Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
7,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't, for one I don't watch the channel...

I was just curious as to how many actually seen it. If you did see it, was it just by chance that you were watching that particular channel at that particular time? Or were you watching that channel in order to catch the comercial.

It was DIY right?

Please don't think I'm second guessing anyone, but do you know how may times my 5 yr old has said to me "Dad can we go buy the new ______ toy?"

I suppose if I were tyring to sell toys, collectable or not, I'd put the comercials on the popular cable channels.

Disney, Cartoon network, Nick, ect... The ones the kids are watching all day long....

A company I worked for advertised on a particular radio station and all they got was resume's. We figured that was because the ads went out during the work day, and the only people that heard it was those who didn't have a job to go to... :lol:

Just my observation,... I hope it did good for them.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I agree with you Kenny, I dont get DIY and Im in one of the top 5 largest population areas!
I was also thinking the Speed Channel ESPN 2 or SPIKE TV would make good candidates too, lots of gearheads watch these.
Does DIY have any automotive bases shows? Maybe they are just testing the waters with DIY?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've seen it online, but yet to see it in the Mich. area. I've been scanning the kids channels now and then. The only dislike is they mention White Lightnings.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have not seen it on TV, only at the JL website.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hehe. This also like deja vu for me again. We had a similar thread on the XterraOwnersClub board when people were waiting to see the latest Nissan Xterra commercial which was basically centered around the XOC.com website. Some of you may have seen it, particularly during sports broadcasts. Unfortunately, a picture of my truck was not one of those chosen for the commercial. The XOC webiste was started by an individual and it has no direct affiliation with Nissan, so the fact it was used was pretty cool.

Our cable system doesn't get DIY, so I guess I'm SOL on the JL commercial.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
I don't get the DIY channnel either. It seems to me that Discovery or History channels would be the best place to reach the car people. I watch those channels more than any of the others. My kids tend to watch mostly Nick or Cartoon Network.

·
Registered
300 Posts
While shopping in a Walmart or Target, look around to see who is buying the toys. I would say besides all the adult men who collect, 80 percent of the toy buying public is women. What do women mostly watch, TV that has to do with the home or raising a family. While mon is watching DIY network, who also is watching the show, the kids. So, from Johnny Lightning point of view, they have picked the best spot to place the ads.
Mon takes the kids to do some shopping and the boys and girls want to go to the toy section and what do they see, Johnny Lightning. The kids want the cars, mom has seen the commercial, bingo , the ad has worked.
The point is that mom buys the pegs warmers, Target see that the cars are selling, orders more, the adult collect has more cars to pick at, everybody wins!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I've seen it at the LF dinner and web site only,our cable company dosen't have DIY we have Home and Garden (HGTV).
:wave:

·
7,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Voxxer said:
While shopping in a Walmart or Target, look around to see who is buying the toys. I would say besides all the adult men who collect, 80 percent of the toy buying public is women. What do women mostly watch, TV that has to do with the home or raising a family. While mon is watching DIY network, who also is watching the show, the kids. So, from Johnny Lightning point of view, they have picked the best spot to place the ads.
Mon takes the kids to do some shopping and the boys and girls want to go to the toy section and what do they see, Johnny Lightning. The kids want the cars, mom has seen the commercial, bingo , the ad has worked.
The point is that mom buys the pegs warmers, Target see that the cars are selling, orders more, the adult collect has more cars to pick at, everybody wins!!!!!!!

Your way off here Jon, Moms don't buy the toys they see in tv comercials. They buy the toys the kids see and ask for. I have a 6yr old.
The kid knows what toys hare being handed out at BK and McD"s because of the commercial's. He'll tell us, I want McDonalds dad, I want the new "Brother Bear" toys they have.

Are Yu-gi-oh Cards/games/gear hot because mom seen a comercial because of trading places? Think again...

I'm not the person writing checks at pm, they put it on a tv channel that neither collectors nor kids watch. What was the motiviation? who knows. Lets be honest, Collectors don't need a commercial... We know plastic wheels are for play and rubber is for display. We know "Thats somptin Special..." So what could PM have been thinking when it came to DIY?

Show me a little boy that don't sing the theme jingle for brand x.... Show me a little girl who don't want to be barbie...

They're kids, they want whats put in front of them.

Its why lower shelves in toy stores are stocked with impulse items. And Candy is in every check out at the grocery. Kids want whats in front of them.

Come to think of it, Can you honestly say that a Mother, will be watching DIY today, and decided to go to Lowes, or Home depot {the sponsors of most of the shows on diy} to buy the things they need to stencil an ivy design on the kitchen cabenits, and think, oh yeah "JOHNNY LIGHTNINGS THATS SOMPTIN SPECIAL"...and if they did, they'd have to go else where to buy them...

Personally I would have put the ad on Cartoon network and disney, between 5 and 8 pm at night. Then lets have this discussion again and see what kinda feed back OUR kids are giving us.

BTW This thread is based on the opinion of ONE man ME. and was ment solely to offer a little feedback to the lurking executives at PM. I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last time. But I would't advertise vegie burgers on a BEEF Network... it just don't fit and would appear to be a waste of money.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello All:

From J/L point of view, the " TV Spots ", worked, we are talking about them. Either good or bad, the name of "Johnny Lightning" has been put in front of the public. From an advertising stand point, the basic point of the ad has worked. Their is no way advertising will work for 100% of the people 100% of the time.

The ad could have happened two different ways.

#1 - J/L said that we want the ad to be seen at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday night during this show just before the next show starts. Big Bucks!!!!!
You are targeting a specific demographic group.
#2 Which is less money, J/L said we want the ad to be aired on the weekend, any time available, in these cable network areas. That means the network has the right to place the ad anywhere it wants as long as it is on the weekend. The ad is cheaper, however, the same ad might be seen by a new demographic group that might not even know that J/L is in the market place. The might not buy the product tomorrow, however, the namebrand has been put into the consumers mind.

Would you rather buy a product that has a cool spot, or one that is seen every 15 minutes. From a basic business formula, a company should spend from 1.5 to 2.00 percent of the gross income for adversting. Since J/L is a smaller company the Coke the have less $ to spend. I give the crew at J/L the best of luck with this campaign.

Business is just a big game of risk, some people are willing to take that risk. Just my opinion.

·
7,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WEll voxer, not to belittle anyone but.. When did you become the spokesperson for PM?

You told me your self that it too you and pm 6 monts to hash out Lisence agreements to make Tshirts, and now your speaking like you sit to the right hand of Tom Lowe in every board meeting.

Not to be argumentitive, but c'mon, What do you really know about how well the comercials worked? I have no earthly idea, and neither do you... its only your opinion... as it i only my opinion.

·
Registered
127 Posts
DIY Kicks butt

I wish I had it, but I'd have to pay another 25$ a month to get it. It's the only channel out of the 100 more they give ya, that I would want.
We had it for a week for free when we first hooked up the dish, as a preview feature. Their website has alot of info on their shows and specific episodes.
They do alot of DIY stuff, from car building/midifying, to home improvement to hobbies (trains, rc's etc)

-r

R

·
0 Posts
Ummmm, I think we are talking about it because we saw it at the Fest Dinner and because PM put it up on the JL website. I don't see anywhere that one person saw it on DIY channel..... so I guess it DIDN'T work

IMHO

Rob

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Dreaming...

Hello,
DYI is on at our house almost everyday (along with HGTV as my wife is a junkie) and I have not EVER seen the JL ads. Infact the only time I have ever seen it is at the 2004 Fest Q&A. Their venues are quite limited like very late at night (this info I got directly from Tom Lowe at the head table when I asked that question) indeed and frankly I don't think will have much impact at all.
The product is geared towards adults (men imparticular) and if you wish to sell to that market, you need to advertise to that (national) market and what that market watches.
And that your competion for those slots is filled to seam breaking compacity with ads from VERY big agencies (like P&G, Bates, Leo Burnett, Sattchi) who spend millions upon millions for 30 second slots to sell Miller Beer, McDonalds, Tide detergent, Sears, Toyota and Dominos Pizza, that RC2 can possibly think they can slot in (at anytime of the day or night) is niave thinking at best.
And for them to attempt a Saturday morning slot (aimed at kids because adults are still asleep), you will be up against pretty much just as tough competition (from other advertsiers like Mattel who spends millions as well).

RC2 is simply out of that league.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts