Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
"Thanks" to Milton Fox Racing and 20JK10 that recently mention have plan go to Dallas Convention.
So.... here is my questions:
1. When the convention will happen?
2. Base on your all experience attend previous convention, how much it need to attend a hot wheels convention? It has a ticket fee entry? Need buy the ticket in advance? How much average budget hotel/ motel nearby the convention?
3. Is there a $1 hot wheels for sale at the convention? or at least $5 and above only?
4. If there is any, how much usually a hot wheels car that have official convention decal/ art card?
5. Any other benefit for attending the convention beside able to buy a hot wheels car that have official convention decal/ art card? Is this car is in limited quantity or sure will get for who attend the convention.

If you have additional useful information for the first timer plan to attend hot wheels convention, please share here. Of course beside bring millions of $$$ :grin2:

·
Administrator
26,636 Posts
Most of the people I talked with averaged close to $5,000 to attend the event, transportation, hotel costs, meals and purchasing diecast. That cost entailed traveling away from Dallas to another City and 5 to 7 days accommodations for two people usually. Most of these folks were also shipping or hauling their stock of diecast along with them to buy, sell and trade with other collectors over the 4 day event.

As per the event site - tickets to all the official functions are already sold out and that is how you get the show cars and other premiums associated with the annual shows. They will of course be available for sell there at the show as the daily events progress. and probably pre-sale on the internet auction sites.

Annual Hot Wheels Collectors Nationals Official Website

There will be cars available for $1.00, but most are going to be at the other end of the scale and of the limited and rare or premium variety. A lot of customizers will also be present with their creations.

I am pretty sure the exact location and hotel information for the event in Dallas has not even been released yet - which I find a bit perplexing myself, but that is how they do it.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
1. When the convention will happen? April 4-8

2. Base on your all experience attend previous convention, how much it need to attend a hot wheels convention? It has a ticket fee entry? Need buy the ticket in advance? How much average budget hotel/ motel nearby the convention? Tickets are currently sold out, but they were $75 per ticket. Yes, they had to be purchased in advance. For the convention host hotel, it was $129 per night for a room. Surrounding hotels vary. As for spending money on cars alone, it depends on well you hold on to your wallet and what you're looking for. I've seen guys drop thousands in a single room on redlines and seen guys walk out of rooms spending only a dollar. If you have to fly to the host city, you're going to need a plane ticket, food money and maybe a taxi ride from the airport ot the hotel. Just like any other trip, it all depends on what you want to do.

3. Is there a $1 hot wheels for sale at the convention? or at least $5 and above only? Individual sellers in the hotel rooms can carry anything and everything from 50cent loose cars to mega money original redlines in the package.

4. If there is any, how much usually a hot wheels car that have official convention decal/ art card? The convention souvenir cars are usually $30 each with a free finale car for attending.

5. Any other benefit for attending the convention beside able to buy a hot wheels car that have official convention decal/ art card? Is this car is in limited quantity or sure will get for who attend the convention. Convention cars are limited in quantity to the amount of tickets sold, 1400 for Dallas. You get the chance to see cars and other products you normally do not get to see, especially from the redline era. You get to mingle with other collectors. You get to meet, talk with, and get autographs from Mattel designers. You can attend the Finale part on Saturday where you get to see official sneak peaks of future products and ask questions to Mattel. You can purchase items at the charity auction. This is where Mattel sells pre-production prototypes and other memorabilia to the highest bidder and all proceeds go to a great charity.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To clarify, without ticket $75 that already sold old, I can't enter any room? or that ticket only to enter special event/ room only in that hotel?

Usually beside the hotel of convention, is there any other place nearby on the same date that have similar function like to sell/ buy just like temporary flea market of hot wheels?

Any idea how much the ticket in second market now and is it at ebay?

Since the event is 4 days long, if I only afford to stay 1 night, which day is better for me to attend the convention?

So... 20JK10 and Milton Fox Racing, both of you have ticket already and confirm 100% go to Dallas?

Is it not worth if I only spend around $75-$100 for buying any hot wheels at the convention?

BTW, this convention is consider international or just America convention only? or is it consider the biggest annual event for hot wheels?

Super mod/ vs-admin/ owner of hobby talk, can give any sponsor to attend hot wheels convention :D

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
To clarify, without ticket $75 that already sold old, I can't enter any room? or that ticket only to enter special event/ room only in that hotel? Don't quote me on this, but the ticket is primarily to allow you purchase the souvenir cars and attend any Mattel events during the convention. I'm sure there are people that sneak in to the hotels to do room-to-room buying. The hotel doesn't check to see if you bought a ticket since it's not the hotel that puts on the convention. I don't know how stringent the staff are for the show, but I don't think they go around asking to see your ticket unless you're attending an event.

Usually beside the hotel of convention, is there any other place nearby on the same date that have similar function like to sell/ buy just like temporary flea market of hot wheels? Doubtful. When the convention comes to town, that's the place to be. I'm sure there are probably local flea markets in each city but the Hotwheels sellers will be at the convention.

Any idea how much the ticket in second market now and is it at ebay? Your name is attached to the ticket when it's purchased. The only way to get a ticket second hand is to hope to find someone that needs to cancel their ticket and they can transfer it to you. But there is a procedure for that.

Since the event is 4 days long, if I only afford to stay 1 night, which day is better for me to attend the convention? Saturday would be the best day since that's when they hold the finale and you get the fourth souvenir car with your ticket. If you can only afford one day, I would save up your money and go to the LA Convention in September/October. That will probably be the big one to go to. And then stay for at least two days.

So... 20JK10 and Milton Fox Racing, both of you have ticket already and confirm 100% go to Dallas? I will be there!

Is it not worth if I only spend around $75-$100 for buying any hot wheels at the convention? It's not so much the amount of money you spend, but more so for the experience. When I went to Pittsburgh this year, I only spent around $150 on cars excluding the souvenir cars. It's all about what you're looking for. You can find lots of deals, especially towards the end when people are packing up getting ready to leave. But you will also find a lot of inflated prices that can be higher than ebay. You can easily spend $100 on one car, or buy a hundred cars. While buying cars is a large part of the convention, meeting the designers, talking to other collectors and drooling over stuff you wish you could afford is also part of the experience. I also got to meet in person members of another collector forum, that was pretty cool.

BTW, this convention is consider international or just America convention only? or is it consider the biggest annual event for hot wheels? It's the US only. However, you will meet a lot of collectors from other countries as well. Other countries, like Mexico and Brazil tend to hold their own conventions.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello Super Mod :grin2:
Is it good idea to sticky this convention thread? So newbie like me can find useful info about convention in 1 place.

oohh... I miss the nearest possible from my place buffalo to Pittsburgh:frown2:

Thanks to 20JK10 and Milton Fox Racing for give useful information about hot wheels convention :grin2:

·
Registered
475 Posts
I'll be there :) Travel cost for Nationals and the LA Convention has always held me back. But, since I live in DFW it makes it much easier on the wallet. I'm excited!

·
Administrator
26,636 Posts
Hello Super Mod :grin2:
Is it good idea to sticky this convention thread? So newbie like me can find useful info about convention in 1 place.

oohh... I miss the nearest possible from my place buffalo to Pittsburgh:frown2:

Thanks to 20JK10 and Milton Fox Racing for give useful information about hot wheels convention :grin2:
I went ahead a made this one a sticky for this section. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
If one buys a convention ticket the day they go on sale, is there pretty much zero chance of not getting one, they don't sell out the conventions on the first day tickets are sold do they? Is it true that Hot Wheels Newsletter subscribers get the first chance to buy convention tickets, and is it worth subscribing to guarantee one will get to buy a ticket?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
If one buys a convention ticket the day they go on sale, is there pretty much zero chance of not getting one, they don't sell out the conventions on the first day tickets are sold do they? The earlier you're able to buy a ticket on the first sale day, the better chance you will get one. It usually takes about a week or two for them to sell out. Now with the 2018 LA convention being the big one to go to this year, they might sell out pretty quick.

Is it true that Hot Wheels Newsletter subscribers get the first chance to buy convention tickets, and is it worth subscribing to guarantee one will get to buy a ticket? Yes, newsletter subscribers get first dibs on tickets. If you're thinking of getting a ticket for the 2018 Los Angeles convention, it's not worth it to get a subscription. Reason being, by the time you get your newsletter with the ticket form, they will probably go on sale on their website. If you plan on going to the 2019 Nationals in Chicago next year, then you can subscribe for the newsletter. But the tickets normally don't sell out the first week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts