Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went into a WM while on the road today, and found a clearance section that had a Coke International Nissan 240SX with yellow rims:

Just last week I was thinking that I need to find one of these and put those yellow rims on a yellow JL '77 Z28, so that the rims would be body colored like the 1:1 car.

The package was beat up and this car had clearly been around a while. Knowing that many WMs had marked old Johnnies down to a buck, I scanned it under one of those DIY scanners, and was shocked that it showed $4.24 And this was in the "Clearance" section, mind you!

I found the Toy Dept. Manager (she was all of what, 22 ???) and explained: This car was originally on sale at $3.24 (uh-huh) and now it's in clearance (uh-huh) for $4.24 (Yep) ....... what do you mean "Yep"? $4.24 is the price of the NEW Johnny Lightnings that just came out, most WMs are dropping the price in clearance to a dollar (uh-huh) No, you don't understand ..... you put the cars in CLEARANCE, and RAISED THE PRICE A DOLLAR (Yeah, and???) Stop and think about that, you put it on Clearance, and RAISED the price a buck (Yeah, that's the new price) No, the "new price" is on the NEW CARS, the ones over there *points to regular diecast aisle* (Well, this is the price the computer tells me to mark them, so that's the price). Young lady, the idea of a clearance is to lower the price, correct? (Uh-huh) Then why are you raising the price? (I dunno, maybe the computer made a mistake and the price will come down later?)

If this girl had a brain, she could seriously hurt herself :drunk:

No, I didn't buy the "clearance" car at $4.24 .... I spent that money on some Extra Strength Tylonol, to get rid of the headache I got from dealing with her :freak:

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Gotta love WM mentallity. I relly wish people would check their work over and if something doesnt jive, try to fix the issue. By marking something up for clearance, that should have thrown a flag in her mind that, 'gee, maybe i should see if there's a problem...'

The least she should have done for you is sell it for $3.24 (org. price), if not a discounted price.

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
lmao,some people are alive because ya dont have to think about breathing ttfn johnny :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
(Well, this is the price the computer tells me to mark them, so that's the price).

And herein lies the problem. Mostly because of technology, alot of younger people haven't quite mastered the task of thinking for themselves. If the computer "says" it, it must be right.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I've seen the Coke Holiday Accord (?) in the clearance section priced at $3.24. Wouldn't mind turning one into an import racer, but before XMas they were only a buck. They can keep it even at $3.24.

Rich, I've got a few Tylenol with codeine if ya need one. :lol:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Most of these "managers" have no clue. I understand they aren't collector savvy, but sometimes I find their attitude just plain rediculous. At the local TRU last week I found a large scale police car model from Jada. Someone had ripped open the seal on the box, pulled out the contents and shoved the car in backwards. On top of that, the box was dog-eared and the plastic looked as if someone pinched it all along the edge with a pair of plyers. I asked a worker if the car might be a clearence item or marked down due to the package's condition and being opened, which immeditely lowers the value to a collector. She says, "Oh!" I said could I make sure the contents are all there? I would be willing to purchase the car for a reduced rate." In good condition the price for these run $29.99.

She opens the box and says, "It looks like it's all there." puts the car back in facing the right way before I can even properly inspect it and says she would have to talk to the manager. We walked to the front of the store and we explain the details to the manager who says, "I'm sorry, but if the car is intact I can't lower the price. I can't even lower it ten percent because the box is in pretty good shape."

I was like, "You call that good? And it's been opened on top of that." She said she was sorry. So was I. I told her to forget the whole thing and left.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That reminds me, last year when TJ's was doing the five packs for I think $7.99, I found one that had three cars missing. I kinda liked the two that were left, so I pointed out the missing cars to the Manager and asked if she'd mark it down. "Five Bucks", she said. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Stores are very hesitant to reduce the price on damaged goods that have not been "clearanced" by the store, the supplier or the manufacturer. Any damaged goods can be returned for full credit. I have run into the same scenario at TRU and Meijer stores. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I found a bunch of 10 Packs at TRU once, all missing cars, ask the manager for a discount, but would only reduce it by 1 car, so if it was $20 to start with, it wound have been $18. Stores have to look out for themselves. Lots of stores will not sell damaged merchendise at all. That leads to people purposely damaging things to get a discount. Think about it.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
And there you go...

GeraldE61 said:
*snip*. Stores have to look out for themselves. Lots of stores will not sell damaged merchendise at all. That leads to people purposely damaging things to get a discount. Think about it.
And there you go...
People swap cheap cars into JL packing and return them...
If people found out that a damaged package could get them a discount???
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
one of the local WM`s has 2 full pegs of poker seres 1 on clearace` for $4.24.They were as $3.24 to begin with.They`re crazy :freak:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
GeraldE61 said:
I found a bunch of 10 Packs at TRU once, all missing cars, ask the manager for a discount, but would only reduce it by 1 car, so if it was $20 to start with, it wound have been $18. Stores have to look out for themselves. Lots of stores will not sell damaged merchendise at all. That leads to people purposely damaging things to get a discount. Think about it.
You're right, of course. People are crazy, and the whacky things some do make it difficult not only for the stores, but for the honest consumer as well. On one hand, I would've been glad to just open the car and put it together...but if I want to pay $30 to do that, I know of another TRU that has several of those cars in a sealed package that I'm relatively certain nothing has been stolen from.

But on the other hand, most people stay clear of open products no matter what they are purchasing. If the store intends to return it for a full refund if it doesn't sell to someone who might overlook such things, stating their intentions would have been simpler and more convenient than going through all that. The manager was very young though, so maybe her inexperience didn't give her the foresight to be expedient.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I'm like 70XR7, wow! But I did laugh my but off at you telling the story! Reminds me of the fun I had a few weeks ago trying to buy 1:64 Gold Muscle cars. The chumputter had them marked as 1:24 and they told me it was the $15 or nothing!

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I understand what you mean Rich! I have seen some Franklin Mint cars in the clearance section for months and months, but still have the same original price of $59.94! The purpose of clearance is to sell merchandise that cannot sell, but I guess some management cannot comprehend that.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts