Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After that Yamato build I sort of find myself stuck in anime/battlecruiser mode, so I dug out a donor hull from my stash, namely this WWII German U-Boat:



...so I can convert it into this really cool looking Yamato-style Destroyer (at least that's what I think it looks like):



My progress so far:









I found that image online a few years back and was very impressed with the way the aesthetic of Yamato type vessels is retained in the lines and overall shape, while still being it's very own distinct and unique design. It looks like it would fit right in! (Not claiming any rights or privileges to the image). The shapes seemed simple enough that I figured it wouldn't be super hard to cobble together something that looks very similar without having to resort to molding pieces or venture into vacuum-forming (which I would like to try one day, though). And I knew I had enough leftover greeblies and what-not in my spares box to add a bunch of interesting detail. The toughest part so far has been re-shaping the bow. I've used quite a few large chunks of .040" sheet to rough out the general shape of the bow, and will fill in with wave putty to sand down to final contours. There will be considerably more white plastic going onto her hull before any putty touches it, however.

I'm not going for an exact re-production of the ship in the image, but I think I can hammer out something that looks a lot like it...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
135 Posts
"I'm not going for an exact re-production of the ship in the image, but I think I can hammer out something that looks a lot like it..."

You pretty much nailed it without getting bogged down by reproducing an exact replica. I'm really looking forward to this build. NICE WORK!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for all the comments everyone! Glad to see this one is going over so well. I will endeavour to keep things updated frequently as possible.

More progress on the upper structure, got the "smokestack' looking thingie roughed out, and started on the bridge tower, using the lower half of my old 1/700 Yamato bridge tower as the donor for the bulk of the shape. Already started modifying the tower and adding bits:






 

·
Starship Class
Joined
·
11,623 Posts
Looks like another great build :thumbsup: Nice shapes so far. Good that you're not going for an exact replica since that will leave you some room for adding new features.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Perfesser!

Latest progress, detail on the upper decks. The main turrets are from the old Lindberg 1/350 Tirpitz motorized kit, and the AA turret from my 1/700 Yamato donor. I think I will have to venture into casting parts after all, I need to replicate that AA turret for a total of eight...


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the major drawbacks to doing this kind of conversion is the amount of sanding that has to be done to blend everything together. But, I asked for it, so I got it... :freak:
I think the worst of it is over, though...

Progress this week includes chopping off the very bottom compartments of the hull and filling in with putty, and sanding to shape; getting the bow finally where I want it to be after having to use both Tamiya polyester putty and Wave to re-shape it, and gluing on some more detail scavenged from my old 1/700 Yamato donor:







These end caps on the (what I assume are) hangars were not easy to make! But with some help from good ol' Wave putty:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back at it again on this craziness. Having bitten off far more than I can chew, I've had very slow progress on the hull re-shape, but I think I'm about 95% done with it, so just a couple more spots to touch up, and then maybe it'll be time for the first coat of primer to see how things are looking.

LOTS of Wave putty went into the bow and after much sanding and shaping, I've finally got it looking decent:



The stern where it meets the engine nozzle got more Wave putty:



...and more Wave on the two lower blisters (those were motor launches from the old 1/350 Tirpitz kit by Lindberg):



Filled in the limber holes along each side of the hull (that took forever!):



I'm still working on the upper structure, and of course, went back and changed a couple of things, but overall I think it's starting to really look like the image:


 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I knew one of the biggest challenges on this build would be the pod hanging underneath the ship. Took about three evenings to work this thing up to it's current shape, with only a couple of tiny details to add I'm real happy with what I got for my efforts:





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got snowed in today, so I spent most of it fiddling with the upper and lower fins/stabilizers/antenna masts, dressing up the parts with some cut-and-paste bits out of my spares box:

Upper fin 2.0:


Lower fin:


Still a long way to go, but not too bad so far me thinks:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Boy trying to find time to work on this thing is exceedingly difficult these days, so I'm surprised I have this little bit to update with. Got the port and starboard AA pedestals built from tube and sheet plastic with Wave to form the lower conical part:





 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks daytime dave!

Here's a bit of a preview of what the finished turrets will look like I hope. I need to cast copies of these two examples I salvaged from the old 1/700 Yamato kit. The barrels are so small I hope I can get good molds from these, otherwise I have to manufacture six more of these by hand... ugh.


 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top