Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Danger, DANGER Chris Robinsonisall! Another Robot build.

So while I'm waiting on the molding supplies for my assault phaser, I must dive into my next project- accurizing a YM-3.

My client had one sent to me straight from eBay brand new.

Clear parts a little yellowed, par for the course...

Wait... the collar clear was glued together with the lines not lined up... looks like it was started & aborted early on, glue streaks inside as well...

Crappy job, it comes apart pretty easily.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Claws up first- cut, angle, re-glue, fill & file.

I'll fine tune those in a bit.

Now let's get those treads to look like they separate a little better. Luckily, every seam comes apart nicely with the aid on my handy hairdryer.:thumbsup:

My own Robot was modded well after it was originally built; this one I have total access to now, so it'll come out SO much better than mine *snif*. But mine has sentimental value attached- it could never be replaced for that reason.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Chris, this looks like a good use of your time. In lieu of the much anticipated 1/6 Robot I'm sure that your client will benefit from your skills.

Did you check out the electronics yet? If so, how's it sound/look? Also, unless it's just the photo, it looks like you managed to, for lack of a better word, de-yellow the bubble quite a bit. If so, how'd you manage it?

Looking forward to another fun thread of watching your work in progress!

Tib

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you check out the electronics yet? If so, how's it sound/look?
For almost three decades old, the voice box works pretty well- and that's good, my client wanted me to use it.
Also, unless it's just the photo,
a tiny bit is, I think
it looks like you managed to, for lack of a better word, de-yellow the bubble quite a bit. If so, how'd you manage it?
That's a strange thing, I had planned to put the parts in sunlight for a few minutes a day to take care of some of that, but it seems just having the parts sitting on my table for a couple of weeks has lightened them some. My own Robot's bubble was pretty yellow when he was unpacked last year, but just sitting out (he NEVER goes back in the box now), it's all but gone!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
You are a committed builder, my friend. Or maybe I should say you should be committed....
No small task ahead of you! My bubble's off to you!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I had planned to put the parts in sunlight for a few minutes a day to take care of some of that, but it seems just having the parts sitting on my table for a couple of weeks has lightened them some.
NEVER put your clear parts out in the sun!!!! This only makes them yellow faster. If you're trying to make them clearer, the only way is to recast them with clear resin. Otherwise there's no real way to remove it without some really shady voodoo type lightening tricks. Red, green, blue, and other colours don't just fade in the sunlight, but turn yellow after all the colour has faded away. This I know from experience, and seeing it happen to other people.

Very cool build by the way! ;)

~ Chris

·
Registered
300 Posts
Wait... the collar clear was glued together with the lines not lined up... looks like it was started & aborted early on, glue streaks inside as well...

Nope. Most come from the factory that way.

I've got several of those big "YM-3"s. I built one and have the rest stashed away.

In every one, the clear collar is assembled with various degrees of flaws. One of them is even very slightly short short with some small voids. And they are all also slighlty yellowed.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
And, not overly yellowed!
I expected you to post here, sooner or later, Tes.
You will, no doubt, make YOURS with treads that work by RC...:thumbsup:
I was happy with the condition of all the clear parts, a little cleaning and they turned out nice. I look forward to your posts, love the work you do and always follow when you have a project underway.......:thumbsup:
I'm always on the lookout for stuff for the old boys. My latest find was this 72mm od, 55mm id, 9mm wide bearing for his lower torso and a 6 wire Slip-Ring to handle any power that might be needed in his tracks.......:p

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked one of these Masudaya YM3/B-9 a few years back along with his older brother, Robby. These are both sitting on my stack, waiting to be done. The Robby one is the biggest problem child, though. The plastic dome for the head doesn't fit correctly. Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem?

Also, has anyone modded these kits to contain modern lights and sound chips?

1 - 20 of 374 Posts