Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone notice this? First it was the "Rewards Cars" (most of which WEREN'T!) and pissed off people. Then, the "1 good car, 4 [email protected] cars" in 5 packs, then the repeats in the Easter packs, now the Mystery Cars and Red Card fiasco.

Seems like the Marketing Dept has become especially evil and annoying. I know that every corporation has to maximize profits, but not at the expense of alienating your best customers.

Thoughts?

(And is should be pretty obvious that this thread would get deleted elsewhere, and me moderated. :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quantum said:
Anyone notice this? First it was the "Rewards Cars" (most of which WEREN'T!) and pissed off people. Then, the "1 good car, 4 [email protected] cars" in 5 packs, then the repeats in the Easter packs, now the Mystery Cars and Red Card fiasco.

Seems like the Marketing Dept has become especially evil and annoying. I know that every corporation has to maximize profits, but not at the expense of alienating your best customers.

Thoughts?

(And is should be pretty obvious that this thread would get deleted elsewhere, and me moderated. :rolleyes: )

I agree completly. Mattel is not doing a very good job on marketing. Trying to make us spend more money on there products. That is why i am starting to slowly back away from them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mattel knows that there are people out there they will buy one or more of everything they make. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Zom said:
Mattel knows that there are people out there they will buy one or more of everything they make. :thumbsup:
You have to figure though that for every one die hard collect everything a holic there are at least 10 or more people like many of us that just look at all the new offerings and leave them. People that used to buy more cars are buying less. That has to be affecting the bottom line in the collector market anyway. Maybe they don't need collector dollars as much as the Mom's and kids dollars.

·
Registered
538 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
You have to figure though that for every one die hard collect everything a holic there are at least 10 or more people like many of us that just look at all the new offerings and leave them. People that used to buy more cars are buying less. That has to be affecting the bottom line in the collector market anyway. Maybe they don't need collector dollars as much as the Mom's and kids dollars.
True but you also have to realize that before there were Hot Wheels collectors there were kids and parents buying these toys for thier kids. And no matter how bad the collecting gets these same kids and parents will be buying the cars. Lets face it. Paint is paint. Plastic is plastic. Pot Metal is pot metal. Mattel can throw a a sweet paint job, a few flames and some rubber tires on a car and it cost them pennies. Then they retail them out to places like Walmart etc. Making a fortune. Not to mention that they can do the same with a car and sell it through thier special clubs for $30.00 and peple can't get enough.

From talking to a walmart toy dept. manager. he told me that they make nothing off of the Hot Wheels. They have to order a certin amout to be able to get large quantitys of more popular higher priced toys.

The only people that are making money off Hot Wheels are Mattel and the scalpers.

:thumbsup:

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
They have been doing the one special car and 4 regulars in the five packs for at least 30 years, nothing new there.

Mystery Cars? Can you say Revealers? Nothing new there either.

All of HWs marketing strategies are repeats from the past, they just seem new to the new collectors - say anyone who wasn't collecting prior to 1995 when everybody and their mom (literally) jumped into HW collecting

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree.

The rewards priority cars was a ploy to sell more club cars, previous years sales had dropped and they had to sell them at a discount rate in a VVM pull then listen to people bitch about getting two and three of the same car. Their only mistake with the rewards car was they used a crummy classic, nothing special.

Red cards, just another way to get you to buy 25 cars you already had, nothing more.

Mystery cars, a bad idea from the start. I kinda get the feeling that this idea came from some loser at mattel who was in fear of losing his/her job if the didn't come up with a new idea for the year. The idea had no merits at all and will soon fade into oblivion along with other not-so-great ideas like the $99 Timex/Sinclair computer and the movie "The Big Chill" .

This years easter car five packs, just another way for mattel to get rid of a bunch of sleepers, tuck them in an easter five pack in such a way that a collector had to buy fifteen cars to get the five special ones. The only good idea they had was the easter exclusives and the haloween fright rides from walmart.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Macs_Little_Car said:
They have been doing the one special car and 4 regulars in the five packs for at least 30 years, nothing new there.
Call me crazy, but I remember a day when most of the cars in 5-packs were good, and now I don't like any of them. Not even 1 in 5 in most cases. And I'm only 17.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
funny,
the manager at walmart here told me hot wheels..... it's one of the highest statistically figured markup products they have. they cost the store about 25 to 28 cents each. if they get 97 cents, which they are here, that is over 200 percent. he is quite happy with the return they get on hot wheels.
so, i took the same question to the dist. manager for k-mart, his answer was almost exactly the same. it's a great high profit item. they sold about 400 hot wheels sat. in less than 15 minutes at 99 cents each. plus all the t-shirts at $14.99. that isn't bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
kwik said:
funny,
the manager at walmart here told me hot wheels..... it's one of the highest statistically figured markup products they have. they cost the store about 25 to 28 cents each. if they get 97 cents, which they are here, that is over 200 percent. he is quite happy with the return they get on hot wheels.
so, i took the same question to the dist. manager for k-mart, his answer was almost exactly the same. it's a great high profit item. they sold about 400 hot wheels sat. in less than 15 minutes at 99 cents each. plus all the t-shirts at $14.99. that isn't bad.

Diffrent info from diffrent sources. Thats just what the guy told me. He's been the toy dept head for 20 years and he really has no reason to lie so I don't know... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
..have always been a supporter of RLC/HWC in the past..bought at least a half dozen cars a year...as a HWC member this year...not one car..they are never available as in the past for HWC membership...I think this was a big mistake on Mattel's behalf.. I like the Mopar Madness and the Mopar Metal series from this year's lot though.. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts