, seems I remember a company would produce a piece for a low demand model, provided they had the numbers that would buy and understanding of higher price because of it.

10,000 THs :eek: , that's a production run, I'd venture a guess, that to a certain extent, they are produced to meet a demand of.

Like the average citizen, I don't have time to vote, besides the answers sound all the "same" to me :lol:

Go Vote! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to everyone for the replies and votes for the poll.

This surprises me,I thought there would be more votes for yes people care.

btw...I vote :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
YES YES YES YES YES!!!

If the price of diecast goes up, and regs and chases are priced the same (in the stores) then number them, so I know I have 1 of "X" or the same with a chase run.
I think we all agree, if a car is made well and has the quality, we will pay if we like the casting, right? Now, if you have the same sickness I do for chase, test, and the like, wouldn't you want to know how "rare" something is. I know I do.:wave:

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
I couldn't care about production numbers at all... As long as I like it and I can grab on to 1 or 2 for my collection, I'm satisfied !!!
But on the other hand, the more made increases my chances of finding what I want !!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I couldn't care about production numbers at all... As long as I like it and I can grab on to 1 or 2 for my collection, I'm satisfied !!!
But on the other hand, the more made increases my chances of finding what I want !!!

That's exactly how I feel. I collect to satisfy my love of cars, not to have some rare toys.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The only reason that I would care about production quantities
is because of the price. If there is 15,000 pieces made and
the price is $20, then I have to decide if it is worth the price.
Most diecast, especially limited editions, do not hold their
value and I can pick them up later.
Now if it is a custom job, then the price is warranted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts