Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen a decal kit for making "woodies"? I have a red Nomad and would like to add wood paneling to the sides, like an old Ford Country Squire. Thanks!

·
Most Interesting Member
6,342 Posts
I don't know of any woodie decals, but, Hobby Lobby has some lettering with wood block background in their scrapbook section. They can be cut to fit and come with like 4 different wood grains.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Haven't tried this on HO scale but I used this trick way back when I was doing 1/25 scale models:

Spray a dark brown on the wood area, let it dry completetely, then spray a lighter brown or tan over it. Now before it dries use a coarse bristle brush damp with thinner to "etch" the paint. It should bring thin stripes of the darker brown up and create a nice wood grain look. I used a 3" paint brush that I "thinned" out the bristles on. use a VERY light tough and only go over it once. Any more than that and the paint will start to blend and ruin the effect.

You might want to practice on something before you do a serious project.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I got wood... ;-)

Hi Dave,

never seen any decals for simulating wood panels, but quite similar to what Dragon described I did a couple of those:

First some masking (I LOVE that Tamiya tape!):

Then paint the area with dark brown enamel:

After letting dry the dark base coat, use a stiff, flat brush and apply some lighter brown paint with only a little paint on it (=> known as "dry brush technique") - et voilà: You got wood! :rolleyes:

Happy painting!

Bob Ross jr. (AKA Claus)

Has anyone ever seen a decal kit for making "woodies"? I have a red Nomad and would like to add wood paneling to the sides, like an old Ford Country Squire. Thanks!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty cool Claus. Nice job. I'm glad you didn't put a happy little tree over there!

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
I have a couple station wagons to cast up someday...Lucky! Station Wagons are cool

Love that Wagon Claus! Yeah the Tamiya tape is great and for just a couple more bucks they sell refills for their scotch tape like dispensers. You can never be to prepared.

Bob...this is agreat idea & still loving that station wagon BIG TIME...zilla

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
ho models on ebay sell a wagon kit with wood decals maybe you could get him to sell them seperatly.I bought some bodies from him and I was very pleased.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rick.

I was just wondering if veneer would work. Or maybe that sticky drawer liner stuff. The grain might be way too big though. I don't know.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
w00t! that's my favorite Claus-mobile! :thumbsup:

anybody seen the new Matchbox Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser? with woodgrain tampos, no less? model year 1971, give or take a year. it's BEGGING for a Tjet chassis, but it'd need major surgery. it's way long. i'll post a pic later if i can find time...

--rick

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
w00t! that's my favorite Claus-mobile! :thumbsup:

anybody seen the new Matchbox Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser? with woodgrain tampos, no less? model year 1971, give or take a year. it's BEGGING for a Tjet chassis, but it'd need major surgery. it's way long. i'll post a pic later if i can find time...

--rick
I google/imaged it. They look good! (I don't care for the green though.) I loved those cars when they came out. I was just a kid but I thought that rear glass in the roof was the coolest! It had visors for the front roof glass too!

·
Most Interesting Member
6,342 Posts
I google/imaged it. They look good! (I don't care for the green though.)
I totally agree about the green. I wish they would have done gold or bronze.
I saw so many Olds with those colors growing up. This green looks to customized.
Definitely not a stock color.
Maybe I'm being too picky about it, but as far as they went to make all the great detail,
you'd think they would have got a color right.

Rich
Does this one have the Rocket 350?

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
The story with the green is this. The color was supposed to be more an olive green as it is a sort of tribute to the Mercury wagon (the one with the dogs in back). The first batch the color was way off, and the 2nd release was a less putrid color. They are supposed to be releasing in a more sane looking white next run. I have a couple of them, but they are way too long for a T jet.. :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts