Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This Skokie, Illinois base distribution company issued "Tiny Mites" branded diecast using Summer made castings in 1975. They also issued other brands series using 'TW' and Yat Ming made castings during this same time period.

In 1976, they issued the King Star made Mercedes Benz Fire Chief and Medic cars in their "Danger: Explosives" branded blister cards. This series also included some Summer made castings and a Mandarin (?) made Volkwagen Van casting. On the side of the van a 'Diamond Toymakers' logo can be found. Some of the blister cards for this series are mistakenly printed as 'Diamond Toymarkers'.

Sourced references -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
For nearly 20 years my own guess work, I believed Summer started manufacturing between 1976-1978.
The Master list on this site says they started manufacturing in 1979.
So how is it they were making cars for this distributor (Diamond Toymakers) in 1975 & 1976.??

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Typos and mis-information. :cheers2:

Actually that is a good question and is one of the reasons I am cross referencing information and putting it all in one place. Remember - I am only consolidating what information is already provided.

If you are going by the dates on the master list currently shown - note that it is currently always "referenced" as only a small diecast listing. What this means is that any history before a company made their first small diecasts was (and still is) for the most part - ignored. And if they stopped making small scale diecasts, but still made large scale that information is not included either.

Here at HobbyTalk, I am updating with new dates, including all scales and other types of diecast for our other forum sections - planes, tractors, military, motorbikes, etc and non diecast type vehicles - tin type, pressed steel, wood, resin etc. So eventually the master list will be more accurate to all scales and types of diecast (model) cars.

But, if you read the posted Summer history you will see it started out as a different (but similiarly named company) sometime in the 1970s that also made appliances. The details are not there per say, but I would venture that the original name was shortened to Summer in 1979. Sometimes ownership changes, mergers and buyouts are a factor, too. But no details are noted - that I have been able to find.

So yes, Summer was founded in 1979, but the company that was Summer before they shortened their name may have also made diecasts. Maybe also under the Summer (brand) name or just for other marketers/distributors - specifics are not that clear.

Like with many other companies Summer may have only been the distribution named arm for Summer Metal Products. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Forgot to also ask about your own references. What information do you have for the 1976 to 1978 date range for manufacturering to begin?

Is that just accounting for design and tool development?

:lurk5:

And if you follow the brand association thread over to King Star the dates are still out of sync with their notation to 1980s Hot Wheels card designs, as Mattel had stop using that design in the early '70s.

·
Administrator
25,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was also able to find a new reference web page to Summer that adds to the established timeline and casting prefix designations of 'SM' and 'S' used. Along with the leaping deer in front of 3 trees logo used as well. :cheers2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts