Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good, clear, fairly large color pic of the Excelsiors deflector dish....anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
This was assembled from views of the Excelsior. The deflector dish itself remained the same when the model was refit as the Enterprise-B.

·
Starship Class
11,863 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting those!

Does this mean that there is a 1/350th scale kit of the Excelsior coming out soon? :jest:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I highly doubt that, at 467 meters (the updated NCC versions lenght as the NX version was supposed to be longer at one point in time) would put the model at just over 52 and a half inches at 350 scale. Maybe a vac form kit with resin details would be more economical than a styrene kit.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Large vacuform and resin kits of this have already been done...and redone.

A large injection-molded styrene kit in 1/350 would be most welcome...and practical.

·
Registered
760 Posts
ThomasModels said:
This was assembled from views of the Excelsior. The deflector dish itself remained the same when the model was refit as the Enterprise-B.

Did they use the same model that was the Excelsior for the "B"? I never kknew that. Thought it was a total new one. :hat:

·
Starship Class
11,863 Posts
Tholian said:
Did they use the same model that was the Excelsior for the "B"? I never kknew that. Thought it was a total new one. :hat:
IIRC, they converted the original NCC-2000 model into the 1701B and never changed it back. For an episode of Voyager where they had the NCC-2000, they built a new model.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Heh,

More likely it's because the work done to make and unmake the movie quality Excelsior model into and from a movie quality Enterprise-B would be far greater than making a new, smaller TV quality model.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Probably that too. :) But there's been plenty of times when they've gotten model's or pieces of set dressing, or just something where people go the extra mile, just because they'd enjoy doing it. I think that's how the U.S.S. Pasteur came about. Bill George just made it for them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Well, I know of course there is probably a site for it. But how big was the Excelsior for the movie, and was the TV one smaller? Larger?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
During Star Trek 3 ILM was shooting on a larger excelsior (I can't remember the length off hand but I think the FASA dimensions are for the original larger NX version from STIII) and then later changed the size of the ship so as to not appear much larger than the original NX version (the NCC version is shorter). If I remember correctly they changed the size after the appearance or shortly before the appearance of the ent-d which would have made the excelsior around the same length or something to that effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts