Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so the question is.will dead shorting really ruin a battery.how fast will it ruin it?will it be able to last the whole season.I know people that swear by dead shorting and others that say it ruins the batts.will it gain voltage?thought this would be a good thread to start.so have fun :thumbsup:

also it should give out some good advice :cool:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
If you want to take a nimh pack and turn it into a paper weight then go ahead and do it .

Your cell capacity will deteriorate rapidly without a whole lot of gain in voltage.

With todays high voltage cells , there's really no need to do it .

But as we've said a hundred times ,,,, there's so many opinions on batteries that just do what your cell matcher recomends, they've usually tried all of the above and won't mislead you.

NICAD'S STILL LOVE DEAD SHORTING , BUT THATS A DIFF. STORY.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
NCFRC said:
If you want to take a nimh pack and turn it into a paper weight then go ahead and do it .

Your cell capacity will deteriorate rapidly without a whole lot of gain in voltage.

With todays high voltage cells , there's really no need to do it .

But as we've said a hundred times ,,,, there's so many opinions on batteries that just do what your cell matcher recomends, they've usually tried all of the above and won't mislead you.

NICAD'S STILL LOVE DEAD SHORTING , BUT THATS A DIFF. STORY.
I agree 100%. Never dead short your cells!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
i dont know much,,,,but at the birds in the stock a main they did it!!!!! is more voltage better???? does size matter???? Cmon!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
cole said:
i dont know much,,,,but at the birds in the stock a main they did it!!!!! is more voltage better???? does size matter???? Cmon!

In a situation like that where every minute thing counts and your in the A-main at a National competition and YOU DID NOT BUY YOUR BATTERIES and more than likely you'll run the entire race without even touching the wall ,,,,
this sounds like what we do weekly ????????? Then you dead short , pound your pack with 10-12 amps and after the run you unsolder and throw it in the garbage. I've seen guys blow the heatshrink of cells just trying to get that extra tenth of a volt. Don't do it , get your chassis set up properly and then the competition will think your running HOT cells .

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Jamie - Where have you been hiding?

Dead shorting these cells only seems to kill runtime and provide zero benefits. I made the A in stock at Snowbirds with no dead shorting and Eric Salvas wasn't dead shorting and he won! I have raced with some guys that are dead shorting there stuff, I finished in front of them. I agree with what someone posted above, follow the matchers recomendations, they know what there doing.

Doug p

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if not deadshorting than what?drop them down to a certain voltage.i have heard that it does kill runtime but you need to replace batts often anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Jared like Doug P said deadshorting isnt necessary id work on handling before u worry about minute things because if you goof up you could seriously hurt yourself when deadshorting.

Dylan

·
Premium Member
1,661 Posts
The largest thing is to make sure you store it with some charge. Because of the low internals the cells self discharge really fast.
In example. I cycled a pack and took it down to .9 per cell. I checked each cell 8 hours later. They were all .07 to .09.................This is why the runtime drops. So up to this point, deadshorting has been a bad thing with NIMH cells. We never know what new date codes do untill someone trys.

Doug p,
I have been doing the sedan thing on the off weeks. I hit the BRL oval race a few weeks ago, will be at Seaford this weekend and Steel City the following weekend. YOu should come, it looks like there will be a decent stock class. Besides, I need your help with stock setup.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've had decent luck deadshorting IB's, but I've only done it to packs that had already lost runtime. Example, packs that had dropped to 395-405 runtime, but still were 4.95ish voltage(all at 35amps), after deadshorting, runtime stayed the same, but voltages went to 4.98 to 4.99. Voltage was better through the whole discharge curve. I've been racing them in 4300 Brushless with good success. Only issue is on big sweeping no lift tracks, if your car is off they will dump in 5 minute races.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
My results have mirrored Kevin's. Although the packs do lose overall runtime if you look at the curves you'll see the packs are stronger at 300s and much stronger at 360s. All the run time lost on my packs was in the unuseable (except for mod) portion of the discharge curve.

Dead shorting is much easier than worrying about recharging the packs etc. My packs all seem to like it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Sever_The_Ties said:
if not deadshorting than what?drop them down to a certain voltage.i have heard that it does kill runtime but you need to replace batts often anyway.
This is probably the second reason I quit racing four years ago, right after the motor hassles, can't wait for LIPOS to be approved for racing! Ralf

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
pmsimkins said:
My results have mirrored Kevin's. Although the packs do lose overall runtime if you look at the curves you'll see the packs are stronger at 300s and much stronger at 360s. All the run time lost on my packs was in the unuseable (except for mod) portion of the discharge curve.

Dead shorting is much easier than worrying about recharging the packs etc. My packs all seem to like it.
I noticed exactly the same thing.. I always look at my curve in 1 min incriments.. I cycled the packs I deadshorted the week before .. then DSed them.. then cycled afterwards.. what I found was ... 60 seconds in I picked up barely anything.. 120 sec in I picked up like .03.. at the 180 I picked up .05 240 .07 etc.. BUT I lost about 10-15 seconds of run time...

I did sort of the same think Koback posted.. I only did it to packs that were slightly long in the tooth.. I never tried it with NEW packs..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts