Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Toro 824 snow blower, model 38540, with a Tecumseh engine. The blower was surging bad so I rebuilt the carburetor. In doing so I soaked it overnight before the rebuild.

Now, after the fact, I read the Tecumseh recommends that you do not soak their non adjustable emission carburetors and mine is this type of carburetor. So my question is: will soaking ruin the carburetor and what are the ramifications of my having done so?

I read extensively prior to doing the rebuild and did not see the Tecumseh recommendation until after the fact. I am surprised that it is not mentioned in so many threads here and on other forums. :(

·
Registered
649 Posts
As long as you removed all the plastic and rubber parts from the carburetor you will be fine. Purchase a rebuild kit and your good to go.

·
Banned
44 Posts
What he said . . .

As long as you removed all the plastic and rubber parts from the carburetor you will be fine. Purchase a rebuild kit and your good to go.
Love the Toro brand. Our family has owned Toro since 1959. To be honest, my Dad bought a Honda a couple of years ago. It was like watching an end of an era. However, his snow blower is still a Toro (a Christmas present from the kids ten years ago). Built like a brick s--t house.

I recently rebult my lawnmower carb. The rebuld kits are sweet things. Its not rocket science like it use to be. Worth every penny. With the kit, I was back to mowing the lawn and done all before dinner. A couple of things. First, clear your board. Dedicate your time to just rebulding the carb. Just one distraction can be a real killer. Secondly, you have to trust the instructions. You may be asked to do a couple of things that are counter intuitive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yeah gimijimi really said it, make sure your work area is clean when rebuilding a carb. I love getting a carb together spotless. Its like of like an art form if you think about it lol.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I plan to put everything back together tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.

I too like this snow blower, but it nothing like my old 1984 Toro 724. That machine was a beast and is still running. I gave it to a charity when I got rid of it and the family that got it still uses it. I been over to their place to make some repairs and they still thank me to no end for giving them the blower. I always leave in a good mood, and my life filling full. A very nice family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts