Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this painted for some time now. Other decal projects provided space on a sheet for the M8A decals. So now I can call this one finished.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great job on the decals and paint - is it a resin kit?
No. Its a Dinky Toy.

Discovery about decal paper:

The first I used on this project (Testors) had been in the cover but out of the plastic for about a year. Though it printed, the color was dull and splotchy no matter what settings I used. Went through 3 sheets. Started to think my printer was screwed. Had another pack that was unopened. It worked very well. Conclusion has to be a deteration of the emulsion if its out of the plastic too long. So just like talent..."Use it or lose it."

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
OK, because you have known me for many years here on HT, and know I am a HUGE fan of your work,,,,I am going to speak freely. You have to redo this with the new decal paper.

That much work to pull a Dinky up to display standard, cannot be left with the discolored decal backgrounds. You know as a Can Am freak, the car is super, but I just can't overcome the background.

You know I love ya, but you just GOT to do therm one more time with fresh paper, the car's to cool not to.

Ward

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Yep, I know what you mean, I have a few of their 917/10 castings that I struggle with for the same reason. I have never had this McLaren casting from them, it looks pretty sharp, of course that is also helped by your longer velocity stacks.

Where did you source the wheels?

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the wheels came off either a Maisto Crovette or an Ambulance of unknown manufacture. They are the only thing of that scale I have in the junk yard.

As far as the decals go. I hadn't "Futured" this set when the pics were shot. They were laid over the other set of bad ones which might have been a bad idea. But to quote a John Fox phrase (Fox can kiss my ...Well) "It is what it is." It looks much better in hand. As I've said many times before a digital camera will bring out EVERY flaw. I hope the Future will blend the decals a bit better. If not....Is there a way of removing decals that have been "Futured" without screwing the paint?

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
As far as the decals go. I hadn't "Futured" this set when the pics were shot. Is there a way of removing decals that have been "Futured" without screwing the paint?
I have heard it's as simple as water, but I don't know the paint you used and how that would be affected by submersion.

The scale and placement of the decals look spot on, and if it's going to ruin the paint I can understand being hesitant. I am sorry that I brought it up as I mean nothing by it. But that is one mean car you built there and the decal issue really pulled my eye away.

I do see the wheels as being on a Corvette I once owned, good looking choice. I really do like the car a ton!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would rather have an honest opinion than blown smoke.

I usually use enamel or lacquer. I really hate acrylic which is why I stayed away from Future for so long.

Another glaring thing I noticed via digital camera that I don't see in hand; is how ragged the top front deck vent is. Believe it or not you don't notice it in hand unless you know it's not been cleaned out. Dang digital cameras. :mad:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Made the newsletter?!?!
Congrats mister!!!

Wasn't a car just like this on the cover of late '60s early '70s Auto World Catalogs?
I have some, I should look.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DANG!!!! Now I wished I'd of cleaned up the decals better. :thumbsup: The Future helped. Haven't made any shots of it since the Future treatment. For some reason my camera's not focusing properly. Going to have to go through the trouble shooting and see if I can find the problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts