Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did you ever write to Aurora requesting a model subject? What was it?

The thread about Dave Cockrum mentioned requests Aurora received to immortalize subjects in styrene, J-2 being a popular choice. "Seaview" said he was one of the folks who sent a letter in requesting the aforementioned kit. Did you ever write to Aurora requesting a particular kit? I sure did!

My letter to Aurora suggested a "risen dead" ghoul, and I included a drawing ripped off from (er, excuse me, "inspired by") a Berni Wrightson panel in the "Web of Horror" comic, "The Game That Plays You".

I remember how excited I was when a response came with the big, bold "A" logo emblazoned on it! The letter was polite, and spoke in general terms about how subjects were chosen. It was probably a form letter, but I still treasured it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can add my name to those who wrote requesting a Jupiter II. I recall getting a letter back, but don't remember any specifics. No doubt it also was a form letter.

But at the age of 12, it was a good effort!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I wanted a 2001 moonbus, so the local hobbyshop gave me the wholesalers address in a different city. I even went to the post office and got a mail order and included it. Many months later I got it back with the terse response 'this kit is no longer made'.

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,050 Posts
Why yeah, I wrote 'em a letter - no, two - no, three letters. Yeah, three letters...'at's the ticket. Told 'em they should make a really big Frankenstein, 18, 19, maybe 20 inches high! 'At's right...told 'em it oughtta have moving arms, too. And a rock onna chain. Told 'em to throw in a bottle of paint - no, two - no, FOUR bottles. Yeah, four bottles...'at's the ticket.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,370 Posts
I was one who wrote requesting a Jupiter 2, but it was after Monogram had control of the Aurora molds. I got a polite explanation of how it would never sell.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I wrote them about the Gold Knight, two years after it ceased production. They said they had none in stock with no plans of reissue in the near future. I was bummed. Sure was nice of them to reply though...Otto

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I ordered a back issue of Famous Monsters of Filmland once (The Aurora Monster Building Contest Issue). I put two quarters in the envelope to pay for it. Received a letter about six weeks later saying that they were sorry but the issue was completely out of print. Included in the envelope were my two quarters.:)

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I was another one, who wrote Aurora a letter, asking them to make a Jupiter 2 kit. They sent it back, with a handwritten note on it, telling me to check my local hobby shop. This was circa 1968, when I would have been 9 yrs. old.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yes, I wrote Aurora one letter ... with two requests. I would have been maybe 12-years-old at the time.
One model request was for an Abominable Snowman. The other request was for an Invisible Man. Since I am (and was even then) fairly adept at art, I included a drawing of what the model might look like.
The former drawing was inspired by, as best as I can recall, an abominable snowman that appeared in a Classics Illustrated comic book. The latter drawing also came from the same source, and didn't look that dissimilar to what has, in fact, come out in vinyl(?), in the pose where the head bandage is just at the beginning of being taken off.

I never got a reply.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zorro - I sent to "The Captain Company" as well for a replacement of issue 32. They still had them when I put my order in (mid to late '60s?) . I then lost THAT copy in a flood in 1972. It was replaced a THIRD time in the early 90s for the princely sum of $30.00. I still have that copy, and was lucky enough to get it signed by Forry at the Famous Monsters convention in Crystal City, VA.

Toyroy - wow, that was some wait at the hobby shop - around 30 years!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
ChrisW said:
Zorro - I sent to "The Captain Company" as well for a replacement of issue 32. They still had them when I put my order in (mid to late '60s?) . I then lost THAT copy in a flood in 1972. It was replaced a THIRD time in the early 90s for the princely sum of $30.00. I still have that copy, and was lucky enough to get it signed by Forry at the Famous Monsters convention in Crystal City, VA.
Yep. Got the same issue off eBay a few years back for about the same price. Of course, it ain't signed by Forry. Cool, Chris!

·
Curmudgeon
6,638 Posts
ChrisW said:
Off-topic, but I gotta brag. In 1976 I sent a letter to Famous Monsters of Filmland requesting clarification on something mentioned in their article on Dino DeLaurentiis' King Kong in Issue 132 (which I also still have). Some time later I received a hand-written response; they had forwarded my letter to an authority on the subject who, at that time, was still trying to make a name for himself in the film industry--Rick Baker. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BTW, Forry's a great guy. I've run into him several times at various conventions and/or special film screenings in the Los Angeles area, and he's not only very down-to-earth but always willing to talk your ears off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I Wrote to Aurora around late '74, Early '75 asking for repops of the Lost in Space kits and the J-2. Got a nice letter telling me they were "Looking into it" and included their latest catalog featuring the reissues of the Spindrift, Seaview,Flying Sub and 2001 Orion.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Yep, I wrote to 'em (hey, who of us DIDN'T!:p ), must have been late '74 looking for the Invaders UFO, Flying Sub & the Spindrift. Not only did I get a reply (telling me to keep my eyes peeled at the toy store), but the gentleman who replied also sent me 3 of the paperback Land Of The Giants novelizations.

Y'know what's funny? The letter is long gone, as is Aurora, don't even remember the man's name anymore, the kits were bought, built and blown up/broken when I got too old for that "model buildin' kid stuff"...but I STILL have those books.

I've been known to re-read them on occassion (surprisingly entertaining), but generally I keep them stored away with some of the other treasures from my youth...and memories of a bygone era.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Believe it or not, I never wrote Aurora a letter, but it's amazing to read these stories that show that Aurora was willing to take the time to respond to these requests.

Dr. G.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I didnt write them, but since thier operation was only two towns away , my father drove me there, since I was missing a part for my LIS robot..we only went there for the missing part, and didnt bring the kit..They had a shipping dept, and a clerk went in the back, and gave my father another sealed kit..All I remember was the guy giving it to my father who handed it to me, and said "OK??..now thank the man, and lets get outta here"..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts