Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Truckin' Rel 1 will have a couple of new castings in it. The long awaited Scout II(new JL casting) and a 59 Ford. So I was wondering if the Ford is a new cast or a old RC2 cast?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yes, there was an old RC2 casting. I only remember one version being issued, in the Mint Editions line, a dark green color with high 4X4 type wheels. It was pretty sharp, though I hope the reissue has more normal wheels.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
zed300 said:
Yes, there was an old RC2 casting. I only remember one version being issued, in the Mint Editions line, a dark green color with high 4X4 type wheels. It was pretty sharp, though I hope the reissue has more normal wheels.
Thank's Zed300 :thumbsup: , I just did a search and couldn't find one. So it looks like a missed it :(. I'm really happy with the recast 50 Chevy pick-up so my hopes are HIGH for this one :thumbsup: .

If I find a pic I'll post it.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man that truck looks BIG! I'm hoping it's just those tires(which look pretty cool :thumbsup: ) but it says 1/56? Is this casting bigger then the Chevy? or same scale?

·
0 Posts
zed300 said:
Looks black in the picture, but I could have sworn mine was green (I haven't had it out in years). Maybe they did make more than one version.
The '59 F-250 4x4 was released in black, dark green, silver blue, a black New Mexico state police version, a white electric company bucket truck, and I think even one in a NASCAR version with McDonald's red and yellow paint. There may other versions too.

It's a nice casting with opening hood and tailgate. Here's my green one. Sorry for the foggy snaps.

Also RC did a '65 F-100 in various colours. It has an opening hood and working tailgate too. Both of these Ford-tough trucks would make cool JLs.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great pic's 1A62 :thumbsup: !!!!!! With a reworked base and maybe the front plastic, that Ford will make a must have JL.

·
Registered
704 Posts
There was a green one, a black one, and a red one with McDonalds racing 'stuff' on it that looked real good when cleaned off.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Didn't the 59 Ford Pickup have a different shaped back window, with a slight wraparound curved glass? This back window looks like a 58 Ford Pickup, IMO. Or maybe I'm just too tired today and can't see straight. :freak:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have a yellow one that has a fire truck body on it. Has St Charles Fire Dept on the door and Squad 150 on the back of the rear fender.

·
Registered
981 Posts
That IS a big version of the truck . One of the e-bay sellers says it is a 1/56 and the other one says it is a 1/43 scale, which seems more believable.

If that's the case , I would think the 08 release being 1/64 , would be a NEW CASTING .. maybe?

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
AQUA XK8 said:
Didn't the 59 Ford Pickup have a different shaped back window, with a slight wraparound curved glass? This back window looks like a 58 Ford Pickup, IMO. Or maybe I'm just too tired today and can't see straight. :freak:
Wow, that's something only a real Ford truck freak could answer!
I've got an exellent automotive library, but precious little on trucks -
one book, it's at work, I'll let you know tomorrow.

IMO, JL kinda misses the boat with truck casting. I guess there are a few,
but I bet any more they would make would sell like mad.
Looking foward to this one for sure!!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
AQUA XK8 said:
That's a base version rear window, I think...didn't most trucks back then have small rear window base versions and deluxe models with larger or wraparound glass?

·
0 Posts
78REDBIRD said:
I have a yellow one that has a fire truck body on it. Has St Charles Fire Dept on the door and Squad 150 on the back of the rear fender.
I forgot about that one. :)

The scale wheelbase is ~1 15/16". Presuming a 118" wheelbase for 1:1, the scale works out to about 1/61.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
The black one is a gem in my collection. :) I also have a '65 which is a very nice-looking pickup. Seeing that LC owns these castings, maybe they can "re-issue" them like they did with the '50 Chevy. That would be fine by me! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
One way to distinguish JL castings vs. RC castings is that JLs are all metal, whereas the RCs have plastic grilles and bumpers.

I prefer the all metal JLs, which look less toylike to me.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Lummox said:
There's a '65 Ford? Or do you mean the Chev.?
I believe Mark was referring to a Ford, because I have it too. I have the red 65 Ford pickup that they made. It had an opening hood and drop down tailgate too. Not a bad diecast, but it needs major chassis detail work.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Thanks Dave ~ Anyone have a pic of the '65 Ford p.u.?

BluntFronts - I am of the same opinion about the chrome plastic parts.
Allthough sometimes you can make a dramatic change for the better with a black "wash" on the grills on these cars.
It makes having these plastic parts not such a bad thing if you care to or want to do it.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
The trucks of the 50s did come with both small windows and larger wraparound glass.

I've always liked both the 59 and the 65 Ford p/u's from RC2.

The epay scale descrepency is easily explained.;
This IS a large truck, having seen a couple of 1:1 '59 F-250s, I'd say it very close to true 1:64 scale.
But it's a big casting.
If LC/RC2 retools the chassis as they did with the '50 Chevy, it'll be a nice addition:thumbsup:

On a related note the 65 F100 is a nice casting as well, again actually close to true 1:64 scale (based on comparison to the 65 F100 my brother used to own).

The base would need to be redone, it sits pretty low (okay really low), but it'd also be welcomed by me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts