Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Geico ad . . . Offensive?
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you still buy a scale auto replica a'la JL or GL or M2 if it were made of 100% plastic. Is diecast metal really necessary in 2012 and beyond?

This auction (not mine) had me asking that question. The seller has recently had a very nice '67 Chevelle and also has a '55 Chevy Cameo and a Camaro. Seems detailed OK. With all the finger pointing at costs, I wonder if plastic is the answer for the future.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Manufacturing plastic is based on oil which runs out in a few decades so I'd say nope. It'll be hard enough to replace other rubber and plastic items once we are past global peak oil. I believe we already are.

·
Silent but Deadly
4,359 Posts
Plastic cars don't run down the Thunder Alley racetrack very well at all... You need some weight to reach that finish line.:cool:

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'm gonna have to say no. Molded in color plastic looks, well, like molded in color plastic. Getting paint to adhere to plastic is tough too, it would end up chipping off, flaking, etc. and we know how the kiddies love paint chips!
I would be moving another direction and finding another hobby. Plastic bases and tires bother me, but a plastic body? not a chance I'll own one unless it's a model kit. The pot metal used for most diecast is fairly cheap and like a previous poster said, plastic is a petroleum based product, The self imposed eco-police don't like plastic, it takes 100k yrs to break down in a landfill, and I don't like plastic because it feels cheap.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
As a collector of ChoroQ, I have hundreds of all-plastic toys in my collection. But ChoroQ are deformed scale are not meant to be accurate replicas for adult colectors but really kids toys. I would not buy an all-plastic JL, or even one with a plastic base. (Even though, at last count, there is enough oil in the ground for at least 5 decades at current use, with more being discovered every month… :wave:)

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I can't imagine referring to my collection with a new name. I enjoy being a die-cast addict. I don't want to tell my friends that I converted to a plastic addict???
The only benefit in plastic small scale vehicles is the ability to create a much larger variety for my small slot-car collection.
Just a few of my feelings, lets see how these manufacturers continue to operate.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I can answer this one. LOL!

NOPE. I don't even buy the JL with plastic bases let alone all plastic ones.

YUK!!!

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Manufacturing plastic is based on oil which runs out in a few decades so I'd say nope. It'll be hard enough to replace other rubber and plastic items once we are past global peak oil. I believe we already are.
Don't forget newer plant based "eco-plastics", made from starch derived from corn, sugarcane, beet root, etc.

As far as whether I would continue to collect if cars were all plastic, I think it would depend on the over all quality of a piece. I imagine the adult market - if it continued, would adapt with new ways to bring that quality, even with no metal content. But if a low cost item like Hot Wheels, or any other 1:64 went all plastic, I would not buy those... Also, in the event of all plastic, there is a very good possibility I would devote my collection to all "antiques" - meaning from the die cast days, and never buy another new car again.

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,928 Posts
there is a very good possibility I would devote my collection to all "antiques" - meaning from the die cast days, and never buy another new car again.
Already there. Vintage is the focus of my collection and I only buy new chases to sell or trade for them.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
ok i be devil :devil:advocate now. so pot metal is now cheap, what about inflation argument then? plastic? rubber? 3x more for diecast because of clamshell?
Key word "most" brother. You should really go back to elementary school and ask for help with your spelling and grammar. There are varying qualities of metal, just like there are varying qualities of diecast. Better materials generally equal better product. The metal used on a JL or GL I would assume to be of a better quality than your 10 cent Yatmings.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Talk to Tom Lowe from Round2, it's mainly the cost of Zinc.

It's on the Commodities afterall.
Great, I'll make a fortune by selling all my cars for scrap zinc instead of the fortune I was going to make by selling them all as collectable diecast! (sorry, had to do it!:tongue:)

·
Registered
14,323 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
wildbill63, Full Flaps! :wave:

gotta love it eh, did they mention the CEO's cut

thing is, the Earth still rotates through man's folly with it

this was a good one:

The retail prices may have tripled in the past decade but the people involved in the making and marketing of the products are much worst off.

rest assured, never bought into any of it through the years :D

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
wildbill63, Full Flaps! :wave:

gotta love it eh, did they mention the CEO's cut

thing is, the Earth still rotates through man's folly with it

this was a good one:

The retail prices may have tripled in the past decade but the people involved in the making and marketing of the products are much worst off.

rest assured, never bought into any of it through the years :D
Naturally, the executives are never going to go without a meal. Everybody wants their cut - from the worker to the supplier, to the top guy, and the cut never goes down. Chalk it up to inflation. :rolleyes:

As far as the complete extinction of diecast metal in cars, I don't think there is any threat of that. That would mark the end of quite a lot of things in metal, including aluminum cans probably.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts