Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is about to start next week. This week's episodes at the very end had a lead-in for Crisis On Infinite Earths. I'm trying to put together a tv listings for everyone.

1) Sunday December 08, 2019 - Supergirl (episode 9) - Part 1
2) afterwards a special Crisis Aftermath - episode 1 (Host Kevin Smith)

3) Monday December 09, 2019 - Batwoman (episode 9) - Part 2 (special day)
4) Black Lightning (episode 9) (unofficial crossover????)

5) Tuesday December 10, 2019 - The Flash (episode 9) - Part 3
6) afterwards a special Crisis Aftermath - episode 2 (Host Kevin Smith)

I think at this point is the Holiday break with the shows returning about January 14, 2020 which will be The Arrow and DC: Legends Of Tomorrow for Parts 4 and 5.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I wonder how close it will stick to the comic book series. Guess after a while the WB has to clean up some of their many alternate Earths!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure how close they're going to be to the comics version but they are going all out on this one. Guest stars - Burt Ward, Tom Welling and Erica Durance (Smallville), John Wesley Shipp (back as the 90's Flash), and Bradon Routh (back as Superman, although as Kingdom Come Superman).

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I watched Part 1 just a little while ago, and I was impressed! There was no way the story would ever end up being perfectly executed. However it was very enjoyable from a long-time DC fan's perspective who never thought a TV series would ever attempt an adaptation of the maxi-series from 1985.

It was a dream come true to find the Batman 1966 TV show and the Batman 1989 movie to be included in the same DC multiverse along with today's TV shows including Supergirl, The Flash, and (Green) Arrow. The DC multiverse allows for just about all DC character TV series & movies to be included. Some have been mentioned specifically, but there's no reason all cannot be considered to co-exist on many of the same Earths already or on their own, unique Earth. This follows DC's original 1960s concept of an Earth for each group:

• Earth-1 - Contemporary heroes of the mid-50s-80s Silver/Bronze Age. Some became members of the Justice League of America.
  • Earth-2 - The Golden Age 1930s-early 50s super-heroes live there. Some became members of the Justice Society of America.
  • Earth-3 - Super-powered beings are mainly villains---some of who banded together to form the Crime Syndicate of America.
  • Earth-X - The Quality comics heroes band together as The Freedom Fighters against the Nazis who won World War II.
  • Earth-S - The Fawcett comics heroes live there. The original Captain Marvel, Kid Eternity, and Bulletman live there.
  • Earth-B - Superman's and Batman's super-sons live there.

It's funny, but the original reason for Crisis on Infinite Earths was to eliminate the confusion new readers had when reading about these mulitple Earths. DC's attempt was to end up with only one Earth. It didn't work. As it turned out, the multiverse (or parallel Earths) concept was much easier to understand than any other explanation. That's why it came back. Perhaps the concept of there being only one Earth will work better on TV. Perhaps that will be CW's goal at the end of Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Just imagine:

• Earth-P - Superpup/Bark Bent and Pamela Poodle inhabit this doggy planet!
  • Earth-A - Animated adventures of Batman and Superman!
  • Earth-N - Nolan's Batman/Dark Knight trilogy characters live there.
  • Earth-J - Justice League movie characters reside there.
  • Earth-L - Legion of Super-Heroes w/Superman fight crime there.
  • Earth-C - Columbia serials detailing the exploits of Batman and Superman took place there.
  • Earth-Sb - Superboy's 1988-1992 TV series adventures occurred there.
  • Earth-ww - This is where Cathy Lee Crosby's Wonder Woman movie happened.
  • Earth-WW - This is the place where Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman fought crime.
  • Earth-LC - 1993-97 Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman were depicted there.
  • Earth-AS - Adventures of Superman starring George Reeves were detailed there.
  • Earth-K - Krypto's exploits happened on this animated planet.

There are plenty of other Earths that can be allocated too: The Superman/Aquaman Hour, Shazam! live action and animated series, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Teen Titans Go!, Batman Beyond, The Adventures of Batman, all of the Super Friends permutations by Filmation, etc. The list goes on and on!

In one of the opening scenes, Will Wheaton appears.......If he has a doppelganger on another Earth, perhaps there is an Earth-ST. An Earth where the Starship Enterprise from TNG exists that can be accessed by the DC heroes! After all, there was a DC Star Trek TOS comic from the 1980s! It'd be fun to see the Legion of Super-Heroes and the United Planets meet/fight the United Federation and their loser pals.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
I wonder how close it will stick to the comic book series. Guess after a while the WB has to clean up some of their many alternate Earths!
Well it sure didn't work for DC Comics, did it? They killed the original Supergirl off in Crisis... only to bring her back later in several really confusing iterations. Confusing was the word as I watched the CW edition; I had to keep my copy The Encyclopedia of the DC Universe on my lap pretty much through the whole thing! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
... It was a dream come true to find the Batman 1966 TV show and the Batman 1989 movie to be included in the same DC multiverse along with today's TV shows including Supergirl, The Flash, and (Green) Arrow. The DC multiverse allows for just about all DC character TV series & movies to be included. Some have been mentioned specifically, but there's no reason all cannot be considered to co-exist on many of the same Earths already or on their own, unique Earth. This follows DC's original 1960s concept of an Earth for each group...
Phrank',
Your lists were very helpful. Still, I forget - which lame-ass Earth was it that had no superheroes, only comic book characters? You know, the one we live in. :freak: Have to say I was disappointed that the CW crossover didn't include an Earth 51 (with a glimpse of George Reeves as Superman) or an Earth 78 (Christopher Reeve).

And forgive me (I'm writing this from Earth 66 or thereabouts), but how did a third-stringer like the Green Arrow get his own "Arrowverse" in the first place?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Phrank',
Still, I forget - which lame-ass Earth was it that had no superheroes, only comic book characters? You know, the one we live in. :freak: Have to say I was disappointed that the CW crossover didn't include an Earth 51 (with a glimpse of George Reeves as Superman) or an Earth 78 (Christopher Reeve).

And forgive me (I'm writing this from Earth 66 or thereabouts), but how did a third-stringer like the Green Arrow get his own "Arrowverse" in the first place?

Originally, our Earth was Earth-Prime. It was the lame-ass Earth that originally didn't have any heroes. When the Flash from Earth-1 started to speed up uncontrollably, he was rammed from behind by a creature identified as a "Nok". This caused him to cross the dimensional void to Earth-Prime, where he met Julius Schwartz. Together they constructed a cosmic treadmill (as seen in Flash #179's "The Flash---Fact or Fiction!")

You can read about it here:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-flash-179-the-flash-fact-or-fiction/4000-144009/

The new Earth-Prime is the first of the Earths that came into being at the end of "Crisis on Infinite Earths". It appears the Earths of the Paragons ended up collapsing into this one Earth-Prime. Evidently, the multiverse was recreated again afterwards.

I agree, it would have been nice to include an Earth-51 Superman clip. I'm sure they could have color-balanced a Technicolor scene to look more modern.

The Earth with the Christopher Reeve Superman was teased at with the Brandon Routh Superman. Although he was supposed to be the "Kingdom Come" Superman, at the end of Crisis they had him fly through the stratosphere as he approached the camera, smile, and then fly away just as Christopher Reeve had done at the end of each of his movies. Since "Superman Returns" was supposed to be a continuation of the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, that moment appeared to be an attempt to merge the Kingdom Come Superman with the Reeve movies Superman.

The "Arrowverse" came into being, because the show, "Arrow", was the first one to incorporate the characters from another show into his. "The Flash" crossed over into his show first, followed by "Supergirl" and then all the others.

For all of us older guys, the original DC Comic universe from the 30s to the early 50s was designated Earth-2 in the 60s. Since Superman was the first super-hero, it should have been referred to as the "Superverse" or "Supermanverse". I guess it's true. Life isn't fair!

btw What I referred to as Earth-J was incorporated into Crisis when the JLA Flash met up with the (now Earth-Prime) Flash in the Speed Force. Who knows what designation will be used for that Earth in the future?

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Phrank',

Yeah, I got the kinda sorta Christopher Reeve reference, but I was looking for a full-blown Earth 78. Same with Earth 51; either could've been referenced with as little as a color shot of the Daily Planet staff looking at an insert of a newspaper page with the story that Superman had been killed by a mysterious bald-headed stranger who came out of nowhere. Instead we got Brandon Routh (who still looks better than H. Cavill in the suit, IMHO) in the Kingdom Come outfit. Meh.

My favorite Earth-Prime story was the one in which Curt Swan nods off at his drawing table and wakes up on Earth-2. There he meets Superman and enjoys a few adventures, including an encounter with armed thugs (ordinary stuff for Superman, harrowing for Curt). Ultimately the Man of Steel safely returns Mr. Swan to Earth-Prime who, waking up at his desk, assumes that it had all been a dream. That is, until he finds in his pocket the flattened bullets that Superman had slipped in there as souvenirs from Earth-2! This was a rare story that was pencilled and inked by Swan.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,123 Posts
I just finished reading the graphic novel, and can't really say it was all that good. Though I'll always love George Perez's art, no matter what story it's attached to. I'd love to see the TV production, but I don't watch any of those shows! :lol: Anybody think there'll be a special DVD or Blu-ray boxed set?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
On the CW app you can stream for free the entire Crisis series, or just watch the individual episodes. I recorded the episodes from over the air broadcasts (free, antenna tv exactly like the old days before the internet, even cable). I removed all the commercials except for all the channel blurbs and ads they stick on the screen nowdays. Then made my own full length version to watch, after having watched the single episodes as they aired.

I buy all the series on DVD when they come out anyway, as I like to rewatch what I like. I've learned you can't always find something you want, OTA, cable/streaming etc. anyway, so shows I enjoy I buy them. For example, I've watched Remington Steele and Greatest American Hero full series several times now, as well as 1966 Batman, Superman, and many others. And I still usually find plenty of stuff, old and new, on the OTA broadcasts.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
What do you record the shows with? How do you remove the commercials? Do you record them on your computer first?

Back in the olden days, one could pause the VCR during commercial breaks, so they wouldn't get recorded to begin with. Another way was to edit stuff out when dubbing to another VCR.

Since getting DirecTV Satellite tuners w/built-in DVRs, removing commercials those old ways aren't possible anymore for me. (My computer desktop is in another room, so I don't have a direct connection to the DVR for dubbing.) That's why I ask your method.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really liked the cameos to the other DC shows/movies (Loved the Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol). I was surprised and floored when they had Constantine meet Lucifer. I wasn't thrilled at the Smallville bit with Clark gave up his powers and settled into a normal life - we never got to see his Superman. When they mentioned going to another Earth for the "Future Bat", I thought we were going to see Batman Beyond. Instead we got 'The Dark Knight' and the Monitor states that 'Future Bat' was Batwoman along which doesn't make sense to me since she is a 'current' bat not a 'future bat'. The current movie Flash in the speed force was interesting and I'm not sure how they can explain the tv verse vs the movie verse now. The ending.... as soon as the Flash mentioned the building was old and abandoned (off the books), I went "you got to be kidding me" so it was no surprise when they showed the exterior. At the end I got a little confused when they had all of those clips of various Earths and the different characters/teams - it was suppose to be on one Earth now but it made it seem that the different Earths were still there.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I believe those clips showed a new multiverse had been generated after they had all first collapsed into Earth-Prime (home of the Arrowverse: Arrow/Birds of Prey, Supergirl, Flash, Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, & Batwoman (.....and The Super Friends/JLA?). I believe it showed new Earths with the following: Titans, Swamp Thing, Stargirl/JSA, Doom Patrol, & Superman (Christopher Reeve/Brandon Routh).

·
Oxidation Genius
31,123 Posts
"The CW App" sounds like something for your phone - I don't watch TV on my phone; seems silly to try to watch TV on a 6" screen. I looked for CW on demand on my cable so I can watch on my nice 42" screen, but it's the one channel that doesn't seem to be available.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
"The CW App" sounds like something for your phone - I don't watch TV on my phone; seems silly to try to watch TV on a 6" screen. I looked for CW on demand on my cable so I can watch on my nice 42" screen, but it's the one channel that doesn't seem to be available.
If you don’t already have one, you need to get a streaming device. I use an Amazon Fire TV. You can get a Fire Stick for about $40. It plugs into your HDMI port and streams HD video to your television. You can get a 4K version for an extra $10. Besides access to Amazon’s library you can use most of the streaming apps like the CW one.

I know the Roku is also popular but I don’t have direct experience with it. Not sure how there library compares.

And of course Apple has their version if you have the money.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The CW app I have is on my phone but I think you can get it for a pc too.

Sorry I'm so late replying. I don't get on my computer much any more.

I have a DVD recorder which works exactly like a VCR. I feed my roof antenna into that to record the show, just like the old days! You could feed from a dish or cable service into it too if you wanted. I use Nero (there are plenty of movie editing and creation packages to buy for this purpose) and upload the DVD onto the computer using Nero. I then edit out the commercials, add jump points/chapters, design a simple but pertinent menu using screen caps I also obtained using Nero, name the disk and tell Nero which burner to use. It converts the movie into the format for burning and then burn it onto the disk. Takes a while to set up but is straightforward. I actually find it soothing to do. Usually, anyway!

I end up with a nice playable DVD which works well on my players, burners, and BD players. I even make nice labels and put them on the disks so I know what's there. A screencap ot the title and maybe a scene from the movie and I have a simple but nice label. Same process I use for the menu. Big pic for the background and the title pic for use in the button.

I've recorded lots of cool things from youtube the same way. Using my laptop I connect the HDMI from pc to recorder and record whatever it is. From the recorder I send the signal to the tv so I can confirm I'm recording what I think I am and that all seems well.

I hope what I described makes sense. It's actually much easier than the detailed description I gave.And it's nice, I copied old VHS tapes from the VCR onto the DVDr then put them in fancy form. I had movies of my family and my mom and me, and converted them. And several old tapes of movies, etc. I recorded as well. It all worked out great.

For the opening scene of CRISIS I added the recent WalMart 'car's' commercial, courtesy of youtube. I think it's fitting.

You can buy stand alone tv tuners which have recording cabability to usb sticks or hard drives. At Amazon, even WalMart! They often have RCA, Component, HDMI in/out connections on the same device. I just use them for my tuners so I can switch back and forth between my tv or BD viewing and the program being recorded on the DVR. If my DVRs die before I do I'll just use the built in function on my stand-alone tuners.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts