Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Sorry Man, I feel your pain though,

I used to have a great vintage toy collection.. Star Wars, GI Joe (vintage in the 70s and 80s sense) ALL of it went to ebay the past 2 months to pay mortgage and property tax... sad days

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Well, as sad as this is, at least you're able to sell it. My hobby shop sales have dropped considerably, and I'm in Alberta, the "Provience of Money".

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I've sold off most of my "high dollar" collectable kits in the last couple of years. Even some good build ups I had made. Now I realize I can always buy another one. I've noticed too that kit prices have dropped a lot, so If I shop around I can probably get another one cheaper than I paid for the first one. Plus so many old kits are being reissued or retooled. I sold my original Moon Bus and Rommel's Rod kits and got close to $900 for the two of them. Now you can buy Rommel's Rod from any decent shop for $22 and the Moon Bus will be out in the spring for $4o. Sure they are not the "original" kit but if you want to build and paint it, does that really matter?

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
djnick66 said:
Sure they are not the "original" kit but if you want to build and paint it, does that really matter?
It does to some. I have a friend that will only build original Aurora's and nothing else....unless they're originals from that company. He's not interested in building any of the re-pops, no matter how good they are.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The thing is with half of the repops is that they come from the original mold... People like that IMHO are stupid. Why waste money on an "original" that you are going to build when you can buy a reissue for 1/10 the value of an original. Like, for example, the Revell reissue of the Aurora Frankenstein. $16 at K-Mart versus $400 for that MISB Long box kit... and when they are done you couldn't tell them apart with a microscope. I have a friend that is oddly that way... he will plop down $200 for a "collectable"
kit then junk it up with tube glue, spray cans, etc and in 20 mins he has an expensive glue bomb to be proud of.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I agree with you DJ, after you paint it, there is no difference,to the eye. Only in the mind!! Glad you got good value for your originals, it was the wise thing to do!

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a lot of wear and tear on the molds that shows up in the finished product. The Frankenstein base is a good example. The small foot stones on the reissues don't fit well with the holes in the grass. There are large gaps there. I sold an Aurora original a few months back and the gap was non existant on the original. The fit was much better and the details were a lot sharper.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I have found virtually NO difference between the original aurora kits and the repops..in fact, I just heard tell that Revell may reissue the mom creature...I just got one MIB for nothing...so I guess I wont build that until I can verify if thats true or not...

·
Registered
99 Posts
I like both... I really love buying an old beat up kit and restoring it to something nice...
But I also love the reissues for kits that are harder to find in "beater" shape, like the Aurora witch, etc...

SOmething about working on a model that is REALLY from the 60s or 70s feels really neat to me, I have to say...

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Well, I haven't had to sell kits to pay bills yet, but I have stopped increasing the number of kits in the collection. Right now, I only buy if I sell.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts