Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Trying to understand the factors that lead to a product being desirable. Jotted down a few...

1. Relating to self: Based on past experience, a particular diecast model can be desirable. For example, Oktoberfest 2019 Volkswagen van coz i visited it in 2019
2. Packaging: The card graphics are so superior that the child in you gets attracted to the machine
3. Car built: The car design is superior and then you dont care about the packaging
4. Errors: We know there are 100s of kinds of errors
5. Limited Edition and chase: Owing to scarcity
6. Custom favorites: Few that are highly customizable and hence in demand

Could you please add more? I am looking to understand and grow my collection as DESIRABLE :)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Desirability is within the eye of the beholder. Each collection is unique to the individual gathering them.For example, I have paid 20 dollars for a car that many folks would not offer anything for.Collecting what I like is desirable to me, and in some cases certain models are valuable to others as well. The 1995 Treasure Hunt Camaro is not considered rare by me because there is more than 10K produced including the JC Penny sets that were released. At the same time, its a highly desirable car among many collectors which leads to a supply and demand scenario.So relatively speaking the car is rare.

Collect what you like and so the collection is desirable to you.

Hope this helps
Eric

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Desirability is within the eye of the beholder. Each collection is unique to the individual gathering them.For example, I have paid 20 dollars for a car that many folks would not offer anything for.Collecting what I like is desirable to me, and in some cases certain models are valuable to others as well. The 1995 Treasure Hunt Camaro is not considered rare by me because there is more than 10K produced including the JC Penny sets that were released. At the same time, its a highly desirable car among many collectors which leads to a supply and demand scenario.So relatively speaking the car is rare.

Collect what you like and so the collection is desirable to you.

Hope this helps
Eric
Awesome write up!!!

·
Administrator
33,978 Posts
The only other factor that I can add is - that it is so flat out ugly no one else wants it. Thus creating a market niche of its own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts