Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! This thread will be the saga of a middle aged man attempting to become an HO slotcar modifier! LOL Me, along with my clumsy fingers are about to delve into the world of microscopic enhancement. Wish me luck!

Project 1 Replace stock Yenko grills with after market chrome grills from RRR. I know it's a simple task but it's a start!

It came out well and I think it's a great improvement.

Next projects will be doing some white lettered tires and putting racing stripes on my Road Runners. Hopefully over the weekend. My first attempt at white letters didn't fair well. My daughter says I need one of those magnifying glass stands. Maybe a microscope!

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Harbor freight sells a nice one for a decent price. It is lit by a florescent light and everything! It works pretty good, but the clumsy fingers are magnified as well, as I have found out! :lol: It takes some getting used to!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Glad to see yer jumping in the game with the rest of us slot-tards! Dont sweat the small stuff and dont sweat the big stuff, just hack-n-chop yer way to the other side like the rest of us.

Whats the worst that could happen?

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Don't get down on yourself as you start this adventure. I'm sure everyone who's preceded you has a list of horror stories they experienced as they developed their skills over time and trial and error. Just remember, you can start over in most cases. Plus you have this resource at you disposal anytime you run into a problem that you think is insurmountable. Just have fun and remember, PIX are required, as we are a visual bunch on this board. :dude: rr

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to be chronicling my exploits here. Of course I'll have pictures!

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I am just teasing DS!! My unique way of customizing does tend to leave a trail of CARnage :freak: behind me!!! :tongue: As far as the regular customizing genre goes, my score card does look a lot better.. :) Don't be nervous. With in a short time you'll be laying down paint jobs that rival the best of us. There are numerous trick, hints, and ideas floating around here, and our buddies in die cast always have something up there sleeve to help in the inspiration department too. Hobby Talk is a vast wealth of knowledge that I'm proud to say I'm a part of. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Part Time Painter/Racer
8,719 Posts
Glad to see you fixed the grill screwup DS :thumbsup::thumbsup: Somebody on that design team should have been fired. Instead of delving, just go ahead and jump in, make a big splash. We all screwup, at least I do, just part of the process. Keep those pics coming...RM

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Those grill jobs are a great improvement on what is a very nice Camaro body...

Thanks guys! Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to be chronicling my exploits here. Of course I'll have pictures!
Pictures............Whooooooooooooopie!!!!!!!! Now you are talking. :)

Bob...Welcome to Alices' Restaraunt! You can make any slot car you want at Alices' Restaraunt...zilla

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTW, those Yenkos have brand new SRT's and silicones all the way around. Bud sent me a few front sillies to try because the Viper I bought way back wouldn't fit my chassis and I told him I wouldn't bother sending it back. I tried the fronts on a used chassis and they seem to make a difference. I'll probably buy some more.

I got some clear coat at town yesterday! I'll be working on the Road Runners this weekend! The stripes I got had a few scratches on them even though they were well packed. The scratches are only on one end of a couple of them so I think I can use the good sides. I'm gonna stripe the Green Shelby too, maybe.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Stripes!

Howdy! Well I had some good luck and some bad luck today. For the bad, I ruined two glasses, smudged the stripe on the back of the Yellow RR and put too much clear on my green Shelby! Bummer. For the good, my Road Runners came out pretty nice, minus the one glass. I ruined the glass putting oops! on the mounting posts to help loosen the glue to remove them. The Shelby really looked good with stripes on the hood and rockers (Dark Green w/White) but then I must have gone crazy with the clear!

All in all it was a good day for my initial attempts. Now I got the bug!

Top Heavy Shelby!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dave! I put the glass from the yellow one on the red so now I have two pretty good cars. I also was able to clean up the rear of the yellow one a little. I'm thinking of soaking the Shelby and starting over maybe but I'll have to get more decals and the last soaking I tried didn't come out very well.

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
DUDE! Great start!

NOW RELAX! Do something else and let that green thing dry thoroughly.

Mask yer chrome carefully. Wet sand until the goobs are gone. Wash carefully and remask. Respray. It'll be fine! Really!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts