Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the heck do you make them?

It has been too long since geomety or trig. There has to be a formula to figure it out.

This trial and error is driving me crazy.

The Wasp is what is doing it now. That red stripe and the lifeboats...aaaarrrg!

USS Wasp and USS Yorktown

It seems I am getting closer on this one, but I still don't like it:

Constellation

Help?...somebody...anybody...

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can scan the model and use the image as a template. Or use masking tape or friskit film cut to fit. Stick it to some paper, scan it, and then it becomes your template. Then do your design work on a transparent layer over the image.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
It looks like you might need some help with the layouts. Perhaps I can do something to help out! Please feel free to email me at pnt at pntmodels dot com.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, tried masking tape and frisket. Close, but it only served as a starting point.

Started with an open "spread" circle, but it didn't close in the correct arc.

They were both worse than trying the circle (latest version), and using micro-sol to get it to lay down.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I frequently use the tape technique. It works well for me, and I have to come up with some weird stuff. Sometimes I'll plan some wedge cuts in the decal to allow it to overlay or close up to make the shape. Without having your specific model in front of me, I can't tell you more than you've already heard.

No, I don't have any mathematical formulae to offer you.

Cos I don't know any.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Don't have any math for you but have a look at this image:

If you can give me the distances for A, B, and C I can generate a 2D template from a 3D model and render it at whatever size you need.

And if I understand what you are going for then a second set of A and B should work for doing the life boats.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
:hat: Me being really happy.

Stripe and registry

A - 3mm
B - 4mm for the stripe if you need the registry, it is 1mm and 4.5mm
C - 20mm

Lifeboats

A - 5 mm
B - 6.2 mm

What can I say, these are 1/2500 scale

Thank you, thank you, thanks all

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sorry for the delay. Based on the measurements given above here is the redstripe sample all unwrapped. What dpi are you printing with? When I know that we can finalize the render size.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I will recreate the arc in Corel Draw, so dpi doesn't apply.

Me, and a bunch of folks at the 2500 scale forum owe ya', thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts