Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how strong are the Dash Magnets? I read on an ebay post claiming that they are strongest ceramic magnet available. Are they stronger than Super II Magnets.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I believe it was Tom Bowman who did a review of the magnets on his website. I went to look for it, but could not find it. The basic outcome was that the magnets are stronger than JL or AW magnets and are very consistant.

If you search the web, maybe you can find the review.

Joe

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not quit as glowing of a review but definitely more precise. I wish he would have compared them to Super II magnets. I'm wondering if Super II magnets weren't as good as the AW JL's or perhaps weren't allowed in those classes.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Not quit as glowing of a review but definitely more precise. I wish he would have compared them to Super II magnets. I'm wondering if Super II magnets weren't as good as the AW JL's or perhaps weren't allowed in those classes.
JL/AW mags were stronger, at least compared to the few pairs of Super II mags I had. I believe the official "Fray" rules went to only JL/AW mags a few years ago simply because it was easier to tech all the cars. As far as I know. ECHORR/VHORS still allows any non-MT Aurora mags in SS T-Jets.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I ordered and received twelve pair of the DASH Motorsport magnets, which I
measured. I use a Walker Scientific gauss meter. I also perform a one-point
meter calibration (650 gauss calibration standard). I use a jig in which the
gauss probe is secured and the magnets are placed in the same position each
time.
The DASH magnets were quite consistent in their readings. However, none of them were in the 1400 gauss range; they were all around 1000 gauss for the way that I measure. In comparison, the DASH magnets are equivalent to a very good pair of the Johnny Lightning/Auto World magnets.

Since the initial testing of DASH Motorsport magnets, another of our Club members has ordered and tested ten pair of the magnets. He used a different gauss meter for measuring. Again, the measurements were consistent with the previous testing - around 1000 gauss.

As a comparison, the dimpled Super II magnets that I own, test slightly weaker than the Auto World/Johnny Lightning magnets. And, this was after "zapping" to restore their strength.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Nice job Walt. Somewhere it should have been noted that a BRP Magnet Matcher is by no means a gauss meter, a fact to which they even attest:
This unit is a non-calibrated unit and is used for making comparisons only. It will not provide an accurate gauss reading.
Dan pretty much says it all, and it seems to concur with your findings:

These are ceramic magnets made from some of the highest grade ferrite available and are stronger than the current magnets offered by AW and on par with the magnets used in the original Johnny Lightning T-Jets.
Perhaps more important than the overall strength is that the strength of these magnets is very consistent and are matched very closely.

·
Banned
1,963 Posts
Another important factor to consider is that these magnets are available without having to purchase a complete AW/JL chassis (or multiple chassis to get a matched set of mags), of which you may or may not have any other usable parts from a racers perspective.

Our Dash T-Jet armature should be available in the next 2 months.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another important factor to consider is that these magnets are available without having to purchase a complete AW/JL chassis (or multiple chassis to get a matched set of mags), of which you may or may not have any other usable parts from a racers perspective.

Exactly! That is why our Club (Front Range HO racing) has purchased so many of these magnets. Not only are they consistent in their strength readings, but we can supply new racers with quality magnets at a very low cost (without having to purchase a complete chassis for just the magnets).

·
Registered
67 Posts

Exactly! That is why our Club (Front Range HO racing) has purchased so many of these magnets. Not only are they consistent in their strength readings, but we can supply new racers with quality magnets at a very low cost (without having to purchase a complete chassis for just the magnets).
Bingo!!! I hate trashing a car just for it's magnets. Well done Dash!

·
Registered
87 Posts
mags

I have checked 50+ pairs in the dead center point they are in the range of 910-1050 but at the north and south poles they range no lower than 1100 and as high as 1500. jl /aw are no where near that strong 750 dead center and n/s 1050 tops thats on a freshly zapped pair.
Super 2's are in the middle they all give the car a much diffrent feel on a heavy rail track like a max or 21st century it all depends on how the mags are match to one another and your air gap. Not all arms like the dash mags but some love them .
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 2 cents worth

Purchased 10 pr.

What I like: Price, Strength, Well matched.

What I don't like: Still need to make modifications to fit chassis (Similar to JL Magnets in that regard).

Overall, Thumbs Up!

·
Banned
1,963 Posts
Purchased 10 pr.

What I like: Price, Strength, Well matched.

What I don't like: Still need to make modifications to fit chassis (Similar to JL Magnets in that regard).

Overall, Thumbs Up!
It all depends what chassis you use... The magnet cavities on Aurora chassis are way inconsistent.
I have original Aorura chassis here where they fit well and no sanding was required. I think they were the 'F' and 'G' lettered chassis. there are probably others as well.

Dan

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i have bought 2 pair of these mags but havnt used them yet. i did click them together seemed quite strong. i,m with mike. price is one of the biggest factors also dash seems to make quality stuff. now im reading on the thread that they are going to make an arm.sighn me up!! also like the dash bodies too!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts