Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got these 2 cars and paid about $40 for them both. Combined. Did I over pay and get carried away with myself?
The nomad is the Alive 55 an the rocket bye baby is fresh from the promo Bag from shell. I think I may have gotten caught up in the moment. Haven't paid that much for a car or even 2 together yet.

Thanks for your input and honesty.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love em and didn't buy them as a retirement fund or to flip or anything like that. I don't have either casting and wanted to try to get some half decent ones. I have the classic nomad but not the cost cutting Mattel cheapo enamel casting so I went for it. Just still trying to home my buying skills by asking for this feedback. I obviously know when I pick em up sub $10 that I stole em but I haven't yet found a resource that describes value depreciation bases on chips and how to value different conditions. I have a book ordered and coming but as far as I'm concerned every one of the price guides are useless when I can buy a pretty much mint gold woodie for under $10 to my door and there isn't a chip or scratch on te thing. When I can buy a car listed at $170 for the price of a 'Donald's meal then the price guides are either Bs or I have some eBay skills and luck.
$9.99 for. Lt blue lists at $160 mint loose. While not mint even if you reduce it by 75 percent for a chip it should still be a $30-40 car right?

I mean for instance this Hiway robber I paid

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I like the psychology of it. If you can always buy one of those cars for a dollar, you start to think it's worth a dollar. So as soon as you see it for sale at two dollars, you'll think it's not worth that much. The price you've paid is perfectly normal where I live so I've been conditioned to believe "yup, that's what you pay for that sort of thing" until someone comes along and says you shouldn't pay mo than a dollar for this. Well...we all would rather not be ripped off but sometimes it's just in the mind.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
I am with you Messer. I have some things I spent a pretty high price for myself. My two biggest were both Zylmex. One was a mint 77 Ford Country Squires that I paid $45 for and another was a Pinto Cruising Van that coast me $20, several General Lees, an Ecto 1A, and several others. It all comes down to your passion for that car.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's pretty much the way it is. I mean I bought 2 near mint aqua deoras that weren't listed as redlines for $3 with free shipping. Which obviously is a steal so I am so used to getting them super cheap I question when I pay more than $10-15 for one. Lol

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really is psychological too. Knowing you got a car you love for considerably less than it is worth makes it much more special in my mind where as finding out you overpaid kinda marrs the memory of the car. I haven't to my knowledge done that yet but I know how it would be. I've been wrestling with wanting to buy one still carded so I need to did the right at an right price but don't know if tht is worth it to me. I think I would prefer actually just a mint fresh from blister one do I could display it properly and fondle it. Lol. I'm still new so I'm not ready to pull that high price trigge yet

·
Banned
565 Posts
It really is psychological too. Knowing you got a car you love for considerably less than it is worth makes it much more special in my mind where as finding out you overpaid kinda marrs the memory of the car. I haven't to my knowledge done that yet but I know how it would be. I've been wrestling with wanting to buy one still carded so I need to did the right at an right price but don't know if tht is worth it to me. I think I would prefer actually just a mint fresh from blister one do I could display it properly and fondle it. Lol. I'm still new so I'm not ready to pull that high price trigge yet
Eric are you new at fondling or collecting cars? :lol:

I wouldn't say you over paid, it is all what one person wants to pay for something and how bad they want it. If they want it bad then they will pay a little more for it. So technically that is a question people have been asking and really can not be answer to a point as it is all in how bad you want it. jmho

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's very true. Worth is all in what someone I willing to pay so I'm certainly not asking "how much is my car worth" type of questions. I guess more trying to validate that I'm doing a decent job of getting the vinyl tags cars I like for a fair price and not rippin myself off by getting caught up in a moment of liking something. Not lookin to sell them just validate tht I'm on the right track to bargain buying decent redline cars for m collection. Thanks for the help and input guys.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
When I can buy a car listed at $170 for the price of a 'Donald's meal then the price guides are either Bs or I have some eBay skills and luck.
A price guide is exactly that. I'd think, though, that your finds fall more into the realm of skills and/or luck. The fresh-from-the-bag Rocket Bye Baby would have been worth $40 to me...and, at that price, it came with a free Alive 55.

You didn't get carried away. Carried away is more like paying eBay prices for a current Mystery Machine or Red Bird.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Price guides are handy for listing/showing variations but are quickly outdated as the market/demand changes. For values best indication of current worth of a particular model (if it can be found) is eBay or hobby shows. I've seen where one model goes for big $$ one week but the next week nobody wants it and/or can be picked up on the cheap. Just depends on timing and who else is looking/bidding (and how bad they want it) at that time...

I've paid good money for some of my models and others I pass on due to high prices/not as desirable to me. If it's worth it to you and price seems fair for condition go right ahead and buy!

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
My own opinion is that the redline market is crazy inflated, and may always be. But in the realm of inflated and partially beat up classics, I guess you did okay. When you begin to pay a lot of money for cars, you should really like those cars, a lot. And not just because it's "rare", for that's a fool's game. If you dwell on the price you paid, you probably don't like it enough. But it always makes you step back and wonder if you paid too much when you just spent more than you ever have before, that's natural. And that's probably what you're going through.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I think I would prefer actually just a mint fresh from blister one do I could display it properly and fondle it. Lol.
Eric, tell us more about you fondling your Cars..... How does one fondle a Car and what should one expect if they fondle a Car if they choose to fondle a Car ???? Does fondling a Car bring in more value to a Car ???? or does it take value away from a Car that has been fondled ??? Hmmmm :rolleyes: Now that brings a whole new meaning to value in each Car that has been fondled.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Eric, tell us more about you fondling your Cars..... How does one fondle a Car and what should one expect if they fondle a Car if they choose to fondle a Car ???? Does fondling a Car bring in more value to a Car ???? or does it take value away from a Car that has been fondled ??? Hmmmm :rolleyes: Now that brings a whole new meaning to value in each Car that has been fondled.
Umm I think that's an illegal activity..:freak:

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
"Nothing wrong with fondling your die cast - with clean hands of course, and so long as you don't leave prints on the glass or chrome. Hand polishing is an even more polite form of fondling. Not only does it make the die cast feel cared for, but allows the fondlee to continue getting they're groove on.

Groping your die cast however not only decreases the value, but it's just not what a gentleman does. Unless the die cast is calling out to be groped."

This comes direct from the book Men Are From Uranus, Die Cast Is From Venus, chapter three, page thirty-three.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
"Nothing wrong with fondling your die cast - with clean hands of course, and so long as you don't leave prints on the glass or chrome. Hand polishing is an even more polite form of fondling. Not only does it make the die cast feel cared for, but allows the fondlee to continue getting they're groove on.

Groping your die cast however not only decreases the value, but it's just not what a gentleman does. Unless the die cast is calling out to be groped."

This comes direct from the book Men Are From Uranus, Die Cast Is From Venus, chapter three, page thirty-three.
paragraph 2A

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you guys have been spot on with everything. Just never paid that much for a non perfect car and while it is nowhere near what many go for or what I may end up paying for other cars as there are some out there I'm finding that I'm debating buying. I am under no influence that these are rare by any means rare would be an ed shaver amx, and there will always bea better one that someone buys cheaper. I've traded a $1 super treasure hunt fora decent magenta bye focal that many have paid a lot for. I would have gladly paid $50 for that car as its always been a favorite. I've been trying to buy the cars I like or if I see one that is just a steal noone could walk away from Ill buy it even if I already have it. Since I'm new to it I'm getting your feedback on the whole culture, costs etc. just trying to stay grounded with them I guess. It's very easy to get carried away. It all started with an RAOK deora from dc2chump. Now I'm down with the sickness. (queue Disturbd soundtrack).

·
Banned
565 Posts

I think for one thought that was from the Manly Man's Manual not the book Men are from Uranus, Die Cast is from Venus. And would it just be wrong if a chick were to fondle their cars in their trunk? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Eric, I think ya done good and I like that you are asking a lot of questions. Oh, and I don't think you paid to much. You do like both of them and that counts more than anything else. When I started back buying redlines I asked a lot of questions too and it helped. I also studied the subject along the way. I didn't start out trying to build a McLaren rainbow, it just happened that way and you know what, I have no idea how much I have in it. The only thing that I knew I wanted was the cars from my poster that hangs in the die-cast room.

I knew that these would cost a lot more that normal. The Blue Cord was $127.55, the yellow Cockney Cab $45.00, and the Apple Green Evil Weevil $61.00 and you know that doesn't matter. I like them. Like you I too have the fever and and now I want one of each redline that they produced from '68-'77! That book will help as it will show you what mint would look like and then you can judge from there what you think the one your looking at would be worth. And once again, Ya done good!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts