Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Again,

Could someone explain the best way to remove decals or tampos from dicast cars like the JL ELVIS collection? The only way I've read so far is by using nail polish remover but it doesn't work very well. Any suggestions???

Thanks
Morris

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I did these two Elvis cars using non-acetone nail polish remover and a cloth. I'm not sure why you didn't have any luck. The only problem I have ever had with remover is rubbing too hard and taking off some paint. Also the two-toned cars are prone to having one of the tones removed as well if there is a tampo on the upper tone. Good luck!

·
0 Posts
60sMetal said:
I did these two Elvis cars using non-acetone nail polish remover and a cloth.
That usually does it. Goof-Off liquid and Q-tips work well too.

Whatever you choose, let the liquid do the work and don't rub too hard. If you use 'cotton swabs' (I prefer Q-tip brand), do not use cheap ones. They don't have enough cotton and can scratch your paint job.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I used the non-acetone trick with my "American Grafitti" cars and it worked well. I just used the cheap 93 cent Wally World special brand. Like they said, wait a couple seconds and let the remover do its work, and make sure you apply enough it of.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
One added comment on using nail polisher remover:
Do a little bit at a time.
Work from edge in one direction or start in centre and work outwards.
DO TAKE YOUR TIME. There is no hurry. Slow and steady - for best results.
Quite often it will take more than one attempt to remove the tampos.
So remove some of the paint or tampos, and then set the casting aside for
24 HOURS or longer BEFORE WORKING ON IT AGAIN.
This lets the paint underneath setup or harden.
Try working on a couple of cheap or less desirable castings before attempting the work on a better one.
Good luck with your project.
I use acetone free mail polisher remover but the other kind works just as well.
And as stated by others, do use Q-Tips instead of cheap generic kind.
Q-Tips will give you a much better result.

Cheers. Cobra

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just out of curiosity... If you wanted to remove the decal, change the color of the car, and then put the decal back... Where do you get the decal?

I'm guessing that you guys are actually painting numbers/designs back onto the cars?

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I have always had success with virgin laquer thinner. Not the recycled, clean up style product, but the type used to thin finish products. I too work with "Q-Tip" brand swabs, and move pretty quick. Letting the thinner do the work and not rubbing to hard.
When I am done, I buff and wax the shine back on and have been very happy with the results.

As for decals, there are several good sources. I would like to make some of my own, but have not gotten that far. (Though several guys here do great custom decal work!) Several of us use Radical Decals for quite a bit. Nice stuff, and you can find them on the bay or their own web site.

For me the biggest issue is painting back the car detail like grills, lights, chrome trim, window trim, side markers, etc. That's just a pain for my huge bear paw like hands!

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I also had used q-tips and nail polish remover....
took some advice from this post... this took about 2 days of wiping, rubbing letting sit, then repeating....
the advice in here is right... didn't think I could do it when I started...the tampo (yellow 'taxi') on this was really thick... but patience worked..
Taxi no more...just a wicked black on black 70 Roadrunner now!

...I have some black chrome 6 spoke HW wheels I was gonna try and put on this, but I don't think I can squeeze them on, little too big.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts